UNE vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdkd1111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I am currently struggling in choosing between these two dental schools. Two reasons why I would prefer UNE over NYU is that it is cheaper and class sizes are smaller. With that, NYU appeals to me because it has been around for a while ( UNE is relatively new) and if I was interested in specialization, I would have the opportunity to do so.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Toothman2k14. I am leaning more towards NYU but the cost really is shocking. Since UNE is relatively new, I am slightly hesitant. Since you're a dental student, where do you attend school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not entirely sure but based off of the ADEA book, it only lists the first year for UNE (since it's a new school) and the difference between the two for the first year is $27,621. I am guessing it will be around that amount for the next three years? That would be about $112K difference at the end of 4 years.

I am not entirely sure but based off of the ADEA book, it only lists the first year for UNE (since it's a new school) and the difference between the two for the first year is $27,621. I am guessing it will be around that amount for the next three years? That would be about $112K difference at the end of 4 years.
That's a pretty big difference.

Reactions: 1 user
NYU looks great but my only concern for you would be the living expenses. UNE might be a gamble, but its a +100k saving cost. Lets say you feel there are gaps in your clinical skills, just bust ass in a worthy GPR/AGED.

if you're doing military, i'd consider nyu more.

NYU looks great but my only concern for you would be the living expenses. UNE might be a gamble, but its a +100k saving cost. Lets say you feel there are gaps in your clinical skills, just bust ass in a worthy GPR/AGED.

if you're doing military, i'd consider nyu more.
How much would it cost to do a GPR/AGED on average? If it is around 80K, would it just be worth it to go to NYU. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. Have you chosen a school?

How much would it cost to do a GPR/AGED on average? If it is around 80K, would it just be worth it to go to NYU. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. Have you chosen a school?

Many GPR/AGED are actually paid. I even have a list of some in NY that are paid (50-65k range).

Current UNE student. We spend every Wednesday 8-5 in the simulation clinic doing restorations. I've completed every class of restoration. I've used composite, amalgam and RMGI. We have also done impressions and perio probing on each other. We get our own top of the line simulation manikin with brand new instruments. I can't speak for other schools and what they do, but I feel pretty accomplished for not even a full year in.

UNE's mission is to provide dental care to northern New England, so their goal is to get qualified professionals out there practicing. I think in years to come, you will find that UNE will be known for being a strong clinical program.

Reactions: 2 users
Current UNE student. We spend every Wednesday 8-5 in the simulation clinic doing restorations. I've completed every class of restoration. I've used composite, amalgam and RMGI. We have also done impressions and perio probing on each other. We get our own top of the line simulation manikin with brand new instruments. I can't speak for other schools and what they do, but I feel pretty accomplished for not even a full year in.

UNE's mission is to provide dental care to northern New England, so their goal is to get qualified professionals out there practicing. I think in years to come, you will find that UNE will be known for being a strong clinical program.
Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it. I am just afraid that since it is relatively new, there may be a few hiccups as classes move to 3rd and 4th year for clinical.

yeah i agree with the above post. invest in a program that has a track record of producing great clinicians. nyu produces a little more that 8% of all dentists in this country...so i'd be willing to take that over UNE any day..

by the way, what is UNE? obviously it's a new dental school but i guess i don't know too much about it....

Hi, everyone!

I am currently struggling in choosing between these two dental schools. Two reasons why I would prefer UNE over NYU is that it is cheaper and class sizes are smaller. With that, NYU appeals to me because it has been around for a while ( UNE is relatively new) and if I was interested in specialization, I would have the opportunity to do so.

Any input is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE

I'd pick NYU over NE, as stated previously any new school will have its fair share of hiccups but ultimately its up to you and wherever you feel most comfortable go for it. congrats