UNECOM class of 2010!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about this school?

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it?

What about the area? What kind of activities are there?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Long time since I posted..

How do I feel from medical school so far.

This video will tell it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXw71Akh8s

Good luck to all the applicants interviewing right now.. and to those trying to get past the last twitches of anatomy.

B

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oh, c'mon, Bill! it's not THAT bad..

well..

ok. The cranial quiz kinda stunk.

and I'm not looking forward to head & neck.

well... ok. Maybe it IS like that.

but hey! gross anatomy is OVER next week!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you know, it's probably not a fantastic idea to ask students what they think of their medical school while they're learning anatomy. I'd wait a couple of weeks, and then bump this thread. :)
What do you guys think about this school?

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it?

What about the area? What kind of activities are there?

Thanks for your input.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oh, c'mon, Bill! it's not THAT bad..

well..

ok. The cranial quiz kinda stunk.

and I'm not looking forward to head & neck.

well... ok. Maybe it IS like that.

but hey! gross anatomy is OVER next week!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Just remember...this too shall pass. You will get through it.

Wook

Woohoo!... picked up 6 more classes, Biochem, Immune, Parasit, Physio and EOM II, OPP.

But did you do the reading for biochem yet? apparently we now have a required book (notice we didn't have one on our official booklist?)... and there's reading for today from pp. 217-298.

I don't have the book either. gotta go to the bookstore today.

Just out of curiosity, what book does UNECOM require for first year biochem?
Hope you all are doing well!! I'm sure you're glad to be through anatomy...

Beachbunny,

How are you doing? Hope that your year is going well. I was wondering if we should start a class of 2011 thread? Would you like to do it or should I? Also, do you have AIM or Yahoo messanger? We should chat sometime and get to know each other a little. Take care.

-Rob

Marks' Essential Medical Biochemistry. Dense. Very dense.

BTW: biochem is team-based learning. Very different than other classes... we're just starting, and no one here has done any team-based learning so it's an uphill battle for stick-in-the-muds. Personally, I think it'll be nice to focus on learning the stuff for once and not worried so much about the grade.

Marks' Essential Medical Biochemistry. Dense. Very dense.

BTW: biochem is team-based learning. Very different than other classes... we're just starting, and no one here has done any team-based learning so it's an uphill battle for stick-in-the-muds. Personally, I think it'll be nice to focus on learning the stuff for once and not worried so much about the grade.

Hmmmm shyrem... that is a "nice" way of putting it.

I think if I have nothing nice to say I should not say anything.

PBL as it applies to Clinical cases should be done in small group with facilitator and not in a room of 123 people.

I learned nothing from today's lecture! but that is probably cause I am slow canadian.

PS. Text book is not to my facy. "at all"

Thanks Shyrem....I am tempted to get the book and start reading now! But I know everyone will tell me to not even bother.

Rob--it was nice to touch base (if only for a few minutes!) yesterday...and I think it really is time for a class of 2011 thread. I think I'll work on that now...
To all the first years--please feel free to visit the thread frequently and give your 2 cents! We need all the help we can get! I look forward to meeting all of you!!

--Kristin

My advice is that... get the books early.. get used books..

I got all my books for like 350 dollars from a 2nd year and 3rd year student.. so far I only bought like 2 books at the book store.. so my expenses has been under 500.00 so far. for other people i think they waited to buy the books and probably end up spending close to 1000.00 already.

So.. i suggest.. don't buy the new books, get used book from either me or other 1st years. and go to the book store during summer and pick up additional used books.

If you have time to read and kill.. i would definitely suggest reading up on biochemistry and anatomy. or take a graduate level class now.. so youc an do advance placement for it.

PM me if you have questions

Members don't see this ad :)
BEFORE you take the time for graduate classes... get the info from the curriculum office regarding requirements for placing out of biochem or immuno. I thought i saw somewhere that you had to have a master's in biochem to be considered for advanced placement out of that one.

BEFORE you take the time for graduate classes... get the info from the curriculum office regarding requirements for placing out of biochem or immuno. I thought i saw somewhere that you had to have a master's in biochem to be considered for advanced placement out of that one.

Definitely good idea. I can teach some of these courses, but probably will not be excused from them since I have no official outline that sais I did them.

Most of the people who got out of taking these courses took a masters program in Boston that is almost identical to first year medical program. Accept anatomy, which they did not do. So they got out of Immuno, Bioch, Physio, and Histo. The problem is they are paying full tuition and hanging around just so they can go to Parisitology and OPP and EOM. Not really worth all the money and time.

If I suggested one or two things. Mainly, Get grey's anatomy and read through that once. It is like 1000 pages.. so once is enough and TWO only IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO take say one or two course (Embyology or Immunology- which are only worth 2 credits and 1 credit) make sure its is medical course you will be already way ahead of the game.

Biochemistry you can't really do much more... and the other courses will be fine.

PS. Side note, I hate the fact that some students think teachers are out to screw them. If students do bad in a course... teachers get the blame. The last thing that a medical school wants is to fail people and loose that 40K a year from each person.

PM me if you have questions

Can I PM you if I have questions too pleeasseeeeeeeeee.

Don't study .. enjoy your last few months of freedom. All of that is going to be given away. Enjoy your TV, your magazine, your other activities... soon the only thing you will be studying is medically related (kind of) Blahhhhhhh

You guys are great--thanks for all your advice! I have another question....I'm trying to find housing close to school (preferably on Hills Beach Rd), and I'm having some difficulty because most don't rent year-round. I'd like to move in BEFORE school starts and not do the whole move in after Labor Day thing. I've heard of some students scoring nice year-round housing close to UNE. I've spoken to many realtors and owners and no luck so far. Maybe I'm starting too early? I don't know. But, my question is, do you know any current students who are living on Hills Beach? (Specifically any MSII's who might be moving out this summer.) Or, do any of you live close by in Hills Beach or Biddeford Pool? I'd like to get an idea of what's out there.

Also, you guys have a year round rental or just for the school year? I'll probably be living with my boyfriend (I'm transplanting him from NJ--he's never been to Maine!) who will hopefully be working full time and need to stay around for the summers anyway. Just wondering what you're supposed to do that summer between MSI and MSII.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Kristin

I felt like our class thread neede CPR...
How's everyone holding up?
Great OPP review tonight eh! Now if only the real exam would be as sweet as the quiz Jude gave us...

I think, as a class, we've officially reached the "why the hell did we do this" stage. We're all bitter, pissed, stressed, exhausted, and haven't done any Christmas shopping. (Well, not totally true - I did some during class yesterday. Online shopping is saving my butt this Christmas.)

And for the first time EVER I've not made any Christmas cookies yet. Usually I have at least 14 dozen or so... 8 different kinds by now. Not a one yet. My family is going through cookie withdrawal.

I think, as a class, we've officially reached the "why the hell did we do this" stage. We're all bitter, pissed, stressed, exhausted, and haven't done any Christmas shopping. (Well, not totally true - I did some during class yesterday. Online shopping is saving my butt this Christmas.)

And for the first time EVER I've not made any Christmas cookies yet. Usually I have at least 14 dozen or so... 8 different kinds by now. Not a one yet. My family is going through cookie withdrawal.

mmmm cooookies

Christmas cookies or Immuno, cookies or Histo, Cookies or Sleep...hmmm tough one

Christmas cookies win in my book! :D

I think, as a class, we've officially reached the "why the hell did we do this" stage. We're all bitter, pissed, stressed, exhausted, and haven't done any Christmas shopping.

Wow. It's like you've been listening to my private rants. If I were to write my autobiography right now, it would go something like this:

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. I've finally reached the "why the hell did I do this" stage. I'm bitter, pissed, stressed, & exhausted. And did I mention that I'm bitter, pissed, stressed, & exhausted?"

Thanks, ShyRem. I couldn't have voiced my thoughts better myself.

Wow. It's like you've been listening to my private rants. If I were to write my autobiography right now, it would go something like this:

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. I've finally reached the "why the hell did I do this" stage. I'm bitter, pissed, stressed, & exhausted. And did I mention that I'm bitter, pissed, stressed, & exhausted?"

Thanks, ShyRem. I couldn't have voiced my thoughts better myself.

I could describe it much better the ShyR did.

" What the F&*% HE$% did I DO....?" And please don't you ask me about what I DOOOOOO....

So if any pre-med need advice.. some real advice there are some of us.. who will be glad to give some tough love advice... trust me.. it will hurt now... but much better in the future.

I would like some "special" cookies.. do you make those ShyR.

BostonDO, WHO ARE YOU???? Do you live close by?

I've been alive forever
And I wrote the very first song
I put the words and the melodies together
I am Music, and I write the songs

Apparently, you're also one of the older students at UNE....:laugh:

:thumbup:
and, believe it or not, there are many who are older!

One of the biggest appeals to UNE for me. Many schools claim to have diverse student population in terms of age, but you walk around & don't see it at all. I definitely saw it there, and it contributed to making me feel very comfortable, being ah - a lot older than most in medical school myself!!

Sadly, UNE didn't want me adding to their Sunday night old folks sing-a-longs so have to chose b/w DMU (everyone looked in their 20's, and from the midwest) or UMDNJ (everyone being a Yankees fan :eek:)

Hey now, you wouldn't be talking about me, would you???

;)

One of the biggest appeals to UNE for me. Many schools claim to have diverse student population in terms of age, but you walk around & don't see it at all. I definitely saw it there, and it contributed to making me feel very comfortable, being ah - a lot older than most in medical school myself!!

Sadly, UNE didn't want me adding to their Sunday night old folks sing-a-longs so have to chose b/w DMU (everyone looked in their 20's, and from the midwest) or UMDNJ (everyone being a Yankees fan :eek:)

Tough choice. Each seem to have great strengths. Never visited the Jersey school, but made a trip out to Des Moines. I'm a big fan of corn.

Dudes/dudettes:

It's kind of like boot camp. You reach a point where you say I can't do this, or why the heck am I doing this. Tough it out. You will fall into the groove and continue through the hump. Look at how far you've come and done. You will NOT have to do it again. One step at a time, one day at a time.

If all else fails, think back to when you were applying to med school and believed you could do anything if you just got in (and knew why you wanted to be a doctor). Nothing has changed. You CAN/WILL get through this.

Wook

Dudes/dudettes:

It's kind of like boot camp. You reach a point where you say I can't do this, or why the heck am I doing this. Tough it out. You will fall into the groove and continue through the hump. Look at how far you've come and done. You will NOT have to do it again. One step at a time, one day at a time.

If all else fails, think back to when you were applying to med school and believed you do anything if you just got in (and knew why you wanted to be a doctor). Nothing has changed. You CAN/WILL get through this.

Wook
:thumbup: Much-needed encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.