undergrad degree but no science background, looking to pursue dentistry, input on postbac programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agrossbl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college in 2012 with a degree in the humanities. Now I'm interested in becoming a dentist but am obviously not ready to apply for dental school. I've been researching post-bacc dental programs but it looks like many of them are geared toward people who need to boost their GPA's or have already tried applying to dental school, or are economically disadvantaged (none of those apply to me). So I'm wondering

-if there were any programs you could recommend that suit my situation
-whether it makes much difference if I complete a program, or just take the classes I need at a local college
-whether/how much dental schools care how/where you get those credits (i.e. taking the courses i need at a more prestigious school, whether certain pre-dental programs are better regarded than others, etc.) Aside from not having science, my undergrad record is solid (good GPA from a good school).
-if anyone is or has been in a similar situation and could share their experiences.

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have an undergrad degree then all you need to do is go back and take those extra pre requisite classes (like gen chem 1 and 2, organic chemistry 1 and 2, bio classes, biochemistry, etc.) that you probably didn't take while you were undergrad. Also, from what I have heard it does not matter in particular where you take them (as long as it is a four year accredited university) as long as you do well in them and maintain a high GPA (in your scenario, a high science GPA).

I graduated from college in 2012 with a degree in the humanities. Now I'm interested in becoming a dentist but am obviously not ready to apply for dental school. I've been researching post-bacc dental programs but it looks like many of them are geared toward people who need to boost their GPA's or have already tried applying to dental school, or are economically disadvantaged (none of those apply to me). So I'm wondering

-if there were any programs you could recommend that suit my situation
-whether it makes much difference if I complete a program, or just take the classes I need at a local college
-whether/how much dental schools care how/where you get those credits (i.e. taking the courses i need at a more prestigious school, whether certain pre-dental programs are better regarded than others, etc.) Aside from not having science, my undergrad record is solid (good GPA from a good school).
-if anyone is or has been in a similar situation and could share their experiences.

thanks in advance!
Post-bacc programs are only for those who have finished the necessary prerequisites for dental school and need a significant boost to their application due to, the majority of the time, poor grades. It currently does not apply to your scenario.

What you need to do is to go back to a 4 year university and take the prereqs for dental school and do well in them. Due to the heavy competition to get into dental school, it is advisable for you to get the best grades you can while maintaining some sort of extracurricular schedule such as shadowing a general dentist and volunteering. Scientific research may also provide a boost, especially to some programs. In addition, I would advise you to actually start shadowing now to see if this career path is truly the right fit for you.

In general the prereqs needed are:
Bio I and II w/labs
Chem I and II w/labs
Ochem I and II w/labs
Physics I and II w/labs
Freshman English I and II

The vast majority of schools now require:
Anatomy
Physiology
Biochemistry
Microbiology
as an addition to the above prereqs to show them that you are capable of handling a rigourous science courseload.

You could start slowly with a class or two at a community college to get a feel for the sciences and to save money. But be aware that some schools do not accept CC credits (Tufts, Boston U, etc) You should always finish prereqs at a 4 year university, especially the higher science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you located? I know here in Southern California, we have CSU Fullerton that has a post-bacc that accepts student that DID NOT major in a science. They do require that you have 1 math class (calculus I think) and and introductory chemistry class complete, though.

The other post-bacc I know of that is geared towards "career-changers" is the one at CSU San Marcos. This is the one I applied to. They only accept non-science degree holders and they have a 51 unit pattern of courses. I did not have calculus or general chemistry finished, so I did not apply to CSU Fullerton.

All of this information I've given is only useful if you're in California or willing to move to California. So... I'm sure there are similar programs, wherever you are. I chose to do a formal post-bacc (if I am accepted, that is), because I like the guarantee of getting the classes I need. Also, financial aid plays a big role in it too. By knowing that you will get a full time schedule, you won't have to worry about scrambling to get extra classes to receive aid.

Going the "a la carte" method, or informal post bacc, is risky because you may not get into the classes you need depending on your registration priority status. Being that you have a degree already, your status will probably be low.

@ICUrunning - this is wrong. There are post-bacc programs geared towards people who have never taken a single science course in their life.

Plus, like I've said in my post, it will be VERY difficult getting courses if you just went back to your 4 year. The post bacc I applied for is a formal, cohort based, program. You are in class with your cohort and don't have to worry about scheduling for your classes. The classes you are in are put aside only for the post-bacc members. I'm sure other programs are similar.

@ICUrunning - this is wrong. There are post-bacc programs geared towards people who have never taken a single science course in their life.

Plus, like I've said in my post, it will be VERY difficult getting courses if you just went back to your 4 year. The post bacc I applied for is a formal, cohort based, program. You are in class with your cohort and don't have to worry about scheduling for your classes. The classes you are in are put aside only for the post-bacc members. I'm sure other programs are similar.
Ok, I did not realize that there were programs like that. Can you post a link to your program or others that you know of?
That should be helpful for the OP and others in the same scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-bacc programs are only for those who have finished the necessary prerequisites for dental school and need a significant boost to their application due to, the majority of the time, poor grades. It currently does not apply to your scenario.

FWIW, the pre-health post-bacc programs at my university are all for those who need the necessary prerequisites for dental/medical/veterinary/pharmacy school.

EDIT: Which I see someone already mentioned :)

Just take the classes you need.

In my case, having a formal program was advantageous in regards to federal loans. If you are not enrolled in undergraduate courses in pursuit of a degree, you have a limit on how long you are able to get loans. I can't remember all the rules involved, but to get things done quickly for me took two years.

Where are you located? I know here in Southern California, we have CSU Fullerton that has a post-bacc that accepts student that DID NOT major in a science. They do require that you have 1 math class (calculus I think) and and introductory chemistry class complete, though.

The other post-bacc I know of that is geared towards "career-changers" is the one at CSU San Marcos. This is the one I applied to. They only accept non-science degree holders and they have a 51 unit pattern of courses. I did not have calculus or general chemistry finished, so I did not apply to CSU Fullerton.

All of this information I've given is only useful if you're in California or willing to move to California. So... I'm sure there are similar programs, wherever you are. I chose to do a formal post-bacc (if I am accepted, that is), because I like the guarantee of getting the classes I need. Also, financial aid plays a big role in it too. By knowing that you will get a full time schedule, you won't have to worry about scrambling to get extra classes to receive aid.

Going the "a la carte" method, or informal post bacc, is risky because you may not get into the classes you need depending on your registration priority status. Being that you have a degree already, your status will probably be low.

I was actually going to ask my financial aid advisor this question, but perhaps you could answer. Do you have to be full time to receive financial aid? Or can you qualify for student loans as a part time student?

To the OP, I am currently in the same situation as you. For what it's worth, I am doing the informal post bacc and just taking classes at the university where I received my undergrad. So far I haven't had any scheduling issues. Hopefully it stays that way. Good luck with whatever you decide.

University of Florida has a postbac program for those who were not majored in science at college and want to get into health professions now. It is a two year program I think.

@jmcunnin - I am not completely sure. What I can say with a fair amount of certainty is that if you are NOT full-time, you will NOT receive 100% of the financial aid offered to you. So, a student taking 6 units (or half-time) won't be allowed to receive the same amount of aid as a full-time student. It makes sense, otherwise everyone would be going to school half-time and enjoying the extra financial aid refund. You will have to ask your financial aid advisor for specifics regarding your state, but as far as federal goes, typically you can qualify, but you will qualify for less if only part-time.

I live in CA, so nearly every public university is impacted, therefore competition for classes is pretty dang fierce. Over here, 2nd bachelor's and informal post-bacc students get the bottom of the barrel when it comes to registering for classes. If you live in a state where your universities are not as overwhelmed as the ones here in CA, then doing the "a la carte" method will be cheaper and potentially faster (you can really load up the classes as opposed to being obligated to a formal structure, like the one I applied to, which averages 12 units per term).

@jmcunnin - I am not completely sure. What I can say with a fair amount of certainty is that if you are NOT full-time, you will NOT receive 100% of the financial aid offered to you. So, a student taking 6 units (or half-time) won't be allowed to receive the same amount of aid as a full-time student. It makes sense, otherwise everyone would be going to school half-time and enjoying the extra financial aid refund. You will have to ask your financial aid advisor for specifics regarding your state, but as far as federal goes, typically you can qualify, but you will qualify for less if only part-time.

I live in CA, so nearly every public university is impacted, therefore competition for classes is pretty dang fierce. Over here, 2nd bachelor's and informal post-bacc students get the bottom of the barrel when it comes to registering for classes. If you live in a state where your universities are not as overwhelmed as the ones here in CA, then doing the "a la carte" method will be cheaper and potentially faster (you can really load up the classes as opposed to being obligated to a formal structure, like the one I applied to, which averages 12 units per term).

Thank you for your response. Yeah I wasn't sure if you would be completely disqualified from receiving aid, or if it is just prorated based on the number of credit hours you are taking.

I haven't had any problems with scheduling classes so for me it's working out well, but I can see how in certain states it wouldn't be a good idea. But yes I am able to do it fairly quickly. I took 4 classes last semester, and 6 this semester. I'm not going to take as many next semester though (hence my question about financial aid) because I want to allow myself time to prepare for the DAT. Thanks again for your response!

You are wise in giving yourself enough cushion to prepare for the DAT. That is the epicentre of the application, it has to be acceptable enough in relation to your other metrics.

Maybe take an art class to get you to full time? Dentistry is an art, after all. Ceramics or something similar could look good for your application. Just food for thought. It's more to pay for, though.

You are wise in giving yourself enough cushion to prepare for the DAT. That is the epicentre of the application, it has to be acceptable enough in relation to your other metrics.

Maybe take an art class to get you to full time? Dentistry is an art, after all. Ceramics or something similar could look good for your application. Just food for thought. It's more to pay for, though.

Yeah I'll consider taking another class or so to go full time if I have to. We'll see what happens..trying to take this one semester at time, but it can be overwhelming trying to plan ahead. Studying for the DAT, shadowing, volunteering, etc. Not to mention, I'm in the process of trying to sell my house as quickly as possible. So many different things going on haha. Oh well..trying to make the best of it!

I graduated from college in 2008 with a fine arts degree. I completed the Scripps Post-Baccalaureate premedical program (a 1 yr program for career changers). It was an excellent experience, and I couldn't have asked for more. Most (if not all) formal premed programs also take pre-dents. Try Scripps, Goucher, Johns Hopkins, Brandeis, USC, etc...these are all tailored towards "career changers" like you. You can also complete the pre-reqs on your own (for example, major university "extension schools").

Last edited:
When I went back to school after my psych degree I was officially a second bachelor student in pursuit of a Biology degree, however I had no intentions of completing the bio degree. This way I could knock out the prerequisites with federal funding but also take classes that weren't part of a formal post-bacc program. Whatever you choose, choose the cheapest 4 year university schooling you can find, dental school ain't cheap!!! As long as its not a community college, all the dental schools will care about is your science and BCP GPA, so keep them grades up and good luck!!! :thumbup:

this was very helpful for me a lot! thanks guys! @firelight1 I am considering going back to school to get my second BA in pre-dental, biology, or chemistry.
I previously majored Arts also. was pre- dental was good choice for you? I would be appreciate if you give me some thoughts. Thanks.

Hi @D.M.D. Miller, if you already have a BA, completing a full second BA degree might be more time and effort than you need, although I don't know your situation. The post-baccalaureate programs are usually "certificate" programs rather than degree programs.

Re: going from arts to dentistry-- fine art skills show the dental school admissions committees that good you have good hand skills and visual perception, which are very important in dentistry!

Yes, echoing what people have said already, do a formal post bac for career changers, get good grades, letters, dat score, and extra curriculars. Dental schools will not care how prestigious the school is at all, just make sure it is a 4 year university. I'd recommend against doing a lot of prereqs at a community college (one or two upperdivs PROB wouldn't be a problem). Msg me if you have any questions as I went through the career changers post bacc

Hi @D.M.D. Miller, if you already have a BA, completing a full second BA degree might be more time and effort than you need, although I don't know your situation. The post-baccalaureate programs are usually "certificate" programs rather than degree programs.

Re: going from arts to dentistry-- fine art skills show the dental school admissions committees that good you have good hand skills and visual perception, which are very important in dentistry!

Thank you so much for your input. I have international B.A in Culinary Arts. I decided that I will just take all the pre requisite and see from there. but the thing is in order to get scholor ship I have to have a mjaor. :/

When I went back to school after my psych degree I was officially a second bachelor student in pursuit of a Biology degree, however I had no intentions of completing the bio degree. This way I could knock out the prerequisites with federal funding but also take classes that weren't part of a formal post-bacc program. Whatever you choose, choose the cheapest 4 year university schooling you can find, dental school ain't cheap!!! As long as its not a community college, all the dental schools will care about is your science and BCP GPA, so keep them grades up and good luck!!! :thumbup:

I did the exact same thing. FYI OP - you can receive federal funding being part time but not if you are a non-degree student (and I learned that the hard way). So this is why claiming a second undergrad degree is necessary. And yeah, you get crappy priority for registering for classes - I had to email all professors for permission to get in the class/on the wait list - but everything worked out fine since people always drop classes, especially science classes.