University Of Alberta Pharmacy Applicants 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this year so I thought I'd start one up. The March 1 application deadline has passed and now it's time for the waiting game!

Admissions Stats:
SOURCE: http://www.pharm.ualberta.ca/en/About_the_Faculty/Annual Report Strategic Plan.aspx

(I think this is for fall 2011)

618 applications from: 351 Albertans, 246 non-Albertan Canadians, and
20 international students.
Admitted – 126 Albertans, five non-Albertans,
0 international; 83 female, 48 male

(I think this is for fall 2010)

593 applications from: 319 Albertans, 248 non-Albertan Canadians, and 26 international students.
Admitted - 113 Albertans, 18 non-Albertans,
0 international; 88 female, 43 male
Of those admitted, 38 had previously earned a degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I also applied to the UAlberta Pharmacy program for this year. My GPA is 3.8, but I'm from BC, so I know it's going to be hard to get in as an out of province applicant.

Finally a thread for this year :thumbup:
I applied as well...my pre-req GPA should be around 3.7 and overall about 3.58 (after two years)...not sure if that's good enough to get in.

How much work/volunteer experience does everyone have? Does that make a big difference or does U of A primarily look at GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't see a thread for this year so I thought I'd start one up. The March 1 application deadline has passed and now it's time for the waiting game!

Admissions Stats:

(I think this is for fall 2011)

618 applications from: 351 Albertans, 246 non-Albertan Canadians, and
20 international students.
Admitted – 126 Albertans, five non-Albertans,
0 international; 83 female, 48 male

(I think this is for fall 2010)

593 applications from: 319 Albertans, 248 non-Albertan Canadians, and 26 international students.
Admitted - 113 Albertans, 18 non-Albertans,
0 international; 88 female, 43 male
Of those admitted, 38 had previously earned a degree.

I don't know my pre-requisite GPA yet because I'm not done with the courses until the end of the winter semester, however so far it looks like it will be 3.75-3.80 (first year student).
You completed all of the pre-reqs in one year??

You completed all of the pre-reqs in one year??

Yes, the pre-reqs are 30 units, which is one fall/winter year.

I also don't really have much related volunteer/work experience, however at the UofA, your grades are by far the biggest deciding factor. But, it's still a plus to have if your grades are lacking.

Finally a thread for this year :thumbup:
I applied as well...my pre-req GPA should be around 3.7 and overall about 3.58 (after two years)...not sure if that's good enough to get in.

How much work/volunteer experience does everyone have? Does that make a big difference or does U of A primarily look at GPA?

That's a pretty good GPA. Are you out of province or in Alberta? I'm in 4th year sciences right now, so hopefully that will help me out. I have some volunteer experience, but not a huge amount. I'm not too sure how they weight GPA on the application. Anyone else know?

That's a pretty good GPA. Are you out of province or in Alberta? I'm in 4th year sciences right now, so hopefully that will help me out. I have some volunteer experience, but not a huge amount. I'm not too sure how they weight GPA on the application. Anyone else know?
I'm in Calgary. And I agree, your GPA is probably the biggest factor for U of A...
Did anyone send reference letters? I know they aren't required, but I sent a few because I don't think they could hurt my application.

Yes, the pre-reqs are 30 units, which is one fall/winter year.

I also don't really have much related volunteer/work experience, however at the UofA, your grades are by far the biggest deciding factor. But, it's still a plus to have if your grades are lacking.
Where did you find those stats on admission? I haven't been able to find any.

hey everyone good luck for this year! i have a pre req of about 3.4, and 2 years gpa of 3.4 as well. does anyone know if pharmacy experience and a lot of volunteer experience can compensate my lower gpa?

hey everyone good luck for this year! i have a pre req of about 3.4, and 2 years gpa of 3.4 as well. does anyone know if pharmacy experience and a lot of volunteer experience can compensate my lower gpa?

I've heard of people getting accepted with GPAs as low as 3.4, but you'd probably be waitlisted and have to have an excellent letter of intent. Having pharmacy/volunteer experience will make your letter of intent better, of course.

anyone know what courses can be used to upgrade biol from ualberta, i got the same mark for bio 107 and 207.

anyone know what courses can be used to upgrade biol from ualberta, i got the same mark for bio 107 and 207.

On the Pharmacy admission requirements it says you need 3 credits in "Biology (Cell Biology)". It's not clear if it is just recommended you take Cell Biology or if it has to be. If it is just recommended you could take Bio 108 and then Bio 208. If it must be a Cell Biology you can take Bio 201 (or Cell 201, they are the same thing). If you want to know for sure you'd have to contact the Faculty (unless anyone else knows). Hope this helps :)

Oh, I found where it says which courses they require, and it says:
(4) AUBIO 130 or BIOL 107
So I'm leaning towards them wanting a Cell Biology mark, so Bio 201 would be the next class to take.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in Calgary too and I got royally screwed over by my stats class. It killed my GPA. I went from a 3.77 cumulative GPA to most likely a 3.68 cumulative GPA. My prereq GPA will most likely be 3.68 (If I did better than I anticipated in ochem, then I shall have a 3.70 prereq GPA). I'm also taking an honours degree, so some of my classes are definitely more difficult in comparison to a general science degree.

Anyway, I'm really nervous about getting into pharm school. I feel like my grades aren't high enough. To compensate, I guess I have decent extracirriculars. I am doing breast cancer research under the faculty of physiology and pharmacology this summer. It's definitely pharmacy related work since I'm testing the effects of different medications on the efficacy of cancer drugs. I also volunteer at a hospice every week, I just finished the Sophomore Leadership Program, I'm an orientation leader, and the treasurer of the U of C Salsa Club.

Anyway, I badly hope I get in :( This is truly what I want to do with my life.

I'm in Calgary too and I got royally screwed over by my stats class. It killed my GPA. I went from a 3.77 cumulative GPA to most likely a 3.68 cumulative GPA. My prereq GPA will most likely be 3.68 (If I did better than I anticipated in ochem, then I shall have a 3.70 prereq GPA). I'm also taking an honours degree, so some of my classes are definitely more difficult in comparison to a general science degree.

Anyway, I'm really nervous about getting into pharm school. I feel like my grades aren't high enough. To compensate, I guess I have decent extracirriculars. I am doing breast cancer research under the faculty of physiology and pharmacology this summer. It's definitely pharmacy related work since I'm testing the effects of different medications on the efficacy of cancer drugs. I also volunteer at a hospice every week, I just finished the Sophomore Leadership Program, I'm an orientation leader, and the treasurer of the U of C Salsa Club.

Don't worry those are great stats and you're IP, so should be fine!

Plus don't they look at your last 2 years (60 credits) and your pre req gpa?

yeah, I'm pretty sure that your "overall" GPA is based on the most recent two years

I would really appreciate it if someone is aware of admission statistics and could post them for 2010 or 2011. Admission Statistics... as in the GPA required. I hate how Faculty of Pharmacy does not post any staistics... Medicine is so much better with mean GPAs, MCATs, etc...

I just finished my first year. I will be completing the 3 courses left next year, and taking seven other courses (sciences, arts, etc) I have finished seven pre-requisistes.

Here's my statistics:
Pre-requisite GPA (7 courses): 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.90

I'm really worried about the LOA. I don't have any experience in Pharmacy yet. I do have work experience in retail for about 4 years. I plan on volunteering at a Pharmacy starting from the end of this month. Hopefully, I can somehow produce a very good LOA. How important is it, and can this make or break your chances of getting in?

Thanks!

Also, any useful option courses to take? GPA boosters?

I would really appreciate it if someone is aware of admission statistics and could post them for 2010 or 2011. Admission Statistics... as in the GPA required. I hate how Faculty of Pharmacy does not post any staistics... Medicine is so much better with mean GPAs, MCATs, etc...

I just finished my first year. I will be completing the 3 courses left next year, and taking seven other courses (sciences, arts, etc) I have finished seven pre-requisistes.

Here's my statistics:
Pre-requisite GPA (7 courses): 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.90

I'm really worried about the LOA. I don't have any experience in Pharmacy yet. I do have work experience in retail for about 4 years. I plan on volunteering at a Pharmacy starting from the end of this month. Hopefully, I can somehow produce a very good LOA. How important is it, and can this make or break your chances of getting in?

Thanks!

Also, any useful option courses to take? GPA boosters?

I would estimate that the average GPA is about 3.7, with the 'cutoff' being about 3.5.

The letter probably has little weight on your overall application seeing as how people can lie and someone else could even write it for you (not saying everyone does it, but its 100% possible). Your grades are direct from the institution and are the most accurate representation of your ability to handle the program. As long as you demonstrate in the letter that you truly understand what you are applying for, and can prove this understanding by experiences, I'd say you're absolutely fine with the letter.

They obviously rank applicants with scores, which is needed in order for them to have a rolling wait list. I would argue that either a) the letter is pass/fail and they rank by GPA, or b) they 'grade' your letter and combine it with your GPA to make a score (guessing 20-30% letter and 70-80% GPA).

I feel the same way as you, but keep in mind that successful applicants typically have a gpa of 3.5+ and you are well above this. I wouldn't be too worried as long as you feel that you submitted a strong letter (strong meaning you demonstrated a good understanding of the profession and can prove this). It's hard not to be anxious, there's less than a month before the first batch of acceptances are mailed out!

Last edited:
I would estimate that the average GPA is about 3.7, with the 'cutoff' being about 3.5.

The letter probably has little weight on your overall application seeing as how people can lie and someone else could even write it for you (not saying everyone does it, but its 100% possible). Your grades are direct from the institution and are the most accurate representation of your ability to handle the program. As long as you demonstrate in the letter that you truly understand what you are applying for, and can prove this understanding by experiences, I'd say you're absolutely fine with the letter.

They obviously rank applicants with scores, which is needed in order for them to have a rolling wait list. I would argue that either a) the letter is pass/fail and they rank by GPA, or b) they 'grade' your letter and combine it with your GPA to make a score (guessing 20-30% letter and 70-80% GPA).

I feel the same way as you, but keep in mind that successful applicants typically have a gpa of 3.5+ and you are well above this. I wouldn't be too worried as long as you feel that you submitted a strong letter (strong meaning you demonstrated a good understanding of the profession and can prove this). It's hard not to be anxious, there's less than a month before the first batch of acceptances are mailed out!

That's what I have wondered about too. The letter doesn't even ask for a reference to support your claims. I won't lie, but perhaps exaggerate my experiences a tiny little bit. ;)

EDIT: And thank you!

That's what I have wondered about too. The letter doesn't even ask for a reference to support your claims. I won't lie, but perhaps exaggerate my experiences a tiny little bit. ;)

EDIT: And thank you!

I think everyone will exaggerate a little bit in the letter :laugh:

So who applied this year, and what are your stats?

Also, I'd love to know if you got in too... (by end of June).

I applied this year. I've just finished my Bachelor of Science and have a cumulative GPA of 3.85. I'm from BC though, so I think it's going to be hard for me to get in.

When do you guys think we'll be receiving letters? I've heard of people getting accepted pretty late.

The top 131 people will probably get letters this week, it's possible they have been mailed out today even.

edit: nevermind i'm completely wrong lol. I was thinking they would be quicker to make decisions since they had our letters for so long and grades are just numbers to easily add on.

Last edited:
so we will be getting a letter in the mail if we're accepted? nothing by email?

Yes, they don't send you an email, just a letter in the mail. Your application status on beartracks won't change either until you get a letter and pay your confirmation deposit.

Looking back at the 2011 thread, it seems the letters go out around July 1st and take about 7 days to arrive.. So perhaps the 2nd week of July. The admission committee is probably meeting up sometime this week or next since the transcript deadline was only 4 days ago.

The admissions committee meets June 22 this year.

If you get the letter and are accepted, make sure to post your statistics! (and anyone who just causally reads this forum... become a member and let us know too!)

I'd like to know for next year. :)

I was looking at older U of A pharm threads on sdn. It looks like people usually get acceptance letters in the first or second week of july.

I didn't get in. It says quota filled on my bear tracks. I wonder where I went wrong wih my application to get rejected on the spot like that. Anyway, good luck to the rest of you. I'll just have to come back stronger next year.

Sorry to hear that :(
your GPA and ECs sound really good. I'm surprised you didn't get in =x.
I hope that doesn't mean the competitive average was higher this year..

I didn't get in. It says quota filled on my bear tracks. I wonder where I went wrong wih my application to get rejected on the spot like that. Anyway, good luck to the rest of you. I'll just have to come back stronger next year.

WOW. 3.7 didn't get you into Pharmacy? :eek:

WOW. 3.7 didn't get you into Pharmacy? :eek:

it is strange.. i'm guessing there was a red flag raised somewhere in the letter, it's the only thing I can think of if you're instantly rejected and not even waitlisted with a 3.7?

I have not recieved a letter yet, and my bear tracks still says "decision pending". Did anyone else receive a letter or a change to their beartracks yet? More stressed waiting than I was for any test I've ever wrote lol. Good luck everyone!

I have not recieved a letter yet, and my bear tracks still says "decision pending". Did anyone else receive a letter or a change to their beartracks yet? More stressed waiting than I was for any test I've ever wrote lol. Good luck everyone!

By looking at the old threads, it seems that it will say 'decision pending' even if you've been mailed a letter, and it will only change once you accept by paying the confirmation deposit. So it looks like 'decision pending' is the best descriptor if you're still waiting!

That's what I figured. Pantry raider apparently has a different message. I hope that was a mistake and you still have a chance! Your credentials seemed outstanding, maybe it was simply an error

Yeah. It's a shame. I was actually pretty happy with my letter of intent. I especially felt as though I gave a good response for that plagiarism question, considering I got extensive knowledge about it in one my first year undergrad classes. I might email the U of A and ask how I can improve for next year because I am honestly baffled. Maybe i shouldn't have printed out my letter of intent with an inkjet printer. I wonder how much aesthetics matter in terms of applications. Oh well, I'm only going into my third year. I can try again :)

That's a great attitude, never give up! Anybody else getting really anxious? Haha

My beartracks now says admitted!!! :) anybody else?

mine says admitted too! :) I'm pretty surprised because I'm from BC and got rejected from UBC (my first choice) and got accepted at UAlberta, where I'm considered out of province! anyone else get accepted?

Can someone tell me pros/cons of UofA pharmacy? I'm not very informed about the school and don't personally know anyone that goes there. I was also accepted to UofS; and so am just trying to make a decision.

Has anyone received their letter yet?