Underdawg applicant - Can someone help me review my School List ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DYiddo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everybody ....

I went through tons of threads and came down to these schools, based on my stats.
So, is this good enough? Or should I add/remove some schools?

Here are some of my stats:

GPA - 3.75
MCAT 2nd try - 24 (8, 6, 10) ... first try was 21 (7, 5, 9)
State of Residence - PA
Oh and English is my second language.

Other than that,

I believe I have solid (pre-professional committee) letters.
I should get my DO letter soon.
Did a few semesters of research and had the chance to present it at other universities.
I have decent EC activities like volunteering, shadowing, student govt, etc.
And I have work experience as a surgical attendant in an operating dept.

And here's my tentative list of (26) schools:

ACOM
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
Burrel-COM
CU-SOM
KCUMB-COM
KYCOM
LECOM Bradenton
LECOM Erie
LECOM Greensburg Seton hill
LMU-DCOM
MUCOM
NSU-COM
NYIT-COM
OU-HCOM
PCOM
PCOM Georgia
TUNCOM
UNECOM
VCOM-auburn
VCOM-CC
VCOM-VC
WCU-COM
WVSOM
PNWU-COM
Western COMP

@Goro ... I really respect your opinion. It'll be awesome if you can weigh in on it too.

Members don't see this ad.

You might get screened out from CUSOM, they have MCAT subsection cut offs of 7. Also you probably will not ever receive a secondary from WCU-COM as they have a strong regional bias to the states of the gulf coast. Otherwise I think you have a good spread of schools you will be applying to.

Reactions: 1 user
PNW-U COM is also regionally biased and prefer students with a mission to serve rural communities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Tuncom, they require a minimum composite mcat score of 25 or above for the app to be considered. What's ur sGPA?

You might get screened out from CUSOM, they have MCAT subsection cut offs of 7. Also you probably will not ever receive a secondary from WCU-COM as they have a strong regional bias to the states of the gulf coast. Otherwise I think you have a good spread of schools you will be applying to.
For CUSOM ... is that a definite cutoff? Like no exceptions? Or is it like for the most part / averagely?
Reason I'm asking is because not only a few other people have suggested other 24 scorers to apply there still, but I believe the DO I shadowed was on the board or something there.
So should I still apply, or would it be wiser to save my money?

And regarding WCUCOM ... advise noted. Thanks!

PNW-U COM is also regionally biased and prefer students with a mission to serve rural communities.
Oh yeah? That's a pity ... I was looking forward to apply there.

Remove Tuncom, they require a minimum composite mcat score of 25 or above for the app to be considered. What's ur sGPA?
Thanks for the advice.
And as for my sGPA ... I had it officially calculated but lost that number. However, I just tried roughly calculating it myself ... so it's probably around 3.67. Oh and I didn't include any Math in that, which I think that's how it's supposed to be now.

Is that good, bad, or just ok?

Btw, I was looking at RVU, DMU, and KCU ... should I add any of these schools too?
Or any other schools that I've left out?

Thanks guys! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

For CUSOM ... is that a definite cutoff? Like no exceptions? Or is it like for the most part / averagely?
Reason I'm asking is because not only a few other people have suggested other 24 scorers to apply there still, but I believe the DO I shadowed was on the board or something there.
So should I still apply, or would it be wiser to save my money?

And regarding WCUCOM ... advise noted. Thanks!

Oh yeah? That's a pity ... I was looking forward to apply there.

Thanks for the advice.
And as for my sGPA ... I had it officially calculated but lost that number. However, I just tried roughly calculating it myself ... so it's probably around 3.67. Oh and I didn't include any Math in that, which I think that's how it's supposed to be now.

Is that good, bad, or just ok?

Btw, I was looking at RVU, DMU, and KCU ... should I add any of these schools too?
Or any other schools that I've left out?

Thanks guys! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Keep CUSOM. I had a subsection below 8 and was offered an interview. You'll be fine there.

Def. apply to MUCOM and KCU-COM as early as possible.

RVU is fairly selective of a high MCAT so would skip it.

Not too sure about DMU, I think @O Grady goes there so you might get better advice from him (her?..it?).

Reactions: 1 users
According to my understanding, for CUSOM only one section with score lower than minimum requirement by 1 point is tolerable (this section is more likely the verbal section), but the other 2 sections (commonly science sections which are favored) have to be good (what I mean good is usually 10 or above). For the OP's Mcat, an 8 in science and a 6 in verbal, so I am not confident to apply in terms of the MCAT... But who knows if OP's GPA is favored and it can compensate a bit to some extent.

Keep CUSOM. I had a subsection below 8 and was offered an interview. You'll be fine there.

Not too sure about DMU, I think @O Grady goes there so you might get better advice from him (her?..it?).

According to my understanding, for CUSOM only one section with score lower than minimum requirement by 1 point is tolerable (this section is more likely the verbal section), but the other 2 sections (commonly science sections which are favored) have to be good (what I mean good is usually 10 or above). For the OP's Mcat, an 8 in science and a 6 in verbal, so I am not confident to apply in terms of the MCAT... But who knows if OP's GPA is favored and it can compensate a bit to some extent.

Hmm you may be right! Where'd you get that info btw?

From my own experience, and some of my friends who were offered the interviews with the same situation (they do well in science sections but barely meet the minimum 7 required for verbal - usually a 6) . I have never seen anyone who has lower score than required in verbal and the other 2 sections are less than 75-80 percentile interview at CUSOM. So this is just my understanding based on my own experience. But for safety, with OP's MCAT I personally won't apply to CUSOM unless I show a very strong rural/underserved commitment through my ECs and personal statement. Otherwise, the OP may just waste some money by applying to CUSOM.

I think you have a good spread of schools you will be applying to.
5n.jpg

From my own experience, and some of my friends who were offered the interviews with the same situation (they do well in science sections but barely meet the minimum 7 required for verbal - usually a 6) . I have never seen anyone who has lower score than required in verbal and the other 2 sections are less than 75-80 percentile interview at CUSOM. So this is just my understanding based on my own experience. But for safety, with OP's MCAT I personally won't apply to CUSOM unless I show a very strong rural/underserved commitment through my ECs and personal statement. Otherwise, the OP may just waste some money by applying to CUSOM.

Now this is a kick in my groin. If I had a PS score of 10 instead of 9, I wouldn't have been rejected pre-secondary (VR of 6). It makes sense. So that was the difference between me and AlteredScale eh...

For CUSOM, when I applied last cycle I had a 10P, 6V, 10B MCAT and got auto-rejected pre-secondary specifically because of my 6 not making their cut-off for a minimum of a 7 in each sub-section, even though I did well in both science sections. When I received the rejection email that was the reason that was stated as to why I was rejected and was encouraged to retake the MCAT. OP, I think it would still be fine to keep KCUMB, DMU, and RVU on your list because it is fine to have some reach schools in there. Keep in mind RVU's secondary is very long......

I loved OU-HCOM when I interviewed there. However, keep in mind they have a 5 year contract for OOS students to sign (saying you will practice in Ohio for 5 years), and their OOS acceptance rate really isn't that high.

Members don't see this ad :)
@AlteredScale @Osteopath999 @JeBrAs .... thanks guys, for your opinions on CUSOM. I guess then it would be prudent on my part to remove that school from my list.

I loved OU-HCOM when I interviewed there. However, keep in mind they have a 5 year contract for OOS students to sign (saying you will practice in Ohio for 5 years), and their OOS acceptance rate really isn't that high.
Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah I read read about that commitment thing. And honestly I wouldn't mind serving there either. But also read on SDN that it's not completely mandatory though. Is that true?
Btw, were you OOS when you applied?

MCAT is pretty low for DMU, our class average was 28.3 but everything else looks ok. If it's somewhere you really want to go then I'd say it's worth a shot, otherwise there are other schools you stand a better chance at. Who knows, they could be more forgiving knowing English is your 2nd language.

I would also keep PNWU on your list. I know they have some regional bias, but they're more in your ballpark in terms of stats.

Good luck OP!
DMU isn't necessarily where I absolutely want to go, but it is a school that entices me nevertheless.
And as for the other schools that you refer to, are the all on my list?

Now this is a kick in my groin. If I had a PS score of 10 instead of 9, I wouldn't have been rejected pre-secondary (VR of 6). It makes sense. So that was the difference between me and AlteredScale eh...
Ooph sorry to hear than man :( its crazy how a few points changes stuff so drastically.

CUSOM seemed to be very stringent on these cutoffs as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah I read read about that commitment thing. And honestly I wouldn't mind serving there either. But also read on SDN that it's not completely mandatory though. Is that true?
Btw, were you OOS when you applied?

It is mandatory, unless you can get residency to count or pay a (from what I hear, substantial) fee. I was an Ohioan when I applied (my entire life actually.)

I think the MCAT is too low for MUCOM.

I think the MCAT is too low for MUCOM.

It's a few points below the average and it's still a new school. Also OP is ESL. My friend had a similar score on the MCAT as OP and was also ESL and will be attending MUCOM this year. They are considerate of that.

I still stand on my consideration to apply to MUCOM as it may be the school that accepts him...so can't suggest not applying there.

Concur ! In addition, MUCOM puts a lot of emphasis on sGPA; so the OP definitely should apply to MUCOM.

It's a few points below the average and it's still a new school. Also OP is ESL. My friend had a similar score on the MCAT as OP and was also ESL and will be attending MUCOM this year. They are considerate of that.

I still stand on my consideration to apply to MUCOM as it may be the school that accepts him...so can't suggest not applying there.

From my point of view, Your situation further strengthens the fact that CUSOM does tolerate a little bit and give chance to those who show very strong commitment to serving the underserved/rural communities, and that commitment has to be shown through ECs/background not just personal statement.

Thanks for sharing anws.

For CUSOM, when I applied last cycle I had a 10P, 6V, 10B MCAT and got auto-rejected pre-secondary specifically because of my 6 not making their cut-off for a minimum of a 7 in each sub-section, even though I did well in both science sections. When I received the rejection email that was the reason that was stated as to why I was rejected and was encouraged to retake the MCAT. OP, I think it would still be fine to keep KCUMB, DMU, and RVU on your list because it is fine to have some reach schools in there. Keep in mind RVU's secondary is very long......

Ooph sorry to hear than man :( its crazy how a few points changes stuff so drastically.

CUSOM seemed to be very stringent on these cutoffs as well.

Nah no worries. The number 26 seems to be haunting me. Considering I was also one point away from an interview at ACOM. Well, nothing I can do at this point.

@Osteopath999 @AlteredScale @O Grady ...

Sorry ... just one more question.

Your help and feedback has been immense.
So I finalized my list down to 23/24 schools.

I got kinda confused and thought that PNWU and COMP-NW were the same schools.
I am just gonna go ahead and apply to PNWU (unless one of you absolutely advise against it), but what about COMP-NW? Worth a shot there?

ACOM
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
Burrel-COM
KCUMB-COM
KYCOM
LECOM Bradenton
LECOM Erie and Seton Hill
LMU-DCOM
MUCOM
NSU-COM
NYIT-COM
OU-HCOM
PCOM
PCOM Georgia
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
UNECOM
VCOM-auburn
VCOM-CC
VCOM-VC
WCUCOM
WVSOM

And may be ... COMP-NW

First, As I said I see no reason to apply to TUNCOM, they require at least an MCAT of 25 to be considered for application review, and they are pretty strict on this. You can remove it and add COMP-NW to ur list to give it a shot. Second, OU-HCOM is a state-supported school and they make a commitment of admitting 90% of in-state people, with ur MCAT score I would remove that school off the list. The class profile for the class of 2017 of NYIT-COM is quite competitive, avg GPA is 3.6 and avg MCAT is 28 with 30% students are out of state. The stat might be higher this year. So I am not 100% confident at NYIT-COM with your MCAT. However, you can keep it as reach school if you want. For NSUCOM, their avg MCAT is also around 28 or higher, you can keep it as a reach school as well thanks to your high GPA.

First, As I said I see no reason to apply to TUNCOM, they require at least an MCAT of 25 to be considered for application review, and they are pretty strict on this. You can remove it and add COMP-NW to ur list to give it a shot. Second, OU-HCOM is a state-supported school and they make a commitment of admitting 90% of in-state people, with ur MCAT score I would remove that school off the list. The class profile for the class of 2017 of NYIT-COM is quite competitive, avg GPA is 3.6 and avg MCAT is 28 with 30% students are out of state. The stat might be higher this year. So I am not 100% confident at NYIT-COM with your MCAT. However, you can keep it as reach school if you want. For NSUCOM, their avg MCAT is also around 28 or higher, you can keep it as a reach school as well thanks to your high GPA.
Thanks, bud!

I'll remove TUNCOM and OU-HCOM ... and I'll add COMP-NW.