University of Florida 4 Credit Biochemistry Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberTammy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't have a biochem lab at my school (Brandeis U) and I didn't have any problems with UF

Its right there in the UF website.

If you school offers the associated lab with Biochemistry, then you are required to take it. If your school does not have the LAB class, then you are not required to take it. Kind of like an exemption :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer is that in your situation, you are not required to take it, though you should inform them that your school doesn't offer the lab and therefore you are requesting exemption from the lab requirement.

UF's biochem class is 4 credit hours. There is no lab associated with the class. I am sure they really just want a biochem class, no lab is needed.

evines said:
UF's biochem class is 4 credit hours. There is no lab associated with the class. I am sure they really just want a biochem class, no lab is needed.

Actually, the requirement as they explain it in their application and other materials is that if your school offers a lab along with the normal intro biochem, you are required to take the lab.

That might be true, but that's news to me. UF has a biochem lab, but hardly any pre-meds take it. It's not associated with the lecture in any way. It's completely separate.
So maybe UF wants an applicant to take the lab if their school's biochem has a lab associated with the lecture. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.