Unique Early Decision Scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cavs5284

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Early Decision is generally not a good strategy to take unless an applicant is an extremely strong candidate, or maybe someone is applying to their state school. Weak or borderline candidates seem to be discouraged from applying in this manner because it puts all their eggs in one basket when they should be casting as wide a net as possible.

I find myself this cycle with only one interview and am likely to be waitlisted at that particular school. If I am put on the waitlist at this school, would it make sense to apply early decision as soon as next cycle begins, even if I remain on the waitlist as I apply? It would seem that, should I be placed on the waitlist, I would be deemed "good enough" for the school, so it seems that early decision in the next cycle may greatly enhance my chances.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Call and speak to the dean of the school in question. He will be able to give you the best advice on whether or not to apply ED to his/her program. In fact, deans at some schools (GW for one) really prefer meeting with students and going over their application prior to applying in order to give them an idea on whether or not they should apply ED.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no experience there, but I would hesitate to do that.

Unless you applied REALLY late, it seems that if wait-listed, they didn't want you enough to just accept you.

I would ask the dean if possible.

Edit: @DocFarnsworth Beat me to asking admissions first.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no experience there, but I would hesitate to do that.

Unless you applied REALLY late, it seems that if wait-listed, they didn't want you enough to just accept you.

I would ask the dean if possible.

Edit: @DocFarnsworth Beat me to asking admissions first.

The school does post-interview rejections and I was not rejected. Instead, I was deferred to a later decision date. Looking at past cycles from SDN threads, it seems that everyone that was deferred either got accepted or put on the waitlist at the end of the cycle.

Would your advice still hold if the school doesn't use the waitlist as a courtesy rejection?

So you don't have a decision yet at all?

I think I would still hesitate to apply ED unless I had a good talk with the dean of admissions before doing so. I was more saying that ED applications are generally made by students who are "strong yes" applicants. If after interviewing you were not given an acceptance, it leads me to believe you are not a "strong yes" but just a "yes, except no room" applicant.

If that is the case, you may not get in through ED and be hamstringing yourself for the rest of the cycle. Only you can decide what is best for you of course, I am simply sharing my opinion.

I would look at each application cycle as independent rather than continous.
You will be re-evaluated from scratch and have a chance to explain what you have done to improve your application.
Unless as @DocFarnsworth suggested, the adcom recommends this, I would hit the reset button at the end of the cycle.
You made it to the waitlist, I'm sure your a strong applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
To clarify, you are asking if you should reapply to a school that waitlisted you, while you are still waitlisted?? If so, do NOT do this. You generally have to be a well above-average applicant to get in EDP at all. If you didn't get in at all the previous cycle while applying normally (and providing updates as the year went on etc), I highly doubt you would have any chance at all the next year.

Schools really don't care much about your "commitment" to them with EDP, they are going to fill their seats either way.

Weak or borderline candidates seem to be discouraged from applying in this manner because it puts all their eggs in one basket when they should be casting as wide a net as possible.

TLDR- if you didn't get in at this school last cycle, you are a "weak or borderline candidate" who should be discouraged from applying in this manner.