UNECOM vs Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don'tStopMeNow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just looking for some opinions, facts, and overall impressions as I do my own research into choosing an acceptance.

So, this year (third attempt! woo!) I finally managed to grab a handful of acceptances. The two that I've narrowed it down to are Rosalind Franklin and UNECOM. Now, my situation.

I'm currently a Minnesota resident, so I am familiar with the Midwest. Still, I don't really think distance matters too much either way (not like I'm going home each weekend, eh?) so even though I own a car, travel to and from my family from school is not that much of a factor). I've traveled all over the US though, so while I like both areas I admit I have a bias for rural areas (more on that later). Both would be warmer.

So, as far as MD vs DO... I'm all ears on opinions, but I admit that DO may provide additional advantages in my case (interested in Rural medicine, thinking seriously of applying for the national health scholarship dealie) so those are fairly neck and neck. I don't put much stock in OMM, but I also don't put much stock in standardized testing strategies while working for Princeton Review (basically, I'm willing to put up with it). I also know it matters more how I apply myself than any title... so not a huge deal.

Most of my shadowing and volunteering experience has been in rural areas and I'd be interested in IM (likely specializing after some time).

First impressions: Both are similar in price. UNECOM has a stronger community feel (students routinely share all their notes). Rosalind Franklin seems to have more options if I choose to avoid the rural route.

So, any chance I could get some help?

Members don't see this ad.

take rosalind franklin and run with it.

spending an extra 4 hours of class every week + less residency options if you change your mind is just plain bad.

Rosalind Franklin. You can do RF and rural med if it still interests you in 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're set on rural medicine, it doesn't matter where you go. Go to Rosalind Franklin in case you decide to specialize.

Well... I'll be honest I'm not sure that I represented the UNECOM vs Rosalind debate (in terms of residency diversity) accurately. I feel like I wouldn't really be limited (not an issue of being limited as much as... will one propel me farther?)

I mean, if anyone has more info on the two (match list vs match list... I'm just starting to really crunch numbers on my end) UNECOMs is here http://www.une.edu/sites/default/files/2014GRAD-STATE.pdf

Rosalind Franklin.

I thought I wanted to do family medicine/geriatrics as a pre-med. Knowing what I know now, I would kill myself, literally kill myself, if I had to do family medicine. My point is that you'll never know what you like or dislike until you experience it, so you might as well keep as many doors open as possible.

By the way, nothing is wrong with family medicine; it's just not for me.

I do not think it would ever be a wise decision to choose a DO over an MD school, MD programs will give you far more opportunities and to be frank there is still quite a bit of prejudice against DOs.

Rosalind Franklin dude, this shouldn't even be a question. You'll have substantially more ability to choose where you end up doing residency as a RF grad than a UNECOM grad.

Reactions: 1 user
RF all day long. It doesn't matter based on your current plans, because you can get rural med with both, but what if your plans change? Safer route and shorter schedules (DO schedules tend to be longer because of OMM) can be found at RF.

Rosalind+Franklin.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'm going Rosalind Franklin.

I think I was always leaning that way, but honestly I was afraid of rushing into something blindly.

Moral of the story: don't touch a DO school with a 10 foot pole if you have an MD acceptance.

This gets old.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can drive a shiny new Mercedes why would you want a Hyundai???

Really the comparison in this case is more like a Honda or Toyota to a Hyundai. Mercedes would be an MD from JHU, Harvard, Wash, etc.

Harvard would be more like a Lamborghini.

Haha, ok, but the Mercedes is more like what, Pitt? Maybe other schools in the top 50, but not top 10.

Tufts, Pitt, would be Mercedes. Maybe calling Rosalind Franklin a Mercedes is a stretch, more like a Toyota Camry or a Prius, very reliable and will get you from point A to B.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha, ok, but the Mercedes is more like what, Pitt? Maybe other schools in the top 50, but not top 10.

So jelz of people that go to Top 10 medical schools like Pitt. Are they mortal?

Dude, have you seen the Hyundai Equus?

I always thought of Hyundai as a ghetto brand, its improved a lot over the years, its not ghetto anymore. Kia is the new ghetto brand. I guess most DO schools are like Kias, they will get you from A to B, but no one will envy you.

Caribbean schools? Think Yugo.