Understanding isotonic contraction of muscles.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akam ahz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could some one explain for me how the muscle shortens and keeps a constant tension (case of isotonic contraction).

I'm very confused, I mean since the muscle gets short then there must be more tension generated, right?

could someone explain it for me, as I read many articles about it and still don't understand it, I fell that there are something messing and it will help me understand it, but I don't know what exactly is it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In isotonic contraction, the muscle shortening generates the tension (force) equal to the load of the weight the muscle is lifting. The shortening of the muscle is what generates just enough tension to lift the load or weight. Example would be like curling a dumbbell. When you curl it, your muscle is shortening but the tension in the muscles aren't changing, its just generating enough tension to lift the weight up.

In isotonic contraction, work is being done (F=Wd). Hence lifting an object. Isometric contraction is when no word is being done. Ex. Planking or leaning on a wall with your hands....there is contraction but no movement.