University of Miami commute vs. Nova SE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b0rganic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've recently been accepted to both Nova South Eastern and the University of Miami. Both are comparable in price, but my wife and I have the opportunity to live rent free about an hour north of UM or 25-30 min from Nova. I am drawn to Miami's program, but I am wondering if anyone has insight into having such a long commute for DPT school? Does the quality of the Miami program warrant a long commute and the extra gas money/ wear and tear on the car/ time with family? It is always possible to relocate to Miami eventually if it is too stressful, but this means more money in loans. Ah yes, and we are having a baby in April. I have heard mixed opinions from the therapists that I work with, but I wanted to put it out there and see what the student community thinks.Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't say which choice is better, but i'll give you my two sense.

I go to FIU and commute from Hallandale. Takes me about 45 minutes without any traffic, but when is there no traffic when you have to drive both the 95 and turnpike? I'll be very honest in saying that the commute has been the roughest part of PT school having just finished my first semester. I was severely lacking in both sleep and time because of the extra time needed to get to class. I can't even tell you the last time I stepped foot in a grocery store. Thankfully, my boyfriend has taken on all the household duties, but that won't be so easy as a soon-to-be new father. Also keep in mind that getting to UM is possibly the worst drive every and you will without a doubt hit traffic probably every day.

On the flip side, UM's program is ranked really well and Nova not so much. Usually I always say go to the cheapest and most convenient PT program bc everyone will agree it doesn't matter, however for whatever reason Nova has managed to develop a poor repuation amongst PTs in Miami. They just don't like students that come out of that program and PTs themselves have admitted to me they would rather hire the other guy that didn't go to Nova. I would investigate this more however with the PTs you've met. Also consider that UM's program is kind of designed to be on campus all day. When I visited, the program director expressed how unnecessary a car was because you should be living by campus and on campus at most times. No car in Miami? please..

I can't say which choice is better, but i'll give you my two sense.

I go to FIU and commute from Hallandale. Takes me about 45 minutes without any traffic, but when is there no traffic when you have to drive both the 95 and turnpike? I'll be very honest in saying that the commute has been the roughest part of PT school having just finished my first semester. I was severely lacking in both sleep and time because of the extra time needed to get to class. I can't even tell you the last time I stepped foot in a grocery store. Thankfully, my boyfriend has taken on all the household duties, but that won't be so easy as a soon-to-be new father. Also keep in mind that getting to UM is possibly the worst drive every and you will without a doubt hit traffic probably every day.

On the flip side, UM's program is ranked really well and Nova not so much. Usually I always say go to the cheapest and most convenient PT program bc everyone will agree it doesn't matter, however for whatever reason Nova has managed to develop a poor repuation amongst PTs in Miami. They just don't like students that come out of that program and PTs themselves have admitted to me they would rather hire the other guy that didn't go to Nova. I would investigate this more however with the PTs you've met. Also consider that UM's program is kind of designed to be on campus all day. When I visited, the program director expressed how unnecessary a car was because you should be living by campus and on campus at most times. No car in Miami? please..

Not the OP but what you said about Nova is really scary :( I'm also going to be going to either Nova or UM (if I get in to UM) and am in the same situation, I'll have a 45-60 min commute for UM and no commute for Nova. I was 100% stuck on UM but had just started to consider nova because I know I'll have a better quality of life without the commute... and now my head is spinning all over again!! I've heard that Nova's program can be easy/doesn't prepare people well but I've only ever been told that it still doesn't matter where you go if you put your all into it... to hear that nova has a negative stigma around it is just terrible!

How do you like FIU so far? I also applied there but was very unimpressed when I visited so I wasn't really considering it... I drove from Tampa to see the school and the person I was supposed to meet with didn't show up!! Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't make any comparisons between the 2 programs , but an hour long commute to and from UM will take it's toll on you. I lived on the beach before starting at UM and purposely moved closer to campus because I did not want to deal with the traffic going in/out of downtown Miami. Personally, I would recommend moving closer to UM if you decide to go there. While it will increase your financial responsibility, I think it would give more time between your family, newborn, and studying.

Thanks for all the insight. Too bad to hear about all the negative info regarding Nova. That makes my decision a little easier. I think Miami is the program for me, but commuting is the pits. Fortunately, I won't be doing the 95 commute. I'm coming from the other direction on the west side and it seems a little better. We shall see. If we can't make it work we will live closer, but for now, with the parental support and free rent, I feel like we should try to make it work with the commute. I was thinking of recording lectures and listening while I drive home, and also leaving at the crack of dawn so I can get some gym or study time in. The fact that class is only m-th might make it a little easier as well. Riseboi, what is the normal class schedule on a weekly basis? Do you feel the workload is manageable? Are your classmates happy with the education at UM?

Last edited:
During the first semester, classes are M-F, roughly 8-5 on M,W, F. I can't remember the times of the T, Th classes but they are generally short days. After the first semester, classes are generally 8-4/5 M-Th. It fluctuates a little every semester. Elective courses are typically on weekends F-Sat or Sun.

The workload is certainly manageable. Prioritizing your time is key.

IDK, I think my class was happy with our educations. As far as I know, we all passed the NPTE the first time around.

Not the OP but what you said about Nova is really scary :( I'm also going to be going to either Nova or UM (if I get in to UM) and am in the same situation, I'll have a 45-60 min commute for UM and no commute for Nova. I was 100% stuck on UM but had just started to consider nova because I know I'll have a better quality of life without the commute... and now my head is spinning all over again!! I've heard that Nova's program can be easy/doesn't prepare people well but I've only ever been told that it still doesn't matter where you go if you put your all into it... to hear that nova has a negative stigma around it is just terrible!

How do you like FIU so far? I also applied there but was very unimpressed when I visited so I wasn't really considering it... I drove from Tampa to see the school and the person I was supposed to meet with didn't show up!! Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I would choose quality of life any day of the week. If you are not able to function day in and day out you won't be happy in PT school. Regardless of what everyone says you spend more time out of class, so if going to Nova means you can SLEEP, save money, and take care of things outside of class, go there.

About FIU..I absolutely love the program. The faculty are very supportive and want to help the students. No one is there to fail you. Don't get me wrong, it was the hardest semester ever and the coursework was extremely challenging, but I really felt like the professors support the idea that you will not know everything 100% as soon as you learn it. PT school is a marathon not a race. The professors are also really understanding when it comes to personal situations, which everyone will have at least once in the 3 years they are in school. The other students have also come together as well and everyone is very supportive of one another. I personally am more of an independent learner, but I have been amazed at how well everyone else executes their study groups and such. I considered UM's program as well, I wasn't as impressed with their facilities and research opportunities, but I went to a private school just like UM for my undergrad and wanted something bigger with more flexibility that comes with going to a public school, and also cheaper. In other words, I love FIU :)