UNC Chapel Hill Undergrad Vs. NYIT BS/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RB101

Reaction score
My daughter got acceptance into NYIT's 7 year BS/DO program with a presidential scholarship. It is a 12 hour drive for us and we are trying to compare it with her UNC Chapel Hill acceptance.

NYIT
Tuition after scholarship with room, meal, transportation etc.: 35K for first three years and 80k for medical year per year
Prestigious -not so much for the college undergrad
GPA needed for entering their DO: 3.5
MCAT needed for entering their DO: 507-509 (2021 was 508, waiting for 2022 median results which she has to meet)
Research: not really needed to enter medical school
Clinical experience/volunteer - not really needed to enter medical school
Distance from home: 11 hrs
Residency match: Being DO, she needs to do really great to get a good match besides primary care

UNC Chape Hill
Tuition with room, meal, etc.: 26K
Prestige -YES
GPA needed for entering MD/DO: probably 3.8-3.9 to be safe
MCAT: 518 and above to be safe
Research: Got into accelerated research program
Clinical experience/volunteer - Being an Asian, She has to do maybe 2000 hrs to impress the medical school.
Distance from home: 2:15 hrs

Her SAT percentile was 94% with current weighted GPA 4.57 so I am hoping she can meet the current NYIT requirements of 72-75 percentile MCAT median score. UNC is a great school to say no to, but with grade deflation and all the extra work to do, it looks to us NYIT is a better option. She is waitlisted for Cornell and Emory but again they have the same problems of UNC. UofSC has offered honors college and they have an option to apply to their BS/MD program after joining but they take 45-55 applications and select 7 students, so the chances are slim for entry to their BS/MD.

Members don't see this ad.

UNC-Chapel Hill is a great undergrad program. And she has shown that she is academically capable to do so well at UNC, and if she displays the same work ethic and goes to prof office hours, puts in the hard work, I do not see there is a problem. You have said the thing about residency match in which she has to stand out for as a DO applicant, which is partially true. So if she changes her mind, which is very likely, she will have so many options as a UNC graduate in terms of MD or DO schools. Lastly, 11 hours is nothing to laugh at. It is a lot. No matter how much college students want to be away from home, they will always be homesick eventually. So being 2:15 hours away is such a plus. Obviously, I do not know your daughter, but it seems like she is really bright given that she has such great options, got into that accelerated research program, and clearly very interested in medicine. So why pigeon-hole her into one program right now? Bottom-line: She will have to work hard regardless of where she goes because medicine is a challenging field so don't think that just because she may have to work a bit harder to get into med school again, she is in a worse position.

Reactions: 1 user
Chapel hill but she should be prepared to work very hard. State schools, even flagships, tend to have so many people premeds that they weed out prospective applicants early and often

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose UNC. She could get DO acceptances from UNC with lower than 3.5 and lower than 509. If she ~3.6+/510+ she's in the running for MD. If there was more of a price differential, it'd be different. But as is, I simply don't see how NYIT 7 year BS/DO is worth it.
Did you consider the Asian factor into it? I heard from many people Asians with 3.8 and 518 not making it into MD schools anymore.

Residency match: Being DO, she needs to do really great to get a good match besides primary care
Priorities will almost certainly change in 7-8 years. What they want now and what they'll want then may look completely different. Don't rule out anything yet. The attitude should be "I want to be a doctor" not "Neurosurg or bust."