United Healthcare and Facet Intervention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmrmd

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So UHCs new facet policy is ridiculous and the medical director they hired is an idiot. Every single facet request is denied no matter what I document. Just had a denial for a confirmatory Friday and that was just one too egregious.

If anyone from UHC reads this I just want you to know you suck.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Document exactly this:

Proceed with An initial diagnostic facet joint injection/medial branch block to determine facet joint origin as the patient has met all of the following criteria:
o Pain is exacerbated by facet loading maneuvers on physical examination (e.g., hyperextension, rotation).
o Clinically significant improvement has not occurred (the pain remains at a 3 or more on a 1-10 pain scale) after a
minimum of four weeks of conservative care (including, but not limited to pharmacotherapy, 6 week home exercise program as directed by me for more than the last 6 weeks, or physical therapy)
o Clinical findings and imaging studies suggest no other cause of the pain (e.g., spinal stenosis with neurogenic
claudication, disc herniation with radicular pain, infection, tumor, fracture, pain related to prior surgery).
o The spinal motion segment is not fused.
o A radiofrequency joint denervation/ablation procedure is being considered.

Recommend proceeding to a second facet joint injection/medial branch block performed to confirm the validity of the clinical response to the initial facet joint injection, as the patient has met all of the following criteria:
o Administered at the same level and side as the initial block
o The initial diagnostic facet join injection produced a positive response as demonstrated due to the patient meeting all of the following criteria:
-For at least the expected minimum duration of the effect of the local anesthetic and,
 -Functional improvement that is specific to the individual with demonstrable improvement in the physical functions
previously limited by the facetogenic pain; Patient reports an 87% improved ability to stand and wash dishes, stand and bath, walk in the grocery store.

Just make it a dot phrase. It will apply to all insurances.This is taken directly from UHC with some tweaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I tend to use this one as well from time to time. Sent to me by J. Weisbein. A KOL that is helpful.

"Please note this is a request for treatment of a patient with mainly axial or non-radicular pain (Khan, 2006; Manchikanti, 2013, 2009); AND they lack evidence for discogenic or sacroiliac joint pain as the main pain generators (Manchikanti,2013, 2009)
This patients pain causing functional disability or average pain levels of = 6 on a scale of 0 to 10 (Manchikanti, 2013, 2009; Summers, 2013); AND has been present for at least 3 months (Manchikanti, 2013, 2009)
This patient has demonstrated a failure to respond to conservative non-operative therapy management for a duration of 6 weeks in thelast 6 months prior to facet injections (Manchikanti, 2013; Summers, 2014)"

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
these are excellent. We need to make an entire thread of these dot phrases for the pathetic insurance companies. I just got denied on a peer to peer for an SIJ injection. The lady was east European and could care less about the patient's pain. She basically said b/c the patient had failed all past modalities including various injections she wouldn't respond to an SIJ injection either. That was literally her logic. I told her I hope she develops chronic lbp and is denied care when needed

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Why hide it?

Post them here for everyone...

Why hide it?

Post them here for everyone...
Don’t want the insurance companies to see it and Change their protocols again.

Any practicing pain physician should obtain access to private forum anyway as they are missing out on multiple discussions.

Reactions: 5 users
Agree. Can someone add me to the private forum? Thanks

Can I be added on that thread as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Any practicing pain physician should obtain access to private forum anyway as they are missing out on multiple discussions.
Not everyone can participate, and if there are templates I'd like to see them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not everyone can participate, and if there are templates I'd like to see them.
ill PM them to you if they are decent. don't think much will come of this thread anyway.

What’s so super secret about these that they should be on the verified doctors forum? I don’t think we have to worry that clubdeac’s Eastern European nemesis will stumble upon them…

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Mitch is on double-secret probation

What was her response?
She said that wasn’t very nice and why would I say that. I then went on to explain what it would be like to have chronic pain with no hope bc your insurance refused to cover potentially beneficial treatments

Reactions: 4 users
that is one way of ensuring that you will not get an approval for the SIJ from her.

did you document 3 provocative maneuvers, 6 weeks conservative therapy including home exercises that you provided, and pain>6 with limitations in functioning such as xxx?

that is one way of ensuring that you will not get an approval for the SIJ from her.

did you document 3 provocative maneuvers, 6 weeks conservative therapy including home exercises that you provided, and pain>6 with limitations in functioning such as xxx?
Yes all of the above. She had a completely nihilistic attitude saying “look at everything she’s tried and failed. She’s not going to get better with an SIJ injection.” She also said lbp is very complex and most patients don’t get better to which I responded “why approve anything then?” Huge waste of everyone’s time

Yes all of the above. She had a completely nihilistic attitude saying “look at everything she’s tried and failed. She’s not going to get better with an SIJ injection.” She also said lbp is very complex and most patients don’t get better to which I responded “why approve anything then?” Huge waste of everyone’s time

Unreal. And totally appropriate response on your part. I probably would have said something similar.

I like that we speak on a recorded line. This is only to hold the procedure requesting doctor to account, not vice versa. I hear flat out lies from the denying doctor all the time. I am sure it just leads to a promotion for them.

My favorite is them asking for PT notes. I ask where in the insurance guidelines it asks for that and they of course can’t tell me. I then read verbatim the insurance denial reason which doesn’t speak to having to provide notes or exact dates of PT appointments. Pretty soon they will ask for us to accompany patients to the PT appt and provide video proof of all exercises.

Sorry no injection. Patient only went through the motions on PT session 4, grandma wouldn’t max out on her squats. You Must accompany for 6 more weeks. You are more than welcome to appeal the ruling.

I like that we speak on a recorded line. This is only to hold the procedure requesting doctor to account, not vice versa. I hear flat out lies from the denying doctor all the time. I am sure it just leads to a promotion for them.

My favorite is them asking for PT notes. I ask where in the insurance guidelines it asks for that and they of course can’t tell me. I then read verbatim the insurance denial reason which doesn’t speak to having to provide notes or exact dates of PT appointments. Pretty soon they will ask for us to accompany patients to the PT appt and provide video proof of all exercises.

Sorry no injection. Patient only went through the motions on PT session 4, grandma wouldn’t max out on her squats. You Must accompany for 6 more weeks. You are more than welcome to appeal the ruling.
1654103825700.png

I tend to use this one as well from time to time. Sent to me by J. Weisbein. A KOL that is helpful.

"Please note this is a request for treatment of a patient with mainly axial or non-radicular pain (Khan, 2006; Manchikanti, 2013, 2009); AND they lack evidence for discogenic or sacroiliac joint pain as the main pain generators (Manchikanti,2013, 2009)
This patients pain causing functional disability or average pain levels of = 6 on a scale of 0 to 10 (Manchikanti, 2013, 2009; Summers, 2013); AND has been present for at least 3 months (Manchikanti, 2013, 2009)
This patient has demonstrated a failure to respond to conservative non-operative therapy management for a duration of 6 weeks in thelast 6 months prior to facet injections (Manchikanti, 2013; Summers, 2014)"
This won’t work unless it matches the cpb (clinical policy bulletin) which is not identical for each carrier. Even better, sometimes carriers will use different policy
I recently did a P2P for aetna and quoted the most recent aetna policy bulletin and was told that they use evicore (on an aetna patient)

You should report her. They have criteria they are supposed to go by. Even though insurance companies primary goal is profit. They have to still pretend to go by the intent of helping patients and whatever policy they are governed by