Undo a Withdrawal? Change of situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzy91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I made what I thought was the correct decision of school at the traffic rules deadline just a few days ago but, due to a few changes in circumstances I would prefer to end up at one of the schools I sent a withdrawal email to just before the deadline. Does this seem like a possibility? Does emailing the MD/PhD director of the program I withdrew from seem like a terrible idea? Does anyone know of this situation happening before?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Unless I were extremely desperate to fill a slot, I would not allow an applicant to reverse their decision. I would wonder about their ability to make decisions and honor their commitments. I realize that your situation has changed, but there are likely to be a number of changes in your life over the course of 7 or 8 years. My concern is that one of these changes may cause you to leave the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Life is a game of negotiation. There are no absolute rules. For example, if your mother was just diagnosed with cancer and you need to care for her, and you decided to come back to the program because of geographical proximity, I would imagine any reasonable MD/PhD PD would try to accommodate that.

I would NOT e-mail. This is the kind of thing that you need at least a phone call if not formally arrange an in person interview. You need to get your story straight though before doing this kind of maneuver.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no harm in asking. But if I was the program director, there would have to be some very special reason why your circumstances have changed significantly enough to justify this change.