Undecided at 28 :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Soooo, I have been reading very inspirational stories in here of folks who have overcome soooooo much and had ultimately made it to medical school, some in their 30's and 40's.
I am a very fortunate person with very supportive family. I moved to the united states when I was 19 (summer of 05) to live with my sister (who is like my second mom), I enrolled in a community college because my immigration status was not quite straightened out. I ended up taking some useless classes with an undeclared major. As time went on, I started taking the higher level science classes Like Orgo 1&2 (both A's) and transferred to a four year institution, graduated with a B.S. in Biology in 2012 (GPA 3.8).
I had SEVERAL opportunities at this point to study for the MCAT and take it but I never did.
After about 6 months after graduation, I enrolled in a medical technology program and got certified (ASCP = American Society of Clinical Pathology)to work in a medical lab. I worked in one of the busies hospitals in DC where I learned A LOT!
At this point I still could have studied and taken my MCATs but didn't.
I quit my job on Jan 14 (dumb move) so I can have "more time" to study for the MCAT. I signed up for Kaplan, paid in full. I ran into a long time friend who was about to graduate from pharmacy school who said to me "Are you kidding me? do you really wanna be a doctor after this?" Meaning I was too old. So I decided to do the PCAT instead, begged Kaplan to switch me to a PCAT course. Which they did, about 2 weeks into studying for it, I became very unfocused. All I can think of was 'why the F**K did I let her change my mind?'
Fast forward today, 5 and half moths after I quit my well paying job with full benefits to study for the MCAT/PcAT, haven't done either. This indecisiveness has been so depressing, I find my self lounging around the house just staring at the pile of books on my desk from dear old kaplan (both MCAT and PCAT)
So now looking onto the future, I think I will be OK, I can still do my volunteer work, shadowing and such and apply for 2016 since its too late for 2015 (since I haven't taken the MCAT yet). I will be 30 when I start!!!!! Also currently applying to NIH research. But now I have forgotten all the materials from Orgo and Physics. Will I be ok just reviewing Kaplan material? or should I retake the courses?

I absolute hate being in this state of limbo

Please feel free to give me your advice and be brutally honest :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Soooo, I have been reading very inspirational stories in here of folks who have overcome soooooo much and had ultimately made it to medical school, some in their 30's and 40's.
I am a very fortunate person with very supportive family. I moved to the united states when I was 19 (summer of 05) to live with my sister (who is like my second mom), I enrolled in a community college because my immigration status was not quite straightened out. I ended up taking some useless classes with an undeclared major. As time went on, I started taking the higher level science classes Like Orgo 1&2 (both A's) and transferred to a four year institution, graduated with a B.S. in Biology in 2012 (GPA 3.8).
I had SEVERAL opportunities at this point to study for the MCAT and take it but I never did.
After about 6 months after graduation, I enrolled in a medical technology program and got certified (ASCP = American Society of Clinical Pathology)to work in a medical lab. I worked in one of the busies hospitals in DC where I learned A LOT!
At this point I still could have studied and taken my MCATs but didn't.
I quit my job on Jan 14 (dumb move) so I can have "more time" to study for the MCAT. I signed up for Kaplan, paid in full. I ran into a long time friend who was about to graduate from pharmacy school who said to me "Are you kidding me? do you really wanna be a doctor after this?" Meaning I was too old. So I decided to do the PCAT instead, begged Kaplan to switch me to a PCAT course. Which they did, about 2 weeks into studying for it, I became very unfocused. All I can think of was 'why the F**K did I let her change my mind?'
Fast forward today, 5 and half moths after I quit my well paying job with full benefits to study for the MCAT/PcAT, haven't done either. This indecisiveness has been so depressing, I find my self lounging around the house just staring at the pile of books on my desk from dear old kaplan (both MCAT and PCAT)
So now looking onto the future, I think I will be OK, I can still do my volunteer work, shadowing and such and apply for 2016 since its too late for 2015 (since I haven't taken the MCAT yet). I will be 30 when I start!!!!! Also currently applying to NIH research. But now I have forgotten all the materials from Orgo and Physics. Will I be ok just reviewing Kaplan material? or should I retake the courses?

I absolute hate being in this state of limbo

Please feel free to give me your advice and be brutally honest :)
Brutally honest? Stop screwing around and wasting money until you know what you want, then go for that in a focused and dedicated way that a simple conversation with a friend won't derail you from. Does that work?

In reality you just need to decide what you want to do. There isn't much anyone here can tell you other than that. Once you decide and commit to a path, people here can help to advise you, but we can't make up your mind for you. If your dedication is so tentative that someone asking you "do you really want to be a doctor?" blows you so far off track that you scuttle MCAT prepping, you are NOT ready to pursue this. Take some time to find out what you really want, and then come back to medicine. Being 30 before you even start medical school is hardly the end of the world...many people are a lot older than that when they start. In the meantime, consider other career paths, and whether they would satisfy your ambitions.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, earthquakes and lightning, you'll be <gasp> 30 when you start. Or even older. You might as well buy a coffin and a grave plot for yourself along with paying your first semester's tuition! :scared:

All kidding aside, the real issue you have is that you need to figure out what the heck you want to be when you grow up. As theseeker pointed out, you're not at that point yet.

I suggest that you make getting a job your first priority. You've now had six months off with nothing to show for it, and it's long overdue for you to go back to work and do something productive with your time. It sounds like you liked your old job; any chance you could get hired back?

Second, you should do some serious shadowing and clinical volunteering, both of pharmacists and physicians. You'll need that experience anyway when it comes time to apply for professional school, and spending some time in both environments will help you make a more informed decision.

Once you do figure out what you want to do, then focus like a laser on getting yourself there, and don't get sidetracked by other people's opinions.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing the above poster... OH MY GOD 30!! Hahaha. I'll be 43 when I finish residency...still leaves me with a 25-year career or so. (Probably longer if the economy keeps going the way it is.)

My girlfriend's mother just finished her degree at 52 and started her new career as a teacher after working in a completely unrelated field for 30 years.

If you've read over the other non-traditional posts regarding age, you should already know that 28 is nothing. In fact, I want to say that's about the average applicant age now for D.O.

Unlike some other people, I think it's completely fine to have doubts about medicine and to question yourself...that's only natural in my opinion. Not jumping into something head-on without doubts simply shows maturity in that you are contemplating the negatives of "x" decision.

What I tell everyone who is pondering a career in medicine is, forget about the schooling, forget about the money, forget about the time involved... Go volunteer in a hospital FIRST and only volunteer in a hospital that will let you get right in the middle of the "action". (Find a teaching hospital in your area - they'll be more open to letting you get your hands dirty.) Get some people juice on you...go smell the ICU...understand the bureaucracy that's involved...

Then and only then will you know if you want to be a doctor and what that really entails. If they have to ask you to leave every time you volunteer, because your 4 hours is up and you want to stay longer, then medicine is for you my friend. :)

Reactions: 1 user
OMG! Yes! Thank you guys so much!

That is correct, I need to decide. And yes I spent Sh**t load of money for nothing. And yes I quit my job and have nothing to show for it after 6 months!

I do believe they will take me back, my old job that is.

Will definitely volunteer and smell the ICU :) Though I have smelled the ER several times while working in the tiny lab located inside there and overheard/saw the screaming and cussing patients (calling doctors names). Thought it was kind of exciting but cannot imagine the stress the doctors are going through.

I guess I brought up the age thing not because I thought I was super old, but because it scares me to death that I am still undecided. Also, what about family? husband kids? where does that fit in?
Yes, I have read so may non-trad posts that were amazing and @FutureDrB that includes you :)

I think my doubt stems from the constant question in my head "Do you really think you're going to be a good Dr.?"

I will take what you all have said to heart.

Ah yes, screaming patients. I'll never forget this one poor sap who was in sugar shock. I've never heard a guy scream/puke so loudly in my life. Haha.

Well, good luck in whatever you decide. Remember, if you try and fail, or decide it's not for you...at least you can say you tried. As cliche as this is, I'd much rather try and not succeed, than never to have tried at all...and wakeup when I'm 50 with regrets, wondering what-if.

start by calling it MCAT. :) no s.

Reactions: 1 users
You REALLY should shadow a pharmacist if at all possible. You probably will have to become a technician. Either way....pharmacy it's not what it once was in the early 2000's. A lot of people look at the money and short amount of time necessary to attain the degree. New grads (from what I've seen) seem to be "rudely-awaken". Just my .02.

@ChemoChef that is exactly why I considered pharmacy, I figured 4 years is not too bad then you are done! and then the money rolls in? lol what is this "Rude awakening" you speak of?I have a friend who is a recent graduate (not the one that was so darn discouraging) but another one. I was planning to meet with him soon and speak with him about his experience. I have also considered becoming a pharm tech, like you suggested, to sort of see the environment.

@worfndata my bad. you see I can't even say the dman thing correctly. ><

Just to keep a long story short and to keep from bashing the field of pharmacy (since like all professions, it has it's pros and cons), the demand that is being placed on pharmacists is much higher especially in retail. Most chain pharmacies have you work 10-14 hour shifts (except Walgreens). If you go the hospital route (without a residency), you will take a significant pay cut. The market is also saturated mainly in large cities (same with physicians) so that may not make a difference to you if you want to work/live in a rural area.

However, it does provide you with,IMO, great financial means to provide for you and/or your family. It is serving my family well. Take this with a grain of salt, you have to figure out what's going to be the best fit for you. Shadowing will provide you with a keen opinion of each field.

Indeed @Goro, I am talking to my manager at my old job right now @FutureDrB which by the way is a teaching hospital :0)

Will start working there and do as much shadowing as I can.

To echo what theseeker said already, if a friend's comment about you being too old to be a doctor is enough for you to switch from taking the MCAT to PCAT, you really need to consider your dedication as to whether or not if you truly want to be a doctor.

In the meantime, ask yourself broad questions like "what aspect of a medical career appeals to me (you)?" What about pharmacy? Are you researched focused, people focused, or quickest path to the money focused? Finding good, solid answers to those questions should help steer your direction.

Reactions: 1 users
@QofQuimica My thoughts exactly!!
@Aelius you are right but also she made those comments solely based on her experience we haven't spoken or seen each other in years. It just made me think more in depth about which direction to go. After picking a path I will be 100% dedicated, that I am sure of.
@Quik Thank You!

Just to keep a long story short and to keep from bashing the field of pharmacy (since like all professions, it has it's pros and cons), the demand that is being placed on pharmacists is much higher especially in retail. Most chain pharmacies have you work 10-14 hour shifts (except Walgreens). If you go the hospital route (without a residency), you will take a significant pay cut. The market is also saturated mainly in large cities (same with physicians) so that may not make a difference to you if you want to work/live in a rural area.

However, it does provide you with,IMO, great financial means to provide for you and/or your family. It is serving my family well. Take this with a grain of salt, you have to figure out what's going to be the best fit for you. Shadowing will provide you with a keen opinion of each field.

Just top reiterate this sentiment. I have been a practicing pharmacist for 4 years. Graduated in 2010 and was very lucky to have found a job close to home. Pharmacy, as a profession, is going down the toilet. You are now responsible for some many things that it is ridiculous. New Jersey just passed regulations that pharmacist can immunize kids now. I am all for collaborative practice and more responsibility BUT there is no increase in compensation or staffing. You are going to find yourself very stressed out. I have been lurking in these forums and considering going back for MD. If you ask any pharmacists, they don't care or want more liability because they're not getting paid more.

Pharmacy, as a profession, is going down the toilet.

You will find doctors that will say the exact same thing about medicine. More responsibility, less pay, less staff, higher insurance rates.