University of Chicago vs. Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiotruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there have been threads on this topic in past years. The reason that I am bringing it up again this year is because it seems there has been substantive change. From speaking with faculty at various institutions it seems that University of Chicago has traditionally been seen as the more 'academic' program in Chicago. However, in 2012 US News ranked Northwestern Hospital 12 in the country on their honor roll while UofC was only ranked 3 in the city of Chicago behind Rush and NW. US News Internal Medicine rankings were 16th for NW 18th for UofC. In addition, in terms of NIH DOM funding UofC was ranked 15th-$68million while NW was ranked 17th-$65million. These are all very arbitrary and poor markers of quality of IM residency training so take them with a grain of salt, but nonetheless it seems the gap has closed between the two institutions. I believe the same is true in terms of their match lists in 2012 as well; just as a sample their cardiology match lists:

Northwestern - Cardiology - 2012
Cleveland Clinic
Johns Hopkins (2)
University of California - San Francisco
University of Illinois - Chicago
Vanderbilt University

University of Chicago - Cardiology - 2012
University of Chicago
Duke (2)
Northwestern
Kaiser Permanente
University of Colorado
UCSD
Case Western

So in conclusion, I believe the choice of a residency training program should be based upon far more than rankings and funding $ as well as reputation. However, I just want to confirm that I am not missing something? When people say UofC is the 'true' academic program in Chicago, why is that?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the program you like the best.

U of C has a relatively smaller Department of Medicine compared to our peer institutions. The research funding per faculty member is in the top 5 in the nation. Primary scholarly work (not just review papers or case reports) is emphasized, abundant, and almost expected in most fields. The vast majority of residents (>80%) publish their research during their residency. Historically, U of C is known to produce physicians who stay in academic medicine. I don't know the details of Northwestern but I'm sure a lot of what I mentioned earlier is true for them as well.

I picked U of C over Northwestern because the residents have more autonomy than our friends up the street (I've done >70 central lines (of all types), >25 thoras, >25 paras, run >25 codes; no fellows overnight in the units), research is abundant, I liked the people better (they seemed less pretentious than NU), and the leadership is simply awesome.

Everyone except two people matched at their top choices for fellowship this year (all fellowships). Also, there is a University of Michigan cardiology match missing from the list above.

Regarding the US News rankings, wait a year - U of C will bounce back (opening a new hospital like Rush did will have an effect).

U of C and NU tend to attract pretty different personalities of residents in my opinion (majority of our residents rank U of C over NU; I'm sure the opposite is true too).

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm torn between these programs as well. My perspective is similar to the above post.

Northwestern: spectacular location, maybe marginally better cards match list, pristine hospital. From what I remember very functional EMR. Maybe lacking in autonomy--I'm still trying to figure this out.

U of C: More Autonomy, 4+2 system in the makings with opportunity for specialty clinics, Brand new hospital opening like next week. EPIC in the making. Hyde Park is nice but would likely have to commute daily. Lacks a VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm torn between these programs as well. My perspective is similar to the above post.

Northwestern: spectacular location, maybe marginally better cards match list, pristine hospital. From what I remember very functional EMR. Maybe lacking in autonomy--I'm still trying to figure this out.

U of C: More Autonomy, 4+2 system in the makings with opportunity for specialty clinics, Brand new hospital opening like next week. EPIC in the making. Hyde Park is nice but would likely have to commute daily. Lacks a VA.

Just to clarify, Epic is not in the making - it's been around for awhile and it's highly functional at U of C.

Forgot to include that we get the option to moonlight as well at U of C. It pays pretty well - $75/hr - $125/hr for cross covering and maybe admitting a patient or two on the Oncology service. I have a few friends who have made nearly $40,000 in moonlighting during their second or third year. I've made a more modest $10,000.