Underdawgs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted925364

Hey guys very interested in the field of podiatry, wanted to know if there were any underdawgs here that applied and got in? My stats are not the best, working on it but want to here for those who have been accepted, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

"My currents stats; 2.4 sGPA, cGPA according to my school 3.01, and 2.84 accounting for the F that I received"

This was back in September 2019.

Has anything changed since then?

You need to get off SDN and seriously consider your options or put your head down and work harder to bring your GPA up.

Shotgunning for the next best profession with no improvement behind your grades will not convince anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
"My currents stats; 2.4 sGPA, cGPA according to my school 3.01, and 2.84 accounting for the F that I received"

This was back in September 2019.

Has anything changed since then?

You need to get off SDN and seriously consider your options or put your head down and work harder to bring your GPA up.

Shotgunning for the next best profession with no improvement behind your grades will not convince anyone.
Slightly changed, but thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if I am being harsh.

Point still stands- you cannot and will not be able to realistically apply to any graduate medical program without having the stats to back it up.

Even underdogs put in the time and effort necessary to prove to medical schools they have improved and are ready to take on the curriculum.

I apologize if I am being harsh.

Point still stands- you cannot and will not be able to realistically apply to any graduate medical program without having the stats to back it up.

Even underdogs put in the time and effort necessary to prove to medical schools they have improved and are ready to take on the curriculum.
yeah I get what you mean, just still working having a hard time just not sure how much repairing I can do with all the damage that has been done thats all. Just ever wanted to see if there was anyone in my shoes and was able to get in, if that makes sense?

look at Acceptance Stats thread for current cycle and previous cycles. It will give you all info you need. You will see people's stats and where they got accepted. Lots of contributors there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys very interested in the field of podiatry, wanted to know if there were any underdawgs here that applied and got in? My stats are not the best, working on it but want to here for those who have been accepted, thanks.

Based on your previous posts, you stated that you have 40-50 credits left, how are the classes going for ya? Realistically that many credits = 1.5 years left of undergrad, and if you can earn an upward trend during these last few quarters that would raise your sGPA to closer to 3.0 and cGPA well pass 3.0. Aim for a 500+ MCAT and your chances are ok for DO and decent for DPM.

if you the stats for it then look into BMS programs like this:
Doing well in them and the MCAT will open more doors and by well I mean at least a 3.5+ GPA.

^ I would also look at masters affiliated with DO/MD schools that grant direct admission (preferably) or an interview.
Aren't these programs that guarantee interview or acceptance are more selective who they take in the first place? If OP has 2.8 cGPA and 2.4 sGPA, do you think they have a chance to even be considered by one of those programs?

Based on your previous posts, you stated that you have 40-50 credits left, how are the classes going for ya? Realistically that many credits = 1.5 years left of undergrad, and if you can earn an upward trend during these last few quarters that would raise your sGPA to closer to 3.0 and cGPA well pass 3.0. Aim for a 500+ MCAT and your chances are ok for DO and decent for DPM.
To be quite frank I am trying my best but having a tough time for my undergrad, and I kind of put some thought behind it, I would require a post bacc to raise my grades, as well as theres a chance I might have to relocate, after putting some thought into it I feel that DPM, is the way to go. My dream is to attend NYCPM, locally easy for me to stay home, while pursing a doctoral degree, if that makes sense? Then again everything might change I am still putting thought into it.

if you the stats for it then look into BMS programs like this:
Doing well in them and the MCAT will open more doors and by well I mean at least a 3.5+ GPA.
I'm just very scared that while it is a highly rewarding if you do well, if you don't then your right back where you started, and now just have loans to pay. I was considered it but I am just really scared for it.

To be quite frank I am trying my best but having a tough time for my undergrad, and I kind of put some thought behind it, I would require a post bacc to raise my grades, as well as theres a chance I might have to relocate, after putting some thought into it I feel that DPM, is the way to go. My dream is to attend NYCPM, locally easy for me to stay home, while pursing a doctoral degree, if that makes sense? Then again everything might change I am still putting thought into it.

You have almost 2 years of undergrad left and already thinking about needing Post-Bacc to raise your grades? What makes you think Post-Bacc will be easier? If anything it will be harder since you will be taking exclusively upper level hard science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have almost 2 years of undergrad left and already thinking about needing Post-Bacc to raise your grades? What makes you think Post-Bacc will be easier? If anything it will be harder since you will be taking exclusively upper level hard science courses.
Thats what I am saying, it will not be easier, thats why I think I have to reconsider career options, and I have a semester left and I am done

I'm just very scared that while it is a highly rewarding if you do well, if you don't then your right back where you started, and now just have loans to pay. I was considered it but I am just really scared for it.

Those SMPs are notoriously known for their rigorous workload, almost on par with actual med school level workload. If you are doing your best and still suffer from just undergrad courses, I am afraid you will not fare very well in these programs either.

Those SMPs are notoriously known for their rigorous workload, almost on par with actual med school level workload. If you are doing your best and still suffer from just undergrad courses, I am afraid you will not fare very well in these programs either.
Thats why I have been doing research into podiatry, think its a great field, spoke to some podiatrist that are very happy, seems relatively easier to get in, and theres a school right here in nyc that I can attend (if all works out of course). I know I am going to have to change my study habits but its something I am ready to do and just want to start off on a clean slate.

Thats why I have been doing research into podiatry, think its a great field, spoke to some podiatrist that are very happy, seems relatively easier to get in, and theres a school right here in nyc that I can attend (if all works out of course). I know I am going to have to change my study habits but its something I am ready to do and just want to start off on a clean slate.

With your current stats, you won't make it to the interview stage. You will be asked to take more science classes to bring that sci GPA up. It is easier to get into a Pod program (vs MD) but applications like yours don't make it out from the first semester..sadly!

Maybe look into nursing/audiology/optometry

You're probably not going to get into any school with below a 3.0 GPA, that seems to be a sort of cut off, unless there are other circumstances such as a good MCAT (over 500). You won't even get an interview. Unless you get REALLY close to 3.0 with a great MCAT I wouldn't even apply.

When I was interviewing this cycle (obviously all anecdotal), all of the others in my groups for my 3 interviews had GPAs equal to or higher than mine (3.3 science, 3.4 overall), made me kind of nervous even though I got an acceptance.

Hypothetically if you do get an interview you're REALLY going to have to give a great reason for having so much trouble in undergrad and if you have none other than just struggling I don't see you getting an invite unfortunately.

You're probably not going to get into any school with below a 3.0 GPA, that seems to be a sort of cut off, unless there are other circumstances such as a good MCAT (over 500). You won't even get an interview. Unless you get REALLY close to 3.0 with a great MCAT I wouldn't even apply.

When I was interviewing this cycle (obviously all anecdotal), all of the others in my groups for my 3 interviews had GPAs equal to or higher than mine (3.3 science, 3.4 overall), made me kind of nervous even though I got an acceptance.

Hypothetically if you do get an interview you're REALLY going to have to give a great reason for having so much trouble in undergrad and if you have none other than just struggling I don't see you getting an invite unfortunately.
for what profession did you apply too?

With your current stats, you won't make it to the interview stage. You will be asked to take more science classes to bring that sci GPA up. It is easier to get into a Pod program (vs MD) but applications like yours don't make it out from the first semester..sadly!

Maybe look into nursing/audiology/optometry
I was thinking about applying for January, and I've spoken to several students with sub 2's gpas science and overall and 490s MCATS that are headed in their second year. I have a scheduled visit with a school tomorrow to speak to admissions officers, want to express interest and see what they have to say and what I should do to make it a stronger application.

Podiatry, I'm going to Kent and Interviewed at Kent, Barry, and NYCPM.
what were your stats like? Also from my understanding there has been a decrease in applicants for this field, so it kind of works in the applicants favor, but then again I might be wrong

Change your study habit now while you are still an undergrad and see if the results are viable, waiting until med school/clean-slate to change is suicidal. Podiatry is a very specialized profession right at the getgo, once you are accepted you are set for life without the chance to explore or specialize in anything else, I urge you to shadow podiatrists before making the decision. Podiatry is indeed easier to get in, but the difficulty is still largely the same for the first 2 years of basic science. You have not solved your core problem, a vital one that is, which is your ability to excel in science classes, and that will not magically disappear when you get into podiatry school.

Reactions: 2 users
Change your study habit now while you are still an undergrad and see if the results are viable, waiting until med school/clean-slate to change is suicidal. Podiatry is a very specialized profession right at the getgo, once you are accepted you are set for life without the chance to explore or specialize in anything else, I urge you to shadow podiatrists before making the decision. Podiatry is indeed easier to get in, but the difficulty is still largely the same for the first 2 years of basic science. You have not solved your core problem, a vital one that is, which is your ability to excel in science classes, and that will not magically disappear when you get into podiatry school.
You are absolutely right, will keep that in mind. thanks for your advice

what were your stats like? Also from my understanding there has been a decrease in applicants for this field, so it kind of works in the applicants favor, but then again I might be wrong

494 MCAT and I posted my GPA above, along with a bunch of extracurriculars and shadowing I'm not going to list. It's definitely easier to get into pod but that mainly comes with being forgiving on your MCAT score. Your gpa can't really be that bad unless the rest of your application is great like I mentioned.

As far as applicants we don't need to guess, here are the stats.

Total applicants increased from 868 -> 883 from 2017 to 2018.

Average GPA is a 3.3 overall, average MCAT is 494.

494 MCAT and I posted my GPA above, along with a bunch of extracurriculars and shadowing I'm not going to list. It's definitely easier to get into pod but that mainly comes with being forgiving on your MCAT score. Your gpa can't really be that bad unless the rest of your application is great like I mentioned.

As far as applicants we don't need to guess, here are the stats.

Total applicants increased from 868 -> 883 from 2017 to 2018.

Average GPA is a 3.3 overall, average MCAT is 494.
I see, just heard from an actual student, so misinformed sorry about that

I have a scheduled visit with a school tomorrow to speak to admissions officers, want to express interest and see what they have to say and what I should do to make it a stronger application.
They're going to tell you what everyone's saying here which is to raise your GPA while you can. You also need to start studying for MCAT now so that you're prepared to get over 500 by next year.

Getting in doesn't mean you'll finish.

I've sat in on optometry school courses.

You would not survive either DPM or OD curriculum with your current grades.

Having considered optometry school and applied halfway, I guarantee your stats currently are not competitive enough.

Prove it with your current classes first then come back when you have more leverage.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey OP. Not trying to burst your bubble, but the curriculum at NYCPM will eat you alive.
Your grades reflect bad work ethics/study habits that will make your time at NYCPM miserable.
As Weirdy pointed out, you need to work on your habits because getting in doesn't mean you will finish.