Uniform reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunGuns

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought my uniforms and was advised by the clerk at the BX who helped me to check if the military was going to reimburse my uniform expenses. I know of a $300 allowance for clothing but is there anything else I could do to get everything reimbursed (around $1k)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

RunGuns said:
Hi,

I just bought my uniforms and was advised by the clerk at the BX who helped me to check if the military was going to reimburse my uniform expenses. I know of a $300 allowance for clothing but is there anything else I could do to get everything reimbursed (around $1k)?

Thanks.

Maybe. I know I'm getting two different kinds of one-time clothing allowances, at least one of which is the one to which you referred (the allowance you get when you first sign on). I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the second reimbursement, but it may be an army specific fund regarding the change from bdu to acu. You'll want to contact your personnel office, or possibly your finance office, to find out for sure. In any case, the sum total for me was no more than $500, so I doubt you'll get a full grand back. Welcome to life as a commissioned officer; you gotta pay for your MREs too.

RunGuns said:
Hi,

Thanks.

Keep close tabs on what you spend ... any costs not reimbursed (or above reimbursement level) are fully tax deductible. It can add up.

Members don't see this ad :)
trinityalumnus said:
Keep close tabs on what you spend ... any costs not reimbursed (or above reimbursement level) are fully tax deductible. It can add up.

Uniforms are only tax deductible if you are a reservist. Active duty folks cannot deduct them. Also, you can only deduct unreimbursed expenses.

Ed

I am not sure about the taxs but if you are on HPSP the military will only pay for $400 dollars worth of unifroms. The other ~ $800-900 is on you.

You ought to take about half of that crap back. You don't need a gortex parka, black gloves, a second pair of boots, a camelback, etc etc etc.

Just get the bare essentials and see what else you will need when you get there. Those "requirements" are just to make sure you aren't scrambling at the last second should you be sent somewhere that such things are needed. In OBC, I guarantee you won't.