This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie Rollin

Reaction score
I'm a first-year pre-vet undergrad and wanted to know what is the best summer job that vet schools would like to see, or would give good skills I could bring into the field?

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to get into a clinic! Whether that means as a kennel assistant, receptionist, or veterinary assistant! Getting your foot in the door will help open up more hands on opportunities as you continue. Best of luck! :)))

Reactions: 1 user
Additionally, if you want to get into/more research experience you can work in a professor's lab. There are also REUs (I think applications are closed for this summer, though) where you spend 8-10 weeks at a university and get paid a weekly stipend and provided housing.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a first-year pre-vet undergrad and wanted to know what is the best summer job that vet schools would like to see, or would give good skills I could bring into the field?
It sort of depends on the schools you're interested in pursuing, as well. Volunteering at an animal shelter or rescue, doing educational outreach in STEM, research etc. The biggest thing with where ever you choose to spend your time over the summer - find a mentor. Get to know them well. Earn their recommendation. The more people who know you well and can attest to your abilities, the better. I do recommend looking at schools of interest and seeing what their main focus is (Midwestern Uni and U of A are heavily into shelter medicine, volunteering/work at a shelter is essential, Colorado is a research school, so research exp is beneficial, etc).

I was recently accepted to U of A. I have volunteered for small things (birthing centers at state fairs), kitten rescues, dog walking, etc while i maintained a regular, table bussing job as an undergrad. When I graduated, I applied for a position as a vet tech assistant in ophtho cleaning surgical instruments, etc. I got very lucky to find a mentor within ophtho and spend 3.5 years there. Concurrently, I spent 2 years volunteering/working at a shelter medicating sick cats. I did some work in general practice. I volunteered at a Reptile/amphibian based outreach lab.

There is no direct experience that is better than another. It is about the connections you make to the people around you and how prepared you feel for veterinary school. The schools want to make sure you've explored every area that veterinary medicine has to offer.

Not sure where you live but I would look for anything that interests you and may or may not be animal related. Here's some extra examples:
- volunteering at local wildlife centers, equine rehabilitation, riding therapy places, zoos, aquariums, game and fish, etc
- jobs adjunct to science - STEM internships,
- leadership - can be anything from being a preschool teacher to leading a club
- club activities (any club, just have something that interests you!)

And take GOOD!! notes about your experiences. Anything significant that happens during your time in any of these places. It'll help when you write about them in personal statements and speak about them in interviews.

Reactions: 3 users