Undergraduate (Methods) Coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohogwild

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm curious as to what kind of undergrad coursework you all recommend? I tried to Mitch's guide (which seemed to be a little outdated) and the searchbar (also Insider's Guide, but it I would appreciate your prioritization).

Specifically, methods course. Right now my college offers an "Introduction to Research Methods & Statistics in Psychology I & II" course and I'm curious if that should fill the requirement for a methods course? Or do people usually go for more specific courses? Like "Quantitative Methods" or "Methods in Behavioral Neuroscience"? I have limited quarters left and need to capitalize.

Also any recommendations for specific courses to take during undergrad that may help out the admissions process would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Tough to tell just from the title but I'm quite sure those would fill the requirements for a methods course. It doesn't need to be overly specific - methods are inherently not overly specific.

Honestly, if I was doing it again I would make sure to take intro/abnormal/methods/stats. Psychometrics might be good too if offered. Then I'd just load up on quant and comp sci/engineering courses. Matrix algebra would have been vastly more useful than any of my undergrad psych courses. If you are planning on a less research-focused path it may matter less though.

Reactions: 1 user
Tough to tell just from the title but I'm quite sure those would fill the requirements for a methods course. It doesn't need to be overly specific - methods are inherently not overly specific.

Honestly, if I was doing it again I would make sure to take intro/abnormal/methods/stats. Psychometrics might be good too if offered. Then I'd just load up on quant and comp sci/engineering courses. Matrix algebra would have been vastly more useful than any of my undergrad psych courses. If you are planning on a less research-focused path it may matter less though.
That's just the info I wanted! Thank you.