Undecided about Career Path - Med Business?

undecidedbio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

I am going to be a rising Freshman in college this fall and am having trouble deciding the proper major to follow through on.

Option 1: Major in Public Health - Concentrate in clinical science. Obtain an MD. I however am known to hate biology as a subject, and find the memorization throughout med school terrifying. There's a part of my that loves medical research and biotech but on the other hand, I can't picture myself treating patients and enduring an additional 7-8 years after a bachelors before earning significant money/a salary. Think about the lost time here.

Option 2: Major in Public Heath and Double in Finance, or Minor in Econ? From there, get an MBA in Finance or CFA? - I also have a big interest in finance and econ as well. I know there are some MD/MBA programs around the country but would it be a wise choice for someone who is set on not becoming a physician?

Ultimately, I want to work in the pharma/biopharma industry, or in finance working with healthcare (PE, Consulting).. and don't want to treat patients. Is their a solid career path or am I being too picky?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all:

I am going to be a rising Freshman in college this fall and am having trouble deciding the proper major to follow through on.

Option 1: Major in Public Health - Concentrate in clinical science. Obtain an MD. I however am known to hate biology as a subject, and find the memorization throughout med school terrifying. There's a part of my that loves medical research and biotech but on the other hand, I can't picture myself treating patients and enduring an additional 7-8 years after a bachelors before earning significant money/a salary. Think about the lost time here.

Option 2: Major in Public Heath and Double in Finance, or Minor in Econ? From there, get an MBA in Finance or CFA? - I also have a big interest in finance and econ as well. I know there are some MD/MBA programs around the country but would it be a wise choice for someone who is set on not becoming a physician?

Ultimately, I want to work in the pharma/biopharma industry, or in finance working with healthcare (PE, Consulting).. and don't want to treat patients. Is their a solid career path or am I being too picky?

TIA
Finance. You don't dedicate 7 yrs and $550K (by the time you graduate, the average private med school will probably be over $350K) to go into another field.

You could also do finance and bio. In that case, you can do a PhD in pharm to break into pharma or go do a MBA

Last edited:
Finance. You don't dedicate 7 yrs and $550K (by the time you graduate, the average private med school with probably be over $350K) to go into another field.

You could also do finance and bio. In that case, you can do a PhD in pharm to break into pharma or go do a MBA

That's what I'm starting to gravitate towards. That's a big commitment. What do you think of PhD/MBA dual degree programs?

Also, it their REALLY a difference between majoring in solely Biology, or Public Health, when it comes to getting jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I'm starting to gravitate towards. That's a big commitment. What do you think of PhD/MBA dual degree programs?

Also, it their REALLY a difference between majoring in solely Biology, or Public Health, when it comes to getting jobs?
In my opinion, it'd be best to directly explore those options through internships.

Look at companies you're interested in working with (ex. AMGEN) and see if they have internship opportunities for prospective MBAs. Try and see what their requirements are before diving into different majors. An additional MD, MPH, or PhD may or may not be required depending on the kind of work you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all:

TIA

If I were in your shoes, I would double major in economics and finance and minor in public health. That way I would have a good backup career in financial sector in case medicine doesn't pan out.

There really isn't a reason to major in public health or a biology-related subject (unless of course, you like it).

Reactions: 1 users
In my opinion, it'd be best to directly explore those options through internships.

Look at companies you're interested in working with (ex. AMGEN) and see if they have internship opportunities for prospective MBAs. Try and see what their requirements are before diving into different majors. An additional MD, MPH, or PhD may or may not be required depending on the kind of work you're interested in.

That's a solid idea. I've been researching some and many require either an MD or PhD. MBA for some sales positions. I obviously envision myself doing something more than just a lab tech or trial results analyzer.

If I were in your shoes, I would double major in economics and finance and minor in public health. That way I would have a good backup career in financial sector in case medicine doesn't pan out.

There really isn't a reason to major in public health or a biology-related subject (unless of course, you like it).

Well the reason I brought up the major in public health was that I searched many job descriptions of healthcare equity analysts and IBD jobs and most REQUIRED either a BA or BS in a Science. I guess analyzing science is something they want some formal training in. I'd expect that too if my bank was selling research. That's what brought me there. On the side, I was hoping to learn the ins and outs of Finance, (statements, master excel, fin modeling, etc.).

Well the reason I brought up the major in public health was that I searched many job descriptions of healthcare equity analysts and IBD jobs and most REQUIRED either a BA or BS in a Science. I guess analyzing science is something they want some formal training in. I'd expect that too if my bank was selling research. That's what brought me there. On the side, I was hoping to learn the ins and outs of Finance, (statements, master excel, fin modeling, etc.).
Public health wouldn't count as a science

Public health wouldn't count as a science

Even with a "clinical science" concentration? For example, in Virginia, at George Mason and UVA, (esp. George M), many Public Health majors use this as a pathway towards Medical School, Dental School, Vets, etc.

Even with a "clinical science" concentration? For example, in Virginia, at George Mason and UVA, (esp. George M), many Public Health majors use this as a pathway towards Medical School, Dental School, Vets, etc.
That is something I would email the companies about. For med school you can major in dance if you want- you don't need to be a science major. If a job asks for a science degree, I wouldn't think public health would count (but pub health does seem more useful to the business so definitely ask the companies and go with what they say over me)

Hello all:

TIA
Don't wast your time and money getting an MD if you have no interest in patients and disease. If you enjoyed business and medicine an MD/MBA may be good, but since you are mainly interesting in healthcare administration or industry there are much shorter and less expensive paths to get you where you want to be.

That is something I would email the companies about. For med school you can major in dance if you want- you don't need to be a science major. If a job asks for a science degree, I wouldn't think public health would count (but pub health does seem more useful to the business so definitely ask the companies and go with what they say over me)

Agreed. Thanks for the heads up. The PH degree has about 16 credits from Biology related courses, around 16-20 Chemistry, around 8 Physics, some Genetics. Rest are about Epidemiology, etc.

Don't wast your time and money getting an MD if you have no interest in patients and disease. If you enjoyed business and medicine an MD/MBA may be good, but since you are mainly interesting in healthcare administration or industry there are much shorter and less expensive paths to get you where you want to be.

Yeah, that's what I've started to realize. Do you know/have a rough idea of what the industry looks for? I know of some companies (GSK, Amgen, Gilead) hiring MD's, Ph.D's, some MBAs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's what I've started to realize. Do you know/have a rough idea of what the industry looks for? I know of some companies (GSK, Amgen, Gilead) hiring MD's, Ph.D's, some MBAs.

Honestly, I don't have a great idea. I know there are some top schools that offer Health/Hospital Administration MBAs and they would probably have great networks, but I don't have a great idea what other options are available for Ph.Ds etc. sorry :(

Figure this out right now... don't wait a few years (You clearly need exposure to both sides of the story) - This is literally a disaster waiting to happen.

Figure this out right now... don't wait a few years (You clearly need exposure to both sides of the story) - This is literally a disaster waiting to happen.

Exactly why I'm here haha. I'm happy I've come to the realization before declaring a major so that's a plus.

Yes, but you are quickly running out of time - I would talk to A LOT of people and try to do as much research as possible. Depending on what colleges you applied to I believe some should have a strong suit than others?

Lots of odd advice on here. I'll try to suggest a better route.
1. Don't do MD unless your goal is to work with patients. While pharmaceutical firms sometimes hire an MD who is leaving medicine that's not a preferred hiring route.
2. Don't do public health unless your goal involves public health. While people with this degree sometimes end up working in other things this again isn't the desired route.
3. Don't view MBA as a pre-employment degree. This isn't something to be used to open the door for a finance or pharm job. This is something your finance or pharm employer might send you to get after you've worked there for a few years, on their dime, in order to let you get promoted.
4. For sure don't bother with a dual graduate degree (MD/MBA) in "hopes" that this will be what an employer wants. You generally don't open doors this way and they are only a good idea if you've found a specific job that asks for this. Schools offer these dual degrees as money makers but employment statistics are usually no better than MD alone.
5. Sounds like an undergrad science degree with a business minor or undergrad business degree with a science minor, or a dual science and business degree are the three iterations that would work best. Then try to get a job in the industry you seek. I don't see how public health degree, MD or getting an MBA up front will help you much.
6. Like many of the other routes PhD shouldn't be added just to get letters after your name. You need a path for which this is necessary. A PhD in heady finance could make you interesting to certain investment houses, but it's hit or miss and you'd be expected to continue to work with heady finance. Pharm hires science PhDs but not per se for management type jobs -- so if you want to be a chemist at Glaxo sure, otherwise this might not be the path.

I think you probably get my point. Don't try to rack up letters hoping somebody will be impressed. Get only the credentials your targets are actually actively recruiting for. Public health, MBA, MD and PhD really aren't part of the normal route to the jobs you seek, at least initially.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Don't do MD unless your goal is to work with patients. While pharmaceutical firms sometimes hire an MD who is leaving medicine that's not a preferred hiring route.
2. Don't do public health unless your goal involves public health. While people with this degree sometimes end up working in other things this again isn't the desired route.
3. Don't view MBA as a pre-employment degree. This isn't something to be used to open the door for a finance or pharm job. This is something your finance or pharm employer might send you to get after you've worked there for a few years, on their dime, in order to let you get promoted.
4. For sure don't bother with a dual graduate degree (MD/MBA) in "hopes" that this will be what an employer wants. You generally don't open doors this way and they are only a good idea if you've found a specific job that asks for this. Schools offer these dual degrees as money makers but employment statistics are usually no better than MD alone.
5. Sounds like an undergrad science degree with a business minor or undergrad business degree with a science minor, or a dual science and business degree are the three iterations that would work best. Then try to get a job in the industry you seek. I don't see how public health degree, MD or getting an MBA up front will help you much.
6. Like many of the other routes PhD shouldn't be added just to get letters after your name. You need a path for which this is necessary. A PhD in heady finance could make you interesting to certain investment houses, but it's hit or miss and you'd be expected to continue to work with heady finance. Pharm hires science PhDs but not per se for management type jobs -- so if you want to be a chemist at Glaxo sure, otherwise this might not be the path.

I think you probably get my point. Don't try to rack up letters hoping somebody will be impressed. Get only the credentials your targets are actually actively recruiting for. Public health, MBA, MD and PhD really aren't part of the normal route to the jobs you seek, at least initially.

Thank you for such an in-depth post. I was a little confused because of the amount of different opinions I was getting. That clears up alot, (esp. the part about MBA coming after a little work experience on the employer's dime).

My only fear is if I do a strictly "sciencey" degree like Biology or Chemistry, any fallback career paths may be pretty limited because it was ALL science.

Have you seen any biomedical engineering majors go this route? I've heard that it's a pretty rigorous major but definitely gets students in the right groove.

EDIT: To add, I went and looked at the "public health" major study at the university I will attend. It actually has more "clinical science and med science" courses required than actual public health related courses.

Last edited:

The former CEO of Pfizer is a lawyer (like you) that previously ran McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Kindler

Last edited:
Thank you for such an in-depth post. I was a little confused because of the amount of different opinions I was getting. That clears up alot, (esp. the part about MBA coming after a little work experience on the employer's dime).

My only fear is if I do a strictly "sciencey" degree like Biology or Chemistry, any fallback career paths may be pretty limited because it was ALL science.

Have you seen any biomedical engineering majors go this route? I've heard that it's a pretty rigorous major but definitely gets students in the right groove.

EDIT: To add, I went and looked at the "public health" major study at the university I will attend. It actually has more "clinical science and med science" courses required than actual public health related courses.

Don't get too discouraged. Others are right, though, that public health, MBA, MD and PhD degrees aren't the most direct ways to gain the experience that industry is looking for. You should consider your reasoning for pursuing a medical degree, however, and I frankly don't like that you want to avoid patient contact.

For instance, you mentioned GSK, above. They collaborate with several colleges/universities and offer graduate degrees and fellowships to pre-medical students, medical students, and medical school graduates that want to pursue careers in industry, academia, consulting, etc. I've even seen combined degrees in clinical research design and management. You'd need an undergraduate degree in a medically-related science (e.g. biochemistry, not public health) to do one.

I would advise against an MD/MBA. You should have work experience before pursuing an MBA. And especially if you want to go into the pharmaceutical industry, you need to know, surprise surprise, how drugs work and be productive in generating research. Pharmaceutical development isn't some place where people decide which drugs to invest in and look for startups to acquire, its a competitive research environment like any other science-based field, including academia.

You should also check out the profiles of Wharton's Healthcare Management class https://hcmg.wharton.upenn.edu/programs/mba/program-information/mba-students-2016/ since some/many of their students -- including their MD/MBA students -- want to pursue careers in the area that you do. Those students are some of the best of the best, and even then you'll notice that none of them really have any experience in pharmaceutical development (unless you count things like "solv[ing] talent management and organizational challenges at C- and board-level"); ask yourself why that's the case.

Last edited:
The former CEO of Pfizer is a lawyer (like you) that previously ran McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Kindler
Not sure your point -- he's not an MD and only got into pharm after working in other industries. Not exactly a reproducible result and times are very different for law school grads, so I don't think this adds to the OPs analysis.