undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yessira

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick dumb question: So when people say that they got into medical school with a 3.XX GPA, is that the GPA they applied with (before their last year of undergrad)? Or does it mean their GPA after their second to last semester? Or their last semester? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick dumb question: So when people say that they got into medical school with a 3.XX GPA, is that the GPA they applied with (before their last year of undergrad)? Or does it mean their GPA after their second to last semester? Or their last semester? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's probably the GPA they applied with. I don't think anyone really cares about what happens after acceptance.

I agree with LastPolarbear, the GPA is most often the one reported on the AMCAS application. I believe school's entering class statistics (GPA's) reflect AMCAS application GPA's, not final transcripts submitted by entering students. This is logical because students want to determine their competitiveness at the time of application by looking at "entering class statistics," and AMCAS GPA's are the best measure.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably the GPA they applied with. I don't think anyone really cares about what happens after acceptance.

When you do apply and hopefully get accepted, don't fall into the trap of slacking off after your acceptance. You may be in a situation where you are waitlisted at your top choice and need to send in updated transcripts or you may be invited to interview for a full scholarship in the spring and they will ask what your last grades were.

Yep - if you're applying after your 3rd year then it's your GPA at that time (can't tell the future!). But NSDQ is right - don't throw away your 4th year GPA wise or you might put yourself in a bad spot.

Do they see the first semester GPA of the year during which you apply?

Do they see the first semester GPA of the year during which you apply?

Only if they request updated transcripts (which only a few schools do). Or if you volunteer this information in hopes of improving your chances of getting interviewed and/or accepted.