university of florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iapplehead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard anything on the postbacc program at the university of florida??? has anyone heard of any postbacc programs in texas??? thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Avoid UF like the plague. Although the website describes a "post-bac" program and even has registration procedures lined up, they do not accept undergraduate post-bac or non-degree seeking students. I found this out only after moving to Gainesville and signing a lease. So now I'm in a second bachelor's program at UNF (2 hours away in jacksonville) and love it. I've talked with about 8 people-of-power at UF and there is no way anyone will be able to take undergrad classes over spring or fall semesters -- they're full. Sorry.

No idea about Texas... except that that's where crappy presidents come from.

Mack

Years ago when I was first looking into post-bacc programs, I tracked down the person in charge of the program who referred me to the dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Basically I was given the run-around and then finally someone told me that the place was 'bursting at the seams' which is true (I am an alumnus) and that I should probably look elsewhere. I dont know why the advertise a post-bacc program, since they do not seem to support it very well. Anyway, I would recommend looking elsewhere, unless you are a FL resident who is hell-bent on going to a FL school, in which UF is your best bet, since the in-state tuition cannot be beat and UF is generally regarded as the most prestigious institution in Florida. If this applies to you, I am sure a little bit of legwork and tracking down of the right people and hand-wringing/pleading will enable you to regsiter for the classes you need. When I was there, often classes would fill up and the registrar and deans secrataries would tell me I couldnt take a class, when, in fact, simply calling up/emailing/visiting the professors would be enough so they would call up the dept and register me personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mackchops said:
Hey,

Avoid UF like the plague. Although the website describes a "post-bac" program and even has registration procedures lined up, they do not accept undergraduate post-bac or non-degree seeking students. I found this out only after moving to Gainesville and signing a lease. So now I'm in a second bachelor's program at UNF (2 hours away in jacksonville) and love it. I've talked with about 8 people-of-power at UF and there is no way anyone will be able to take undergrad classes over spring or fall semesters -- they're full. Sorry.

No idea about Texas... except that that's where crappy presidents come from.

Mack

so does UNF have a post-bacc program for people like me who will be graduated in may and need to enhance my science gpa along with finishing up a few prereqs (like 3 more classes)? i need to find a post-bacc program so i don't waste a year... please... anybody help! thanx!

Trust me on the UF thing. I did the pleading, begging, groveling, etc. "By order of the provost" nobody can take undergraduate level coursework as a post-bac or non-degree seeking student except over the summer. They're overfull and trying to keep the USnews rankings up (can you blame them though?) The post-bac they advertise is for select graduate (read, PhD) programs in order to provide additional preparation for special students.

As for UNF, they do have a post-bac program (search the website) but I am enrolled as a second bachelor's student and enjoy it very much. I'm given priority registration and even plan on taking orgo over the summer as a transient student at UF -- something UNF even encourages (let's hope UF is inviting... apparently I cannot register until drop/add). It's a great school, nice facilities, and I can honestly say that the teaching is some of the best I've had (and I have a bachelor's from a top tier small liberal arts school). Call Dr. Lantz and let him know what you're looking to do. He'll be very up front with you and let you know what he thinks your best options will be. PM me if you have any other questions. I endorse the school whole-heartedly.

Mack

I'm a UF alumnae and also attended UNF for a summer. Like the previous poster said, it's a GREAT school and I would HIGHLY recommend it for premed studies!

I too would avoid UF, for post bacc, undergrad, grad school, med school, ect, ect , I think you get my point! :laugh:

Why would you avoid UF for undergrad or med school?

amnesia said:
Why would you avoid UF for undergrad or med school?

For the same reason I would avoid a Klan rally! :laugh:

UF is a solid school, though.

I am not a post-bach. at unf but I've met a lot of people who have done the program. Many have been admitted to top medical schools (including UF), and they say that the program has prepared them well. Some professors are amazing, and the classes are a lot smaller than what you'll get at UF. From my experience, it's way more personal than a big school, and UNF is starting to get a good reputation in the medical world. When I interviewed at Mayo, they said that they loved students from UNF and wish they had a larger representation in their class.

From what I know, you take courses with the undergraduates in biology, physics, and chemistry to prepare for the med school prereqs. If you have any questions, let me know!
Good luck!

University of Miami has a very good postbacc program-- I did all my prereqs there, and will probably be going to med school there in the fall. PM me if you have questions.