University of California San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL, are you just trying to bump yourself off the AC list? :p

Sadly, yes :( I hope it works!!! lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there
UCSF has called me for interview. Is there any one could tell me how to prepare my self for the essay part?

Hi there
UCSF has called me for interview. Is there any one could tell me how to prepare my self for the essay part?

I thought UCSF only mails out notifications for interview/rejection. Still waiting for a response

Hi there

Remember: it is a gay school in a gay city. All the admission staff are gays. If you are a gay or a lesbian, you are virtually guaranteed admission. I knew a couple of lesbians who got admitted without bachelor's degree, with the min. set of the pre-requisites and with a very little effort. If you are not gay, pretend that you are. So, choose the essay topic of such kind that you could demonstrate your dedication to all things gay, the gay marriage especially. Remember: this is a special institution in a very, very special place.

Last edited:
Hi there

Prepare for the essay as you would for a GRE essay. It's not so much what you write, it's HOW you write, e.g. grammar, flow, transition, coherence, spelling. You must have done well in writing your supplemental essays; continue to executive your style, but prepare yourself for random topics and constraint time. Obviously, this can seem challenging but you can practice to get used to it.

I thought UCSF only mails out notifications for interview/rejection. Still waiting for a response

Most probably, it will be a denial letter. They just have started sending them out on December 29-th.
Just take it easy. If they deny you, you are not going to miss much. SF is a very expensive city, rent and living expenses are going to be killing you. The cost of tuition is very high. Opportunities for the internships are very low. The employment opportunities are equally low. The quality of education at UCSF is greatly over-rated. UCSF is a decent research institution, but it has absolutely no relation to the "pharmacy" education - it is mediocre at best. So, do not get depressed, and have a Happy New Year !

OK, don't worry. If you haven't heard from UCSF thus far, it is 99% probability that it would be a rejection. Don't get disappointed, UCSD is at least as good as UCSF, and SF, unlike SD, is not a liveable city. Concentrate on UCSD. Your living conditions are very important for your success in a pharm. school. If the cost of living in SF comes down crushing on you, you would not be able to succeed. If you need to share a tiny dorm room where you would have no conditions for study, it would do no good for you. If you are at home in SD, then SD is the place. :)

Remember: it is a gay school in a gay city. All the admission staff are gays. If you are a gay or a lesbian, you are virtually guaranteed admission. I knew a couple of lesbians who got admitted without bachelor's degree, with the min. set of the pre-requisites and with a very little effort. If you are not gay, pretend that you are. So, choose the essay topic of such kind that you could demonstrate your dedication to all things gay, the gay marriage especially. Remember: this is a special institution in a very, very special place.

Most probably, it will be a denial letter. They just have started sending them out on December 29-th.
Just take it easy. If they deny you, you are not going to miss much. SF is a very expensive city, rent and living expenses are going to be killing you. The cost of tuition is very high. Opportunities for the internships are very low. The employment opportunities are equally low. The quality of education at UCSF is greatly over-rated. UCSF is a decent research institution, but it has absolutely no relation to the "pharmacy" education - it is mediocre at best. So, do not get depressed, and have a Happy New Year !

You don't even live in SF nor attend the school, so how could you possibly comment on the conditions? Stop trolling SDN.

:troll: :caution:

You don't even live in SF nor attend the school, so how could you possibly comment on the conditions? Stop trolling SDN.

:troll: :caution:

How do you know where I live, what I do or do not attend, and what I am affiliated with ?
Surely you do not think that the world at UCSF is rotating around its pharmacy school. Or maybe, you do. Then, we have to deal with the clinical aspects of such a viewpoint.
Most of my time nowadays I spend in Berkeley, but I own a house in SF.
Actually, what is trolling ? Is it anything that you do not like ? Is this a reflection of the "professional" state of mind that Mary Anne is instilling in her students ?

hey dngyen,

sadly, no. USC is still my first choice because i'm interested in going into retail, living in so cal while going to school and staying in so cal after graduating :(.

last year, usc accepted 247 people for the 190 spots. this means that roughly 50 to 60 people on the AC list were getting accepted.

good luck :)

Is UCSF your first choice? If so, I hope you get accepted so it'll leave an open spot for those who want to get into USC! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare for the essay as you would for a GRE essay. It's not so much what you write, it's HOW you write, e.g. grammar, flow, transition, coherence, spelling. You must have done well in writing your supplemental essays; continue to executive your style, but prepare yourself for random topics and constraint time. Obviously, this can seem challenging but you can practice to get used to it.

thanx

Wow, somebody is bitter about getting rejected.. LOL... No wonder you got REJECTED... I swear UCSF ADCOM has a sixth sense for spotting out people like you. Stop being a sore loser and grow up.

Last edited:
Considering the # of trolls I've been seeing, this forum has really gone downhill.

Good luck to those interviewing. Be current for conversational knowledge.

hey dngyen,

sadly, no. USC is still my first choice because i'm interested in going into retail, living in so cal while going to school and staying in so cal after graduating :(.

last year, usc accepted 247 people for the 190 spots. this means that roughly 50 to 60 people on the AC list were getting accepted.

good luck :)

Aww, I see. Thanks though! Hopefully a miracle will happen :xf:

LOL... IS USC your 1st CHOICE? I hope you get it! So they'll be a spot for those who wanna get into WESTERN! :D JK JK!:laugh:

LOL! Yes, it's my top choice :0) I'll be glad to give someone a spot in Western if I had the chance!

250 interview really for 122-ish seats? wow, then it's like a 50% chance of getting in once you get the interview..

What is the driving time from the San Francisco airport to the pharmacy school campus?

I also received an invitation for Jan 28th.

Does anyone have any recommendations on nice hotels near the interview site?

Thanks!

my interview with ucsf is early Feb. does anyone know what kind of essay questions they may give to us during the interview? it would be great if any of you can give me an example. thanks!

I also received an interview invitation for 1/28!

I will be staying at the Holiday Inn in downtown San Francisco(the San Francisco-Civic Center one). It's not that close to UCSF, but I called the hotel and they said that they are right by a subway station which can take me to UCSF. I'm flying in on Wednesday, so I have Thursday to test how long it'll take me to get from the hotel to UCSF. :p

Good luck to everyone and see you in SF!

I also received an invitation for Jan 28th.

Does anyone have any recommendations on nice hotels near the interview site?

Thanks!
The Carl hotel is very close (few blocks, walking distance to campus). I personally did not stay there but it would be the most convenient. I stayed in downtown and had a friend dropped me off to campus on the morning of the interview. If you cannot arrange for a ride, the MUNI is $2 each way and you can get from downtown to UCSF campus within 15-20 minutes depending on your wait for the MUNI. If you plan on driving, parking is $22 per day. Some people are willing to pay for the convenience.

my interview with ucsf is early Feb. does anyone know what kind of essay questions they may give to us during the interview? it would be great if any of you can give me an example. thanks!

It can really be on ANYTHING. This actually works to your advantage because then the questions have to be more generalized, and there are no real wrong or right answers to the questions. If you can clearly state a thesis, provide substantial sentences to support your thesis, and actually answered the prompt, then you will be fine. Of course, watch out for grammar, misspelling, etc. Good luck!

YLuckyGreeny, when was your interview letter postmarked?

What is the driving time from the San Francisco airport to the pharmacy school campus?

About 25-30 minutes. I would plan for an hour just in case there's traffic or some crazy thing that happens.

Has anyone been interviewed yet? Very curious!!

1) Yes. Sometimes there are just circumstances beyond your control and you can't really predict what you messed up on, if anything. It can all come down to the simple factor of "fit" with the school.
2) I think since you already know that UCSF looks at the whole applicant that you've answered your own question. There are stellar all-around applicants who get rejected and there are those who barely scrape a 3.0 and get accepted. I doubt your W's will attract too much attention.
3) Start early. Do multiple drafts and get multiple opinions. Fill as many of the optional statements that apply to you as you can.
4) I'm not sure this is a set number. I think you can have as many incomplete as can possibly be completed before matriculating in the fall (if that makes sense). The obvious catch is that you want to show that you have taken on heavy courseloads over time and this probably requires that you have had most of your prereqs completed at the time of application.

I'm wondering if you are UCSF pharmacy student. If you are, may I ask you some questions about interview. My interview invitation with UCSF is early Feb. I'm pretty worried. Do you have any suggestion on how to prepare for it. How about the essay part? I'm a second language and i'm not a good writer especially in such a short time. Thanks for your reply

i accepted the offer of interview from the online link back on dec 28th. But never received any emails confirming my interview acceptance.
Did anyone receive info back after agreeing to the interview on their online site?

I declined my interview. Good luck to everyone else!

i accepted the offer of interview from the online link back on dec 28th. But never received any emails confirming my interview acceptance.
Did anyone receive info back after agreeing to the interview on their online site?
i received an email confirmation right after i confirmed my interview spot on their website. it could be possible that either you entered your email address or your pharmcas id incorrectly. i would definitely call them because you only have 14 days from date the letter was written to accept.

less than a week left for the interview...getting supper nervous...

@Leetodai, the videos are fun to watch, you guys are super talented! :D

If you guys want to familarize yourselves with either the campus or mission bay campus, I'd recommend a quick viewing of both of these videos.

(one was made for SKIT Night and the other for Mr.Pharmacy competition both at UCSF)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiUxTTsxItM&feature=related :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDl-mCnmURQ :thumbup:

Both (Music Videos) were completed and star current second year pharmacy students.

BLEE! Stop spamming!! LOL

I'm wondering if you are UCSF pharmacy student. If you are, may I ask you some questions about interview. My interview invitation with UCSF is early Feb. I'm pretty worried. Do you have any suggestion on how to prepare for it. How about the essay part? I'm a second language and i'm not a good writer especially in such a short time. Thanks for your reply

HMM... You need to stop asking current students and START READING "Interview Feedback" and other UCSF related threads. If you carefully read these, there are helpful tips on how to prepare for the on-site essay. If you go beyond SDN and google carefully, you can find some previous essay questions. Do you get the drift? You need to be a self-sufficient learner.

Hi guys,

I know that the interview is open file. I assume that our interviewers read our essays from the supplemental application, but does anyone know if they also read our personal statement from pharmCAS?

Best of luck to everybody interviewing this weekend! Even to have an interview is a great accomplishment. I know I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my interview and try to finalize my fit. UCSF has such vibrant people.

I hope that we can each find our best fit and receive an offer :)

Yay, can't wait to see the new crop of interviewees today... good luck! :D

Hi everyone from SDN,

Do you know what's the nearest Hotel that's within walking distance/public transportation to UCSF in the early morning? Decent rate ones? What public transportation options are available? I am not familiar with the area and would appreciate it if anyone can tell me what's the safest area to stay in.

Hyatt on La Jolla Village Dr.

If you walk towards Lebon Dr and Nobel Dr, you can catch one of the UCSD shuttles (white and blue bus with "UCSD" on the sides; "Nobel" sign in the window with a blue circle and "N" inside the circle). Get off at the one and only shuttle stop on-campus called Mandeville (just follow everyone when they ALL get off).

Usually the shuttle is reserved for students, faculty and staff but if you can show you have business with UCSD by presenting an interview day agenda or something, the drivers will more than likely let you on (most of the student drivers dont care anyway... I know cuz I use to work for them :))

http://www.ucsdbus.com
Dispatch/Shuttle Office: (858) 534-7422

Or you can catch the San Diego MTS (202/201/101/41) at Lebon and La jolla Village for $1.75 fee.

http://www.sdmts.com

Other than Hyatt and Marriot (also on La Jolla Village), there aren't any other hotels.

Hyatt on La Jolla Village Dr.

If you walk towards Lebon Dr and Nobel Dr, you can catch one of the UCSD shuttles (white and blue bus with "UCSD" on the sides; "Nobel" sign in the window with a blue circle and "N" inside the circle). Get off at the one and only shuttle stop on-campus called Mandeville (just follow everyone when they ALL get off).

Usually the shuttle is reserved for students, faculty and staff but if you can show you have business with UCSD by presenting an interview day agenda or something, the drivers will more than likely let you on (most of the student drivers dont care anyway... I know cuz I use to work for them :))

http://www.ucsdbus.com
Dispatch/Shuttle Office: (858) 534-7422

Or you can catch the San Diego MTS (202/201/101/41) at Lebon and La jolla Village for $1.75 fee.

http://www.sdmts.com

Other than Hyatt and Marriot (also on La Jolla Village), there aren't any other hotels.
This is all good info for UCSD applicants, but this is a thread for UCSF. :)

Hi everyone from SDN,

Do you know what's the nearest Hotel that's within walking distance/public transportation to UCSF in the early morning? Decent rate ones? What public transportation options are available? I am not familiar with the area and would appreciate it if anyone can tell me what's the safest area to stay in.

Carl Hotel would be the closest/cheapest, but its not that great of a hotel. Another close one is Stanyan Hotel, but it's kinda pricey and it's not that great. Just throwing out some options for close hotels to UCSF.

I stayed at the "Inn at the Opera."
There is a transportation (MUNI) directly to UCSF from there.
It was small and clean. :)

Metro Hotel is a bit more distant than the Carl Hotel. Metro's room rates are around $80/night with a discount for people with connections to UCSF. http://www.metrohotelsf.com/

Last edited:
I know some have interviewed...how did it go? tell us now!!!:corny: