Unique Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canuck10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian citizen (Ontario resident) who moved down to the States on a Division 1 hockey scholarship. Met and married an American girl so I have my U.S. green card. My undergrad is in Civil Engineering (3.2GPA, which while playing D1 hockey is more than respectable). Have decided to apply to med school and want to apply to both U.S. and Canadian schools. With a 3.2GPA, 510MCAT, lots of volunteering (clinical/direct patient care), shadowing, scholar athlete awards all 4 years from my school and conference, and being a D1 athlete, do I have a better chance at a Canadian school or a US school? I know several Ontario schools have GPA cutoffs I don't meet, but some Ontario and a lot of OOP schools I do meet the cutoff.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the year by year breakdown?

With a 3.2, you literally have no chance at any Canadian school given you are an Ontario resident. Unless you had a huge upward trend, that resulted in a 2.6, 2.6 3.8, 3.8 year by year breakdown?

Maybe try McMaster, if your Cars score is strong enough...and you absolutely NAIL the CASPER.

I don't think your 3.2 meets the cut-off for ANY OOP schools, where did you read that?

ONE THING to consider: How does your 3.2 from the US convert to Canada(OMSAS, and independent school conversions outside of OMSAS)? Maybe the 3.2 is actually higher? I am going under the assumption it is still a 3.2.

Your best bet will be USDO programs that are Canadian friendly, there are about 10 of them. You can also apply to non-Canadian friendly ones, since you have a greencard, so you have slightly more options in that regard depending on what geography you are inclined towards.

Given you have a greencard, you can probably also throw in an app to some USMD programs that you fall in the 10th percentile for, since your MCAT is decent...and they will value your athletic experience and rigour of degree being engineering.

Unfortunately in Canada, your 3.2 will hold you back at most places, before they even get a chance to consider your non-academic experience, and rigour of degree(most schools don't even consider this relevant sadly).

Hope that helps. Provide more information and we can provide more tailored advice.

What OOP schools did you think you would be ok for with a 3.2? There are none I'm aware of for anyone close to a 3.2

Honestly, the US is your only option. A 3.9 isn't a guarantee in Ontario, let alone a 3.2. You are in a better situation than most since you have a green card, so you should be ok if you apply DO too

^
U.S. Green Card = the world is your oyster. Go USDO or USMD if you can swing it, and never look back. Reinvent your GPA in med school, crush boards and you are wide open for any specialty you want - without Health canada tell you what you can or cannot specialize in.