Unique PGY2 elective ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan564

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't think this has been discussed in the past, but it might be relevant to other residents too.

My program allows me 2 months of electives in PGY2. At least half of that will be pure research for me, but I'm thinking about spending the other half doing something unique/interesting but with at least some peripheral clinical relevance. The 1st-world problem that I'm encountering here is that my program has such a diverse PGY2 that we get an extraordinarily wide range of exposure in required rotations (i.e. eating disorders, ECT, TRD clinic, geriatrics, SNF, movement disorders/neuropsych, community day hospital program, dementia, chemical dependency, VA, consults, etc.). It's a big enough institution and a large enough program so that if I can imagine it, I can probably do it.

Things that I definitely don't want to do with my elective time:
-Child (plenty of exposure in PGY3)
-Psychotherapy (adequate exposure for my tastes in PGY3)
-Community/outpatient psych (plenty of exposure in PGY3)
-"Public" practice (I love working with underprivileged populations, but we get more than enough exposure to that in the required rotations)
-Public health/policy

I like things that are relatively biological, even if the clinical applications aren't 100% clear yet.

Has anybody ever done (or heard of) interesting/unique electives outside of the obvious stuff? The answer doesn't have to be geared specifically to my tastes, of course... it might be interesting to share some other experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

the most unique elective idea i've heard about is equine therapy at case western