University of Denver..am I missing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After interviewing here I felt this would be ranked highly on my list...maybe even #1. I am curious however, why is this program ranked so low on SDN? It was even mentioned on the "programs to avoid" forum. I think the location is PERFECT. The residents seemed happy. Not warm and fuzzy but should that be a requirement? I figure if the residents get along well then that's all that matters in the warm and fuzzy department. And indeed the residents are all really close. They even live in the same general region. The hours seems to be similar to most other programs I applied to. The residents and PD did flat out say that the PGY-1 IM inpatient rotation would average almost 70hrs/week but I expect to be pretty busy during intern year. Yes, the university hospital doesn't have an inpatient psych ward; yes, the records are paper. The residents felt the Denver Medical Health Center gave plenty of opportunity for inpatient psych exposure. So is there anything I'm missing here? I feel the location makes up for any minor weaknesses there may be.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Didn't look like a place that would interview me. Also, it's cold.

I don't put much stock in negative feedback about programs unless it's from directors, and highly specific.

If you like it, let it ride!

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the same way about the interview--location was incredible, facilities good (especially with the new VA opening in the next few years), residents good (like you said, not necessarily 'warm and fuzzy' but happy and seemed to have good relationships with each other and the faculty), strong/large faculty, great fellowship training opportunities (seems like a fantastic children's hospital!), and I didn't feel like the seemingly higher workload intern year was without a point (could be + or -). The only thing--I would have enjoyed meeting the PD Dr. Giese in addition to Dr. Davies.

So yes, still same question--any red flags here that we're missing?

Why worry yourself about the opinions of random people on the internet? If it seems like a great program for you and you've done your due diligence, does it really matter? I always take the opinions here with a huge grain of salt. They're helpful in some degree, but everyone is looking for different things in programs. People's opinions are more or less valuable to you depending on how closely your priorities align with theirs. Since most people tend to not be that open about what they're looking for, that makes for a gigantic question mark.

Reactions: 1 user
It's worth noting that the 'programs to avoid' thread (at least the one I think you are referring to) was quite tongue in cheek.

In the past, they have also been known to reject IMG's automatically, which probably didn't encourage a lot of good will...

I'm excited to check the program out!

When I interviewed there was an IMG interviewing as well. Thank you for all the input everyone.

Once you define exactly what your looking for in a program it makes it easier to see who fits. In my case Colorado was not exactly what I was looking for- i.e I wanted a program where there was good camaraderie between residents and faculty, I wanted to work in various inpatient psych settings (not just county and va, but also private and university) lots of flexibility and elective options ect... you'll find a place that fits you!

Last edited:
Why worry yourself about the opinions of random people on the internet? If it seems like a great program for you and you've done your due diligence, does it really matter? I always take the opinions here with a huge grain of salt. They're helpful in some degree, but everyone is looking for different things in programs. People's opinions are more or less valuable to you depending on how closely your priorities align with theirs. Since most people tend to not be that open about what they're looking for, that makes for a gigantic question mark.
I think it's doing one's due diligence and missing something that is the issue. Programs can be quite adept at hiding their flaws.

What's super annoying to me is how they over invite applicants and then wait list a bunch. I responded to an interview invitation four hours after receiving it (sue me for being in rotation) and was told all their interview slots were now filled and I could be placed on the waitlist if I wanted. This is ridiculous and doesn't guarantee them receiving good applicants to interview, just whoever is able to respond first.

^^ my experience as well... They were one of my first invites, so i waited a few days :(

I think one reason the Colorado program developed a bad reputation on SDN is because, at least as of a few years ago, the word on the street was that residents there were unhappy with the program director.
Full disclosure: I don't remember having any particularly bad interactions with the PD myself (I really don't remember much about meeting her at all, since it has been years, but I think I'd remember if something really bad happened). It's also definitely possible that even IF there were problems then, things may be different now.
I remember one resident who I met there did say something about how the PD was "not the kind of person who will coddle you or be warm and fuzzy". That may be the extent of the "problem" (which I don't think is really problem)...or it may be that was just a diplomatic way of saying she was hard to work with. I don't know since I didn't end up there.

However, there was enough of a rumor mill about it that it did seem concerning at the time (for example, one of the residents who took me out to dinner at a different residency made a comment about the PD when someone mentioned Denver at dinner).
It also probably did not help its reputation here on SDN when a well known poster on this message board matched there and seemed unhappy. He apparently had to work extremely long hours. That person ultimately ended up resigning from the program. However, in fairness, I do recall that he went on to defend the program from some of the criticism it received on here, so he may indeed think it is still a good program in spite of having issues.

I mention all this just because I think applicants should know that you do have a little skeptical about what programs present to you on interview day. You really can't be sure what a program is really like just based on interview day.

It is pretty rare that residents will be completely honest with you on interview day, quite frankly. The residency program will generally only send residents who are happy and doing well in the program to meet applicants in the first place.
If someone WAS telling applicants, "Oh man, this program is awful. I regret matching here" then obviously the program administration will not be happy with them. Why would anyone risk getting in trouble with their residency administration over something like that?
That's why it is smart to try to find out what people really think by using places like SDN where people tend to feel comfortable speaking more openly.

What's super annoying to me is how they over invite applicants and then wait list a bunch. I responded to an interview invitation four hours after receiving it (sue me for being in rotation) and was told all their interview slots were now filled and I could be placed on the waitlist if I wanted. This is ridiculous and doesn't guarantee them receiving good applicants to interview, just whoever is able to respond first.

I'd agree that they've been fairly unprofessional throughout this interview season. Though it may not be a big deal and an isolated incident, it does make one wonder if this issue leaks over into other aspects of their residency program.

This has been very helpful. A resident who interviewed me did mention that the PD doesn't do well with resident feedback...she then said the PD isn't "warm and fuzzy" and that if I'm looking for a program that is "warm and fuzzy" then I won't find it there. I interviewed with the PD next who said that all changes I see are strictly a result of resident feedback. After a couple more interviews I'm admitting that I have become less impressed with my experience in Colorado.

psychgirll Im sorry to hear that. I would definitely agree with one of the earlier posts about going with your gut about which program you feel is the 'best fit.' We try to be transparent about the program, because the last thing we want is for an applicant to come here under the wrong pretexts and end up being unhappy. Happy residents = good, reliable coworkers who are less prone to burn out and more likely to improve the work environment for everyone involved.

Im a resident in CO. I love it here because the program and the city fit my needs exceptionally well. That being said, it wont be the best fit for everyone so don't be afraid to ask residents during the dinners/interviews about the issues that matter most to you.

If anyone has questions about the program, feel free to pm me. I may take a bit to respond so dont take it personally :)

This has been very helpful. A resident who interviewed me did mention that the PD doesn't do well with resident feedback...she then said the PD isn't "warm and fuzzy" and that if I'm looking for a program that is "warm and fuzzy" then I won't find it there. I interviewed with the PD next who said that all changes I see are strictly a result of resident feedback. After a couple more interviews I'm admitting that I have become less impressed with my experience in Colorado.

I'd consider the above to be a big red flag. A PD can be a huge benefit or make 4 years seem much longer.