Uniform Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawprint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just finished my M1 year but was unable to go to officer training this summer due to not enough spots being available at ODS. At the end of this summer (in August), I will be swearing in my older brother into the Navy while I'm on my Active Duty time up in NYC at the 9/11 memorial as part of a big ceremony, however I have a couple questions about my uniform.

The first is where do I go about purchasing/getting fitted for my uniforms? I figured I'll just go ahead and get all of the ones I'll get at ODS so I can just go ahead and knock that out. I'm supposed to wear my Navy whites for the ceremony in NYC.

The second is that I don't have any ribbons for my uniform since I didn't go to training yet, will this look odd? Am I supposed to have any ribbons even though I haven't finished training?

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm excited to be a part of this ceremony for my brother but I want to make sure I have everything figured out before I go.

Members don't see this ad.

Not completely sure how it works these days, but if you are on active duty orders and leaving the area of those orders (not sure if you are in NYC area) make sure you don't also need to be on leave.

As to where to get uniforms the best option is likely to find a Navy Exchange that is near you if possible. If you live anywhere near Pensacola, FL I'd recommend going to Abbott uniforms. Barring those options you can always get them at NEX online, but I really don't recommend that for a new person

marlowe white will have measurement sheets for sizing, print them out and then go to a local suit shop to get measured and order them....you don't have any ribbons yet, so it doesn't matter if that looks weird

Members don't see this ad :)
Not if you haven't served 30 days on active duty. (Double check me on the number of days, I'm too lazy to look again)

Okay, I was too curious.

There is no time requirement; however, reserve members on active duty for short periods to fulfill obligations are excluded.

So looks like you need 1 day of active duty service after completing Med school.