This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you attend Mary Hardin Baylor DPT Program in Belton, TX?

• Total voters

Pursuit.of.DPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Evening,

I received an invite for an interview at UMHB for their Doctor of Physical Therapy program. Current and past students, what is the interview like? Is it a one on one interview or panel? Any ideas on what the essay portion is about? or the structure of their essays? Any information regarding UMHB would be greatly appreciated.

-Pursuit.of.DPT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm planning on applying for their Fall cycle as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Evening,

I received an invite for an interview at UMHB for their Doctor of Physical Therapy program. Current and past students, what is the interview like? Is it a one on one interview or panel? Any ideas on what the essay portion is about? or the structure of their essays? Any information regarding UMHB would be greatly appreciated.

-Pursuit.of.DPT
Hello,

Congrats on the interview. What was the process and essay like? Also, how are the facilities? I'm scheduled for October 20, and just looking for some info. Thanks!

Hello,

Congrats on the interview. What was the process and essay like? Also, how are the facilities? I'm scheduled for October 20, and just looking for some info. Thanks!

I interviewed with UMHB on 9/28. Essay is 50 minutes long. You are given an envelope from Nina (Secretary) with a # on it. This has a prompt and a flash drive. You sit down at a laptop with a few other applicants in the same room and write you essay. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully.

Following that you go downstairs to do the interview. That day, Dr. Thompson and Dr. Engelke interviewed me, 2 Faculty to One Applicant. I got asked the usual questions for interviews. Make sure you research the faculty. I knew Dr. Engelke for instance was the Director of Clinical Education, so I talked about my clinical experiences and volunteer experiences a lot more.

Make sure you know the other faculty too, I saw the Dean and Director pass by in the halls and addressed them by name to greet them. You don't want to walk past an important faculty and not know them.

Lastly, I was taken on a tour and then meet with the Dean.

Good Luck. My decision should be made ~2-3 weeks from 9/28, so prior to your interview date. Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed with UMHB on 9/28. Essay is 50 minutes long. You are given an envelope from Nina (Secretary) with a # on it. This has a prompt and a flash drive. You sit down at a laptop with a few other applicants in the same room and write you essay. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully.

Following that you go downstairs to do the interview. That day, Dr. Thompson and Dr. Engelke interviewed me, 2 Faculty to One Applicant. I got asked the usual questions for interviews. Make sure you research the faculty. I knew Dr. Engelke for instance was the Director of Clinical Education, so I talked about my clinical experiences and volunteer experiences a lot more.

Make sure you know the other faculty too, I saw the Dean and Director pass by in the halls and addressed them by name to greet them. You don't want to walk past an important faculty and not know them.

Lastly, I was taken on a tour and then meet with the Dean.

Good Luck. My decision should be made ~2-3 weeks from 9/28, so prior to your interview date. Good Luck!

Thanks for the information. It is very much appreciated! Let me know about your acceptance, but it sounds like you were very well prepared. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the information. It is very much appreciated! Let me know about your acceptance, but it sounds like you were very well prepared. Best of luck.
Hello I just received an email from UMHB that I was accepted! I am still waiting to hear back from other schools to see if I get in anywhere else, due to TUITION being so high at UMHB.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello I just received an email from UMHB that I was accepted! I am still waiting to hear back from other schools to see if I get in anywhere else, due to TUITION being so high at UMHB.
Congratulations on your acceptance! :clap: How long did it take to hear from UMHB after submitting your application?

Congratulations on your acceptance! :clap: How long did it take to hear from UMHB after submitting your application?
I turned in my application last week of July. It was verified by PTCAS first week of August, and I heard from UMHB on August 31st. So I heard from them in 3 weeks with a date for my interview. I had the interview on the 28th of September, and I found out a week after, that I was accepted.

I received an interview invitation for November 9th earlier this month. Any advice or interview tips would be greatly appreciated! I attended their information session on October 17th and met Dr. Thompson.

I received an interview invitation for November 9th earlier this month. Any advice or interview tips would be greatly appreciated! I attended their information session on October 17th and met Dr. Thompson.
The interview process was a little different. You go and type an essay first and then interview right after! They have all of your information in front of them and they were very sweet. Then someone will take you on a tour around campus. I heard back maybe two weeks after the interview!

I had a great experience as far as the interview process is concerned. Just stay relaxed and you'll be fine. As mentioned before, follow the formatting instructions very carefully when you write the essay, you have plenty of time. (You will pick an envelope before you sit down, each one has a different prompt). Other than that, just make sure you know the history of the school and the DPT website. Also be current with the apta website. It's a two on one interview. Dr. Thomas was in on my interview and she is very nice. I haven't heard back yet, but if accepted I will be attending. It is such a great atmosphere. Good luck!

Thank you guys so much! I’ve gotten to know some of the students in their program currently and attended their information session. I absolutely loved their program and how personable they were. I’m really hoping to attend this program if I get accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into UMHB, but unfortunately will not be attending. Hopefully this will help someone out in the long run because I think they have a really great program and faculty. Good luck to you all!

I turned in my application last week of July. It was verified by PTCAS first week of August, and I heard from UMHB on August 31st. So I heard from them in 3 weeks with a date for my interview. I had the interview on the 28th of September, and I found out a week after, that I was accepted.

Hi. Did you accept or have to accept by a deadline and Will you be attending UMHB in 2018?

Good Evening,

-Pursuit.of.DPT

I was accepted at UMHB and am curious about living arrangements and suggestions. What about cost of living and scholarships? Any insight? Thx.

I was accepted at UMHB and am curious about living arrangements and suggestions. What about cost of living and scholarships? Any insight? Thx.
You’ll have to research living arrangements that are on campus, but I know lots of students live off of campus. Belton, TX has higher taxes than surrounding areas from what I’ve heard, so housing may be expensive. As far as scholarships, each admitted student receives a $200 scholarship per credit hour. Additional scholarships are given to students based on needs. These are awarded by the faculty, not applied for. There are outside scholarships that can be used as well if you research them. I was told about graduate assistant opportunities as well within each cohort. If you were to be selected as a graduate assistant for your cohort, you would only have to pay half of the tuition cost for that year. Hope this helps! Good luck!!

You’ll have to research living arrangements that are on campus, but I know lots of students live off of campus. Belton, TX has higher taxes than surrounding areas from what I’ve heard, so housing may be expensive. As far as scholarships, each admitted student receives a $200 scholarship per credit hour. Additional scholarships are given to students based on needs. These are awarded by the faculty, not applied for. There are outside scholarships that can be used as well if you research them. I was told about graduate assistant opportunities as well within each cohort. If you were to be selected as a graduate assistant for your cohort, you would only have to pay half of the tuition cost for that year. Hope this helps! Good luck!!

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback

Hi guys! My interview is next week (1/25) and I am extremely nervous/excited for it. For the essay portion of the interview, what type of questions did they ask for you guys to write? Was it personal based, about the PT world, or about the school? Please let me know as soon as you see this. Thanks!

I had a great experience as far as the interview process is concerned. Just stay relaxed and you'll be fine. As mentioned before, follow the formatting instructions very carefully when you write the essay, you have plenty of time. (You will pick an envelope before you sit down, each one has a different prompt). Other than that, just make sure you know the history of the school and the DPT website. Also be current with the apta website. It's a two on one interview. Dr. Thomas was in on my interview and she is very nice. I haven't heard back yet, but if accepted I will be attending. It is such a great atmosphere. Good luck!

Hi, did they ask you about the history of the school and the DPT and apta website during your interview?

Hi guys! My interview is next week (1/25) and I am extremely nervous/excited for it. For the essay portion of the interview, what type of questions did they ask for you guys to write? Was it personal based, about the PT world, or about the school? Please let me know as soon as you see this. Thanks!
Good luck! You'll do great!!
They have different essay prompts but mine was talking about a challenge that I had. It isn't a blind interview, so they have all of your information in front of them. The interviewers that I had were really sweet and just asked about the experiences that I had pretty much.

no they didnt. they asked you stuff like that?
Hi, my interview is this upcoming week. I asked because you said make to know history of the school, DPT and APTA website so I assumed you were mentioning because they asked you. I just wanted to ensure I was fully prepared for the interview!

They didn't ask me about the history of the school and the APTA website, they asked @DPTpossible those questions. My interview was very informal. They were asking me questions about my background, what my passions were, and where i would like to see the field of physical therapy go. I have a lot of research hours and a ton of experience. So the interview isn't the same for everyone at UMHB. I think its based on what you bring to the table. and they look at you as whole, and not just stats on a paper. i hope you do well, and i see you in the program in august :)

They didn't ask me about the history of the school and the APTA website, they asked @DPTpossible those questions. My interview was very informal. They were asking me questions about my background, what my passions were, and where i would like to see the field of physical therapy go. I have a lot of research hours and a ton of experience. So the interview isn't the same for everyone at UMHB. I think its based on what you bring to the table. and they look at you as whole, and not just stats on a paper. i hope you do well, and i see you in the program in august :)
I got in!! Can't wait to meet you as well!