UNC out-of-stater - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laelia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to UNC med for next year, but I am out of state. I'm wondering if there are any SDNers out there who are non-NC residents at UNC (or if you go to UNC and know someone who is out-of-state). The thing I'm worried about most right now is financial aid, since my tuition is going to be so much higher the first year (I know that people get in-state after being there a while, but still, starting out with a lot of loans the first year isn't the best situation). Does UNC offer a lot of need-based scholarships, even to out-of-staters like me? Their website lists scholarships but no amounts. When I interviewed at UVA they told us the maximum number of scholarship award per year ($16,500, which I was able to qualify for) - is there a number like this for UNC? Or at least a ballpark? UNC is pretty much my number one choice, but I'm looking at going into primary care and I'm worried about paying off a huge number of loans.

I was going to post this on the UNC discussion thread, but I didn't want to bother the people who are awaiting decisions (good luck to you guys by the way!) :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, UNC has a scholarship. It's called in-state tuition (which you said that you could get after a year or so of school). This reduces your tuition payment to about $8,000. Can UVA offer you that? Can UVA offer you the NCAA Champions? I think not. Thus, UNC > UVA.

Seriously, why don't you call the admissions office and ask them about this stuff instead of taking some stranger on SDN's word for it, since it appears that you will base your decision on fin. aid. Congrats on getting in (i'm jealous).

rdavid said:
Yeah, UNC has a scholarship. It's called in-state tuition (which you said that you could get after a year or so of school). This reduces your tuition payment to about $8,000. Can UVA offer you that? Can UVA offer you the NCAA Champions? I think not. Thus, UNC > UVA.

Seriously, why don't you call the admissions office and ask them about this stuff instead of taking some stranger on SDN's word for it, since it appears that you will base your decision on fin. aid. Congrats on getting in (i'm jealous).

I just thought I'd see if there were any personal experiences out there. I don't know how much the financial aid office will be able to tell me. Plus, it isn't the first time someone posted on SDN when they could also have called somewhere else to figure it out. :D

*gets the feeling that moving to North Carolina will mean becoming a hard-core basketball fan* :)

Laelia said:
Plus, it isn't the first time someone posted on SDN when they could also have called somewhere else to figure it out. :D

*gets the feeling that moving to North Carolina will mean becoming a hard-core basketball fan* :)

Yes, sorry if I was harsh. But to be honest, if the information you're looking for will determine where you go to school, I wouldn't rely on what people here say.

And yes, by moving to Chapel Hill you are forced into basketball and you'll love it. It will change your life.