University of Arizona (Tucson) vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayaccount77

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this decision.

Jefferson
Pros
1. More established/better reputation
2. Rothman Orthopedics - I am highly interested in ortho
3. I love the JeffMD curriculum with Scholarly Inquiry
4. Able to declare a specialty and pursue those interests as part of phase 3
5. Tons of students organizations and community experiences that align with my interests
6. Research - Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center
7. Home residency programs

Cons
1. Large class size, but there are learning communities that make a smaller community
2. Living in a new place and new environment that I am not used to
3. Expensive with out-of-state tuition, moving, and living in a new city
4. Maybe not as easy to match in AZ if I decide I want to go back

University of Arizona (Tucson)
Pros

1. Family and friends support system and know the area well
2. In state tuition, so significant savings compared to Jefferson
3. Class size of a bit over 100
4. Curriculum has lots of opportunities for self-study
5. Distinction tracks and the ability to pursue my interests in service experiences
6. Lots of opportunities for research with home residency programs in all specialties
7. I love AZ and can see my future being in AZ

Cons
1. I am not a fan of Tucson
2. Not as highly ranked as Jefferson
3. Issue with accreditation in the past

Basically, I am trying to decide if the “prestige” difference should push me more in the direction of Jefferson. I love both schools and could see myself happy at both. Jefferson would just take a longer time to adjust to. I am interested in competitive specialties like ortho and ENT, but I am going into medical school completely open-minded. Thank you for your help with this!

Members don't see this ad.

Great choices! Imo the prestige difference between the two is fairly negligible. It sounds like Tucson has more pros and less cons for you so I would probably lean towards there, especially with your support system being close. Although skmc is also a great school so if you wanted a fresh start that would also be a good choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Great choices! Imo the prestige difference between the two is fairly negligible. It sounds like Tucson has more pros and less cons for you so I would probably lean towards there, especially with your support system being close. Although skmc is also a great school so if you wanted a fresh start that would also be a good choice.
Thank you! I appreciate it thank you for your thoughts on this!