University of Kentucky interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recieved word from UK that I am getting an interview! I was wondering who has interviewed there this year and if they had any hints or tips for me.

I'm a "non-traditional" being 30 years old and this is my first interview anywhere, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

btw, I LOVE SDN :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was just accepted at Kentucky and am probably going there so congrats! I LOVED IT. The people are very nice and the interviews are directed at getting to know YOU and your'e strengths and motivations for medicine. Have answers for why you want to be in Kentucky as well. There were no ethical or stress questions.

good luck and maybe cya in the fall!

Congrats on the interview!

Im 30 and UK accepted me this year... so they'll at least give the old guys a shot.

The interview is pretty laid back. You'll first sit in a room with 8-10 others and get an intro on the school from the director of admissions and video. Then 2 interviewers. My two interviewers were very different. The first asked some pretty standard questions but didnt allow me to give simple/short answers... why medicine, why UK, AND ESPECIALLY why NOW (which youll probably get since you are non trad). Many followups. The second guy never asked me a single question about medicine or my app... we just talked basketball, politics, and UK med school funding.

Then youll get lunch and a tour with students. A nice day and a nice school. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviews are very laid back. Uk prides itself on making it a point to not freak the students out. There are different interviewers there all the time, so it's hard to say who will interview you. From what I've heard, no one really gets any ethical questions or anything like that. It's more of a friendly, get to know you type of thing. They want to see if your PERSONALITY will fit in at UK--they try to get people who are as normal as possible. Since you are non-trad, be prepared to answer questions about what you've been up to and why you are doing this NOW. But there are plenty of non-trads that get accepted. Last year's graduating class had a guy who was in his 40s. My class has several people in their 30's. I think the new 1st year class seems younger, but that may just be appearances.

Good luck and don't worry. Having Uk as a first interview is a good thing because it's so low-key and you'll walk out of there pretty confident.

Thanks for the information. I hope it goes well, UK is my first choice.

But there are plenty of non-trads that get accepted. Last year's graduating class had a guy who was in his 40s.

That helps reduce my concern over my elderly :) age...

I think the new 1st year class seems younger, but that may just be appearances.

Don't all incoming classes always seem younger than you remember yourself being. :D seemed that way in high school and college for me.

Originally posted by Tas

Don't all incoming classes always seem younger than you remember yourself being. :D seemed that way in high school and college for me.

Well, since I'm a 2nd year, they shouldn't look THAT much younger. ;)

Well, since I'm a 2nd year, they shouldn't look THAT much younger

WOOPS! :D I suppose not!