University of Florida (IS) vs. University of Alabama (OOS w/ scholarship) (vs. Case Western)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd_2027

Reaction score
School 1: University of Florida
In state
Pros:
  • 2 hours away from family
  • Cheapest
  • Would have connections and networking as a “gator dentist” should I choose to practice In Florida after dental school (not sure right now)
  • Appx. 80k/year total COA
  • Great program as I’ve heard, also unsure if they teach CAD/CAM but I know they just got a grant for AI dentistry
Cons:
  • Was excited to leave the state for dental school
  • Gunner culture, feeling like I may be miserable
  • Living in Gainesville may be really boring
  • Something tells me that if I pick this school I’ll always think “what if?” Or regret my decision, but let me know if I should just suck it up
School 2: University of Alabama
OOS (very strict and unlikely requirements for gaining in state)

Pros:
  • Amazing volume and quality of clinical experience (their clinical requirements are super high!)
  • Teach digital dentistry
  • Received a 10k/year renewable scholarship, making the total COA appx. 90k/year
  • Excited at possibility of leaving the state, i am getting tired of florida. Heard that Birmingham is a fun city (comparatively)
Cons:
  • No family or friends in the state
  • 10k/year more expensive than my instate school
  • The school said it is a very collaborative atmosphere but I haven’t heard this yet from students (please weigh in!)
School 3: Case Western Reserve University
Private
Pros:
  • Could live with my sister, having a major support system and half the cost of rent.
  • Enjoyed the campus and facility
  • Wouldn’t mind the cold (said the naive Floridian)
Cons:
  • Most expensive (appx. COA 120k/year, feels like a no brainer to pick a cheaper school)
  • Heard the program has been going down the toilet bowl since 2014 and covid
  • Dealing with cold weather even though I’d like a change

• Summary: Leaning away from case, seems least practical. Feeling like I’ll hate my experience at UF but at the same time it is cheaper. I know it’s gonna suck wherever I go but I’d rather be as less-miserable as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, honestly in this situation, an additional 40k may not be as bad as it sounds. Normally I’d say go to your instate but if you truly think you won’t enjoy it or think you’ll be miserable I’d consider Alabama. Might go against the grain since others will say definitely UF but if you can get costs down with Alabama and you want that experience then it’s ultimately your decision. We can make suggestions or offer up advice but at the end of the day you’re the one paying and signing that acceptance offer. Do what you think is best for you.

Congrats on the multiple offers!

Ps I agree with with the decision for Case. I declined my offer as well, 125k a year is just crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
Eh, honestly in this situation, an additional 40k may not be as bad as it sounds. Normally I’d say go to your instate but if you truly think you won’t enjoy it or think you’ll be miserable I’d consider Alabama. Might go against the grain since others will say definitely UF but if you can get costs down with Alabama and you want that experience then it’s ultimately your decision. We can make suggestions or offer up advice but at the end of the day you’re the one paying and signing that acceptance offer. Do what you think is best for you.

Congrats on the multiple offers!

Ps I agree with with the decision for Case. I declined my offer as well, 125k a year is just crazy.
Thank you for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alabama is a really good school, I feel you about avoiding misery. I'm also from FL, somehow I ended up attending the West side of the country and couldn't be happier.

School 1: University of Florida
In state
Pros:
  • 2 hours away from family
  • Cheapest
  • Would have connections and networking as a “gator dentist” should I choose to practice In Florida after dental school (not sure right now)
  • Appx. 80k/year total COA
  • Great program as I’ve heard, also unsure if they teach CAD/CAM but I know they just got a grant for AI dentistry
Cons:
  • Was excited to leave the state for dental school
  • Gunner culture, feeling like I may be miserable
  • Living in Gainesville may be really boring
  • Something tells me that if I pick this school I’ll always think “what if?” Or regret my decision, but let me know if I should just suck it up
School 2: University of Alabama
OOS (very strict and unlikely requirements for gaining in state)

Pros:
  • Amazing volume and quality of clinical experience (their clinical requirements are super high!)
  • Teach digital dentistry
  • Received a 10k/year renewable scholarship, making the total COA appx. 90k/year
  • Excited at possibility of leaving the state, i am getting tired of florida. Heard that Birmingham is a fun city (comparatively)
Cons:
  • No family or friends in the state
  • 10k/year more expensive than my instate school
  • The school said it is a very collaborative atmosphere but I haven’t heard this yet from students (please weigh in!)
School 3: Case Western Reserve University
Private
Pros:
  • Could live with my sister, having a major support system and half the cost of rent.
  • Enjoyed the campus and facility
  • Wouldn’t mind the cold (said the naive Floridian)
Cons:
  • Most expensive (appx. COA 120k/year, feels like a no brainer to pick a cheaper school)
  • Heard the program has been going down the toilet bowl since 2014 and covid
  • Dealing with cold weather even though I’d like a change

• Summary: Leaning away from case, seems least practical. Feeling like I’ll hate my experience at UF but at the same time it is cheaper. I know it’s gonna suck wherever I go but I’d rather be as less-miserable as possible.
do not pick case

ordinarily, i would say, "cheapest", but $40k is not that bad...

$40k isn’t that big a price to may for avoiding misery but some things to consider:

What are the requirements for renewing the scholarship at Alabama? Is it easy or do you need to maintain a certain GPA? That could increase the price difference significantly.

What about interview day makes you think UF has a gunner culture and UAB doesn’t? Do you have emails for any students to follow up with and gather more evidence? If you’re not trying to specialize it doesn’t matter who’s gunning for what, do your own thing.

High tech vs low tech dental school is not that important. So long as the facilities are functional and have patients, you can learn new equipment in a weekend CE course. You don’t know what the office you work at will have.

Is Birmingham really that much more fun than Gainesville? I have no idea. Can you visit them for a weekend?

You could stay in Florida for dental school and move some place new for work/residency.

Either choice should be fine. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m at Case. Don’t come here considering your other options.

I have a Florida license and plan to practice there after residency. Don’t think “the grass is greener” elsewhere. Thousands try to go to Florida. I know Gainesville is weird, but it’s only 4 years.

All the pros you listed for Alabama are meaningless fluff. “Better environment”, “digital”, “clinical environment”. Trust me, as someone on the other side, all that stuff is BS! Especially the clinical requirements - that’s a negative more than a positive.

I think you’re best at Florida. You mentioned FOMO. Imagine going to Alabama and regretting not going to Florida. How would you feel? FOMO goes both ways.

I’m at Case. Don’t come here considering your other options.

I have a Florida license and plan to practice there after residency. Don’t think “the grass is greener” elsewhere. Thousands try to go to Florida. I know Gainesville is weird, but it’s only 4 years.

All the pros you listed for Alabama are meaningless fluff. “Better environment”, “digital”, “clinical environment”. Trust me, as someone on the other side, all that stuff is BS! Especially the clinical requirements - that’s a negative more than a positive.

I think you’re best at Florida. You mentioned FOMO. Imagine going to Alabama and regretting not going to Florida. How would you feel? FOMO goes both ways.
Can I ask how high clinical requirements is more of a negative? In my eyes I see that students at Florida have some stress completing requirements because of the college town population. I thought that coming out of school more prepared was a priority, which I thought UAB would be better in that aspect after talking to some students about their experiences with doing procedures. Thanks!! Right now I am thinking of being a general practitioner rather than going to a residency program.

Can I ask how high clinical requirements is more of a negative? In my eyes I see that students at Florida have some stress completing requirements because of the college town population. I thought that coming out of school more prepared was a priority, which I thought UAB would be better in that aspect after talking to some students about their experiences with doing procedures. Thanks!! Right now I am thinking of being a general practitioner rather than going to a residency program.
You won’t really learn much at any school. So more requirements are BAD BAD BAD. Your real learning comes after school. More requirements means less people graduate on time. I went to a “clinically strong” school and watched a bunch of my friends have to stay after graduation because the requirements are brutal X