MPH Undergrad student NEED HELP/ADVICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dms6005

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently an undergrad student in my third year, and will be graduating in May 2017 with a B.S. in Kinesiology.

For the past few years, PT has been my career interest, but now I'm not so sure. Taking more of the upper level Kinesiology courses has opened my eyes to many more options, and now I'm even more confused! (I am 20 years old but feel like I'm still 12, how am I supposed to know what to do with my life after graduation?!?!) Recently I have gained an interest in public health (thanks to my epidemiology class among many other reasons). I have only just started researching things about public health careers/graduate school, so while I now have a general understanding, I'm still a little new to this.

I don't have very specific questions at the moment; I would like to get an idea of where I stand and what chances I have in getting accepted to an MPH program either directly after graduation or a year or two after I graduate. Do I need a TON of public health related experience to be considered? Where do I look to get my foot in the door in the public health scene (internships, entry level jobs, etc)? I will post my current stats below.

-B.S. Kinesiology (Exercise Science option)
-GPA: 3.68
-Major GPA: Not sure, guessing it's about the same as overall
-Obviously I haven't taken GREs yet
-Captain of varsity soccer team
-3 year scholar-athlete
-Member of kinesiology club
-Member of Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
-Volunteered at various local health/fitness related events
-120 hours of internship at outpatient physical therapy clinic

To be completed before graduation:
- another 120 hours of internship somewhere
- thesis

I am a very sociable person, and enjoy working with people! I have very good relationships with my professors and various faculty members (perks of being at a small school). :)

Any kind of input about ANYTHING regarding public health careers/schools is helpful! I am trying to learn as much as I can about this field! I understand I "still have time" since I'm not even done my undergrad yet, but I'm starting to get anxious about my future…. lol. :unsure:

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: