University of Michigan Dental School - Pros & Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acvdental937

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dental students attending University of Michigan: are/were you happy with your education? What would you say are the pros & the cons of your school? How is the student life/culture?

Members don't see this ad.

Dental students attending University of Michigan: are/were you happy with your education? What would you say are the pros & the cons of your school? How is the student life/culture?

Hey, D4 at Michigan here!

To be truthfully honest with you my experience with Michigan was both amazing and not amazing. First 2 years started with strong academic course, strong simulation lab to prepare for clinic, and lots of hands on clinical experiences both as D1/D2. I had my first filling/cleaning D2 year (summer) which was exciting at the time for us all.

However, the school is undergoing current complete renovations, which has drastically impacted our clinical flow/volume of patients. Add COVID to that and it has been tough in clinic to say the least. The renovations should be done by end of 2021 though (so probably would not impact this next incoming class at all). From the new areas I've seen, it is going to be STUUUUPID nice so good for you guys.

Other than that, clinically I feel confident on most things despite all the clinic setbacks. Multiple crown cases, prostho cases and daily operative for me. We have optional rotations in both oral surgery and orthodontics if you feel so drawn to those. D4 year rotations are 4 weeks each semester so 12 weeks TOTAL at independent clinics in Michigan (also a great experience for us). Faculty are truly experts in their fields, research opportunities are basically thrown at you, and we get to make our own schedules in clinic for the most part. The overall "culture" of Michigan is truly special; everyone and I mean EVERYONE has their own niche/people and everyone is willing to help each other out. Lots of upperclassmen mentoring and lots of social events (pre covid). With that being said we have CONS, we have multiple "grad" programs which takes a lot from the undergraduate clinics such as perio surgeries/molar endo/complex prosth cases. This is a problem at a lot of schools with grad programs so if you're looking for lots of endo or pre-doc implant stuff, you're not going to get that at Michigan. Despite the setbacks though, Michigan has such an amazing student population, well-balanced and truly good people/intelligent beyond belief. I would choose Michigan if I had to do it again.

Feel free to ask me any more questions ! Good luck !

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for your response @maizeandbluedds!!

It sounds like a really great school! How do you enjoy living in Ann Arbor? Is it safe? Are there a lot of things to do on the weekends?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course!

Personally, I love Ann Arbor. I've lived in big cities my whole life (Chicago) - so I was nervous about moving to a smaller town. However, there's no shortage of anything here. My friends and I are always doing something, we love going to Detroit on the weekends and during football season we're reserved for games and tailgates. Otherwise, I promise you'll find something to do. Going "up north" is a Michigan thing summer - fall, truly the best wineries and views I've seen in the midwest. But even in the coldest of months we keep ourselves occupied !!

Super safe here! It's such a unique place to live. It's half college town half "real people" town as we call it. There's so many people associated with UofM but Ann Arbor itself is a totally different entity and the locals are special for sure lol

Reactions: 1 user
After my interview and hearing the plans of renovations I decided to go elsewhere...in a few years when they’re finish I’d consider