Unfilled Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the list of programs that didn't fill in the 2005 match, and was surprised at some of them. I expected a large # of middle and lower tier primary care slots, but there were actually a few derm spots, a rather large # of diag. rad., etc.
Does a program not filling in the match really mean anything in terms of competitiveness? Is it only meaningful in relation to the other programs in the same specialty?

EDIT: I meant to put this in the gen. residency forum...sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

(nicedream) said:
I was looking at the list of programs that didn't fill in the 2005 match.
hi!
i have been looking for this list for some time now..where can i find it?

The competitive places did not fill by choice. Some Derm/Rads/Optho/ ect... places would rather not fill all their spots. They may have a candidate coming in that they know of outside, for example.

Don't read into open spots too much for competitive places.

;)

uhoh! said:
hi!
i have been looking for this list for some time now..where can i find it?

Scutwork. I'd upload the pdf but it's too big.

BatmanMD said:
The competitive places did not fill by choice. Some Derm/Rads/Optho/ ect... places would rather not fill all their spots. They may have a candidate coming in that they know of outside, for example.

Don't read into open spots too much for competitive places.

;)

Also, those fields know that they can get a very good applicant in the scramble. So they won't rank anybody they don't like.

For Radiology the consesus seems to be that programs got cocky in their rank lists. The top programs were all interviewing the same top candidates and when it came to match time the programs short rank lists left them unmatched.

Yep - the reasons vary by program but often competitive programs either don't fill because they'd rather have no one than be stuck with a less than desirable candidate or they chose their rank list poorly.

NB: many of the large surgery programs got suprised a few years ago as the field was less popular - they only ranked a few candidates, assuming they'd get whomever they wanted, and then failed to fill.