UNC SoD objective reviews desired

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midazolams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who attend or have attended UNC dental school:

Did you feel you had enough exposure to clinical procedures in the specialties?
On a student tour I gleaned that dental students could perform a MAXIMUM 5 endodontic treatments.

I am interested in OMFS. Is there any capability of getting a greater amount of clinical experience in this aspect of dentistry during the first four years or is it also capped like the endodontic department.

Rationale: They save the cases for residents of specialties / AEGD program

Please share your experience, any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

D3 here at UNC...

At UNC you are never capped with the amount of procedures you can accomplish during your time. For instance I am already finished with my operative requirements but will continue to complete restorations until I graduate. The minimum endo requirements use to be 5 teeth (3 anterior, 2 molar), but now it is done by canals (9 minimum). However, if you have more patients that need endo then you could do as many as you are approved to do by faculty and residents.

As far as OMFS there are ample opportunities to get exposed to the field other than you oral surgery rotations and cases. The minimum amount of simple extractions is 50, but most people finish with closer to 100-150 not counting teeth pulled outside of the school in externships and low cost dental clinics. There are externships that are surgery based where people pull teeth all day long and get through 200 extractions. We also have electives in each specialty where you get exposed to more advance procedures such as impacted 3rd molar removal, alveoplasty, implants etc.. There are also flex clinic times each semester that increase as you move through the years where you can work in other specialty clinics getting to know faculty and procedures if you don't have anything scheduled.

Basically there are more than enough ways to get more exposure in any specialty you are interested. I think we have 8 people in our class intersted in OMFS out of 83, and it seems like they all have a really good shot at placing.

Hope this helps!!