UNC(IS) vs UMichigan vs UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molar_explorer

Reaction score
School 1: UNC
IS
Pros:
  • IS tuition
  • Have scholarship I can use
  • Can stay close to family
  • Pass/fail curriculum
  • I already go to UNC as an undergraduate
Cons:
  • Miss out on the opportunity to experience a new location for my education
  • Research funding has recently been low
  • Faculty Shortages
School 2: Michigan
OOS
Pros:
  • I really liked their program
  • Brand new facilities for students
  • Ann Arbor seems like a great place to live
  • Prestige of program
  • Immense research opportunities
  • Possibly a better option for my plans to specialize
Cons:
  • Alot more expensive
  • further from family
  • Graded program
  • Cannot get IS residency after 1 year (correct me if wrong)
School 3: UPenn
Pros:
  • Great facilities and curriculum
  • D1's will move to a 4 day a week schedule
  • Prestige of program (Ivy league etc.)
  • Great specialty match rates which is good for specialty interests
  • Lots of dual degree masters programs that I liked and can be completed during dental school
  • No internal ranking(?)
Cons:
  • Alot more expensive (slightly more than Michigan)
  • further from family
  • Graded program
  • Philly isn't known for being safe

I feel pretty certain I will want to specialize, currently thinking of OMFS or Perio. I overall want to go to a school that has a very well regarded program and can prepare me best to specialize/ pursue my research interests. Research is really important to me, and I have even thought about doing a dual DMD/PhD program, but with my interests in doing OMFS, I don't know (time-wise) if that would be smart. I know that UNC is logically the most financially affordable option, but I would like to hear some opinions as to how I should approach my upcoming dental education. The only thing that keeps me nervous about UNC is the fact that students have told me the school has lost a lot of faculty members and thus research activity. I work in the school and can attest that a lot of lab spaces are empty, and this worries me both in terms of being able to pursue research as a student and also get quality education from dental professors. However, I know that the school boasts a high-regarded program. Any advice would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! Congratulations with killing it this application cycle!

Did you get accepted to the Michigan DSTP (DDS/PhD)? Only 2-3 people get that, and it covers your tuition, I think. (Of course, if you're asking in the X vs. Y forum, I'm going to assume you didn't get it if you didn't mention it.)

If OMFS is your goal, I wouldn't delve into DSTP. OMFS residency is at least 6 years. The question is whether you want to stick around Chapel Hill for that long.

Ann Arbor is the Chapel Hill of the North, but it's much bigger (to me). Of course, you know Chapel Hill is part of such a larger Triangle area overall.

Reactions: 1 user
School 1: UNC
IS
Pros:
  • IS tuition
  • Have scholarship I can use
  • Can stay close to family
  • Pass/fail curriculum
  • I already go to UNC as an undergraduate
Cons:
  • Research funding has recently been low
  • Faculty Shortages
School 2: Michigan
OOS
Pros:
  • I really liked their program
  • Brand new facilities for students
  • Ann Arbor seems like a great place to live
  • Prestige of program
  • Possibly a better option for my plans to specialize
Cons:
  • Alot more expensive
  • further from family
  • Graded program
  • Cannot get IS residency after 1 year (correct me if wrong)
School 3: UPenn
Pros:
  • Great facilities and curriculum
  • D1's will move to a 4 day a week schedule
  • Prestige of program (Ivy league etc.)
  • Great specialty match rates which is good for specialty interests
  • Lots of dual degree masters programs that I liked and can be completed during dental school
  • No internal ranking(?)
Cons:
  • Alot more expensive (slightly more than Michigan)
  • further from family
  • Graded program
  • Philly isn't known for being safe

I feel pretty certain I will want to specialize, currently thinking of OMFS or Perio. I overall want to go to a school that has a very well regarded program and can prepare me best to specialize/ pursue my research interests. Research is really important to me, and I have even thought about doing a dual DMD/PhD program, but with my interests in doing OMFS, I don't know (time-wise) if that would be smart. I know that UNC is logically the most financially affordable option, but I would like to hear some opinions as to how I should approach my upcoming dental education. The only thing that keeps me nervous about UNC is the fact that students have told me the school has lost a lot of faculty members and thus research activity. I work in the school and can attest that a lot of lab spaces are empty, and this worries me both in terms of being able to pursue research as a student and also get quality education from dental professors. However, I know that the school boasts a high-regarded program. Any advice would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance!!
is "prestige" going to pay for your student loans?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is "prestige" going to pay for your student loans?
UNC is one of the best dental schools in the country
if you work at the school, you should know this...

Reactions: 2 users
UNC is one of the best dental schools in the country
if you work at the school, you should know this...
IS tuition and scholarship?
no brainer...

Cons:
Could be a pro or a con. I was in the same boat when applying and having options. On one hand I wanted to experience a new place, but at the same time I knew Minneapolis and UMN campus very well because I had gone here for undergrad. Similar situation, you know where everything is, it's close to home, and if you plan on staying/coming back to the Carolinas UNC will help with connections.

Also, think about how if something goes wrong, or you're homesick, want to hangout with old friends, etc. It will be so much easier being closer to home than far away. If you're thinking about OMS anyways, chances are you'll go somewhere else since very rarely do programs take their own students, but it does happen. But I think being closer to home is a pro.

I think UNC is a for sure lock in, it makes the most sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow! Congratulations with killing it this application cycle!

Did you get accepted to the Michigan DSTP (DDS/PhD)? Only 2-3 people get that, and it covers your tuition, I think. (Of course, if you're asking in the X vs. Y forum, I'm going to assume you didn't get it if you didn't mention it.)

If OMFS is your goal, I wouldn't delve into DSTP. OMFS residency is at least 6 years. The question is whether you want to stick around Chapel Hill for that long.

Ann Arbor is the Chapel Hill of the North, but it's much bigger (to me). Of course, you know Chapel Hill is part of such a larger Triangle area overall.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I received a DSTP offer from MUSC. I definitely like NC and wouldn’t be opposed to staying here near my family. I guess in terms of doing a DSTP it comes down to whether I want to specialize or not, which is hard to decide before entering school. I have a feeling (at this point in time) that I may be more interested in specialty work though. Thanks again!

Could be a pro or a con. I was in the same boat when applying and having options. On one hand I wanted to experience a new place, but at the same time I knew Minneapolis and UMN campus very well because I had gone here for undergrad. Similar situation, you know where everything is, it's close to home, and if you plan on staying/coming back to the Carolinas UNC will help with connections.

Also, think about how if something goes wrong, or you're homesick, want to hangout with old friends, etc. It will be so much easier being closer to home than far away. If you're thinking about OMS anyways, chances are you'll go somewhere else since very rarely do programs take their own students, but it does happen. But I think being closer to home is a pro.

I think UNC is a for sure lock in, it makes the most sense.
This is a great point! Thank you so much for your feedback!

IS tuition and scholarship?
no brainer...
Thank you for the feedback! In regards to prestige paying for my loans, I know that it ultimately doesn’t, but my underlying idea was that if prestige combined with a renowned education was able to very effectively prepare me to specialize and ensure I can get into a specialty program, then in a way it would be beneficial to paying off my loans.

In the wise words of ivy.ch and big hoss, go to the cheapest school. End of discussion. No reason to pay a single cent more for dental school education. If you want to specialize in OS, the only that matters is your CBSE score. On the same token, UNC is a great program that has great match rates to OS.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the feedback! In regards to prestige paying for my loans, I know that it ultimately doesn’t, but my underlying idea was that if prestige combined with a renowned education was able to very effectively prepare me to specialize and ensure I can get into a specialty program, then in a way it would be beneficial to paying off my loans.
if you are OS material, you can get in from any school
you should go to the cheapest school, and you are lucky in that UNC is not only that, but also has "prestige"...

Reactions: 1 users
In the wise words of ivy.ch and big hoss, go to the cheapest school. End of discussion. No reason to pay a single cent more for dental school education. If you want to specialize in OS, the only that matters is your CBSE score. On the same token, UNC is a great program that has great match rates to OS.
Great to know! Thank you for this!

if you are OS material, you can get in from any school
you should go to the cheapest school, and you are lucky in that UNC is not only that, but also has "prestige"...
I see, that makes sense and yes I am beyond lucky and I completely recognize that. I just wanted to be best educated as I make this decision so thank you for helping me with this!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a resident at a sweet OMS program

# residents from Penn: 0
# residents from Michigan: 0
# residents from UNC: 2 (and they’re both all-stars)

Go to UNC bro

Last edited:
I’m a resident at (I think) the greatest OMS program in the country.

# residents from Penn: 0
# residents from Michigan: 0
# residents from UNC: 2 (and they’re both all-stars)

Go to UNC bro
legend.

I’m clearly kidding in the first part. Maybe the sarcasm wasn’t obvious enough 😂
Of course. But, I was bit confused because (I think) my program is the greatest in the nation…now (I think) it might be the second greatest 😂

Last edited:
Went to Penn, it's a great school, you'd get a great education, but imo it wouldn't be much greater than going to UNC and paying MUCH less. UNC is an extremely reputable school and you have the opportunity to graduate from dental school with very little debt relatively - go with UNC.

Went to Penn, it's a great school, you'd get a great education, but imo it wouldn't be much greater than going to UNC and paying MUCH less. UNC is an extremely reputable school and you have the opportunity to graduate from dental school with very little debt relatively - go with UNC.
Thank you for telling me this! I really liked Penn, and while I would go there if finances weren’t an issue it seems UNC is holistically the best option for me.

Reactions: 1 users