University of Miami Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marcelo183

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an offer to interview any weekend from the end of January to beginning of February. I picked January 22nd.

Anyone else pick that date?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview offer from Miami today, thinking about picking one of the mid February dates. Ive been accepted into Nova, but UM is definitely my number one choice.

How did your guys interviews go? How many other applicants were there also interviewing ? What kind of questions did they ask? How long after your interview did you hear of an acceptance/ rejection? Any other tips would be awesome. Thanks guys, wish me luck!

Yesterday I found out that I got invited for an interview to Miami too. I'm pretty excited about this one!

I picked Feb 5th as my first choice and Feb 12 as my second. Ill probably see you there.

Just curious,
For those of you that were accepted into UM or received interviews

what was your overall GPA and extra currics?

Members don't see this ad :)
University:University of North Florida
Major:Athletic Training
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: 3.62
Upper Level GPA: 3.84
GRE: Q580 V510 W4.0

Volunteer: 200 Outpatient/Inpatient/Pediatric

Hey there guys. I just got a Hotel booked for my Jan 29th interview. The prices are RIDICULOUS. Anyways I'm shelling out 90$ a night for the 28th and 29th. If someone wants to split the room with me to save money let me know.

Last edited:
$90, that isn't bad at all. Mine ended up being like $150ish a night for Feb. 4th and 5th. Kudos to you!

Hopefully, Miami isn't interviewing too many more than the number of spots available. I'll be curious to know how many other applicants are also interviewing with you on that specific day.

Best of luck on your interview and keep us posted!

I just interviewed at UM this past Friday (Jan 22) in the morning session; they did say that they were interviewing around 250 people for 50 spots (of course they'll accept more than that/wait list some, given that not 100% take them up on their offers). However, they also said that it was their biggest applicant year, with a pool of around 500! I suppose it's the same for many DPT programs, with the induction of PTCAS.... at every interview, the program directors seem overwhelmed with simply the logistics of arranging interviews since they're needing to interview much more than historically so!

They also said that they would let you know by 2 weeks post-interview (if you are immediately accepted/rejected), or that you would be put back into the application pool. Then, you have a week to secure your spot; needing to give them a definite answer by March 15! The program starts in May, so I guess that makes sense.

How many other interviewees were there yesterday?

I'd say around 50, for the 8:45 session. There was also a 1:45 session, and I'm not sure what that was like.

Interview next Friday...starting to get NERVOUS.

My interview is scheduled for the 12th. For those who have already interviewed, do any of the faculty (or anyone) go over financial assistance and/or academic scholarships? If you are accepted, will you be notified if you've been awarded a scholarship?

Interview Tomorrow 8:45 am! Big day, Big day! Good luck to all you SDNF people...

Ill be sure to post some feedback on the overall experience/day...

I interview @ Miami (FL) on Feb. 5th and I was very impressed with everything - it is now my top choice. Everyone was very friendly and it was obvious the faculty really cares about their students. I'm just hoping for the best now.

Yea... I was there that day too.. Do you remember who interviewed you? I had Cohen, overall I think it went pretty well.

I hope I make the cut, the competition does seem a bit intense. After all, they are only excepting 50 people out of 250 interviewees.

Keep me posted if you hear anything.

Does anyone know how Miami is notifying applicants of admissions decisions (Email, regular mail, phone call)? Has anyone who interviewed in January heard back yet? It hasn't been that long since my interview, but I'm still getting sort of anxious :)

Last edited:
I got a certified letter on Monday saying I got in. I interviewed Jan 22nd. When did you interview?

Nice work PT4me.. Would you mind sharing your stats? I had my interview Feb 5, so hopefully I hear something soon as well. Is UM your #1 choice?

Thanks for the info, pt4me! Congrats on your acceptance!! :) I interviewed on January 29th. Keeping my fingers crossed to hear something soon! :xf: Did they give you a deadline to respond?

Hey! Thnx for the congrats :) Here are my stats according to ptcas after my academic update:

Undergrad: UC San Diego
Major: Political Science
Overall GPA: 3.53
Pre-Req GPA: 3.83
GRE: 600V 750Q 4.5A
PT Hrs: 21 nursing home, 51 hospital, 103 outpatient
Extra Currics: relay for life, field hockey, lacrosse, ultimate, mentor, im sports, a couple others

They give you 7 days to respond. Since it is certified and you have to sign for the acceptance, they know when you received it. They say to turn in $300 immediately and then $200 later by March 31st when you know you want to go there for sure.

I accepted and am going there :)! The only way I am possibly not going there is if I get off the University of Illinois Chicago waitlist and then I would go check out that school (in state, much cheaper, great program). I probably won't get off that list though. Sooooo most likely U of Miami! :)

...interview jan ...waiting to hear back....one of my top choices!

I had my interview recently at U of Miami and was disappointed at what I heard. While the campus is by far the most beautiful one I have ever seen, the fact that the program offers no merit scholarships is beyond disappointing. To work so hard as an undergraduate and to be offered no assistance is upsetting. They do have some scholarships available but are a pittance when compared to the scholarships of other schools.

Anyone hear back that was at the jan 29 interview?

Anyone hear back from Miami lately?

Yes, I received my letter in the mail on Friday and they want a decision 7 days from then. I had my interview on the 12th February.

Hope that helps.

Did they say they would send all of the applicants an e-mail indicating if they were accepted, rejected, or put back in the application pool? For those who were accpeted, they would receive an e-mail, along with a certified letter?

My GPA 3.95
pre req 3.91
GRE 420v 620Q 5 W
4 LOR
155+ volunteer hours

accepted VCU, Columbia, Nova, USF, UF

waiting on Duke, Miami, :(

Last edited:
Hahah.. I kinda meant the other DPT, DPTdecision. Sorry, I should have specified.. Thanks though.

Hahah.. I kinda meant the other DPT, DPTdecision. Sorry, I should have specified.. Thanks though.

I think your stats are higher than mine; don't think you have to sweat it.
PTCAS GPA: 3.48
Pre-req: 3.41
GRE: V 570 Q 650 A 4.5
Observation Hours: nearly 900hrs in outpatient, home health, aquatic, geriatric;
Extra curricular: A few local volunteer opportunities; Peace Corps Volunteer
I took a bit of a different route to PT school, but I did major in Kinesiology.

If you know what you want out of the program, I think that makes a big difference in the interview. Good luck & hope this info helps!

How was everyone's interview with UM today?

Hector--> they had one today (2/26)...When was your interview and have heard from them?

Mine was 2/5 as well. I actually called them today to get a status on my application and the woman I talked to said some where in mid-March. I am not going to take her word though because she said the admissions committee is going through 500 more applications...

I had my interview today and I think it went really well!

There were probably about 20-25 people there today with a couple of no-shows.

Mine was 2/5 as well. I actually called them today to get a status on my application and the woman I talked to said some where in mid-March. I am not going to take her word though because she said the admissions committee is going through 500 more applications...

I know that they had an unusually high applicant pool this year of about 500 and according to the info I've found on here they are only interviewing about 250. Considering classes start in May I don't see how they could be processing another 500 applications especially since the deadline was in December...

I was told I will receive notice by mid March.

I think its entirely silly that UM interviews such a large pool. Why interview 250-300+ people when only taking 50? That's an acceptance percentage of 16-20%. It just doesn't seem logical to me. Why not gather the pool and look at the top 100-150 applicants then interview them.. I'm sure it would be a lot more cost/time effective for the faculty and UM. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the importance of the interview process...but based on the relaxed style of the interview and the general "get to know you questions", it seemed more like a chit-chat than an interview(In comparison to the other DPT interviews I've been involved in). However, I did notice an interviewee grading rubric so who knows? I just cant imagine the interview portion having that much weight in the over all applicant profile.

I dunno, it just seems like an awful lot of wasted time for applicants and faculty.

Perhaps I'm missing something here or looking at it from the wrong perspective?

I think its entirely silly that UM interviews such a large pool. Why interview 250-300+ people when only taking 50? That's an acceptance percentage of 16-20%. It just doesn't seem logical to me. Why not gather the pool and look at the top 100-150 applicants then interview them.. I'm sure it would be a lot more cost/time effective for the faculty and UM. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the importance of the interview process...but based on the relaxed style of the interview and the general "get to know you questions", it seemed more like a chit-chat than an interview(In comparison to the other DPT interviews I've been involved in). However, I did notice an interviewee grading rubric so who knows? I just cant imagine the interview portion having that much weight in the over all applicant profile.

I dunno, it just seems like an awful lot of wasted time for applicants and faculty.

Perhaps I'm missing something here or looking at it from the wrong perspective?

Maybe too many candidates looked exactly the same on paper? I dunno, it could have been an arbitrary decision to just cut the pool in half.

But from my experience the other day, Miami firmly believes in having a diverse program and also prides themselves in picking candidates that may seem unlikely, but with very successful results.

I'm sure they want to weed out the DPT applicants who "kinda sorta" think they want to get into physical therapy, aren't up to date with what's going on in the field, or simply aren't interested in contributing to physical therapy not only through practice in the clinic, but through research as well; seeing how they are very highly research oriented at Miami.

Just my .02, but that being said I've got my fingers crossed! :xf: Miami really seems like the program for me!