University of Michigan Interview Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashanti Rock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am interviewing at UMICH on friday and was wondering if any of those who have already been accepted had any words of wisdom for me. I've already read the interview feedback questions, I'm looking for more progression of the day, feel of interviewers, how the large group imapacted the day, etc. I would really appreciate any input! Somewhere 2010, princessd3, others, I know you're out there....I've seen you on the Wall of Fame :) . Thanks you guys and congratulations for your sucess, I'm green with envy :laugh:

Ashanti

Members don't see this ad.

Ashanti Rock said:
Hello All,

I am interviewing at UMICH on friday and was wondering if any of those who have already been accepted had any words of wisdom for me. I've already read the interview feedback questions, I'm looking for more progression of the day, feel of interviewers, how the large group imapacted the day, etc. I would really appreciate any input! Somewhere 2010, princessd3, others, I know you're out there....I've seen you on the Wall of Fame :) . Thanks you guys and congratulations for your sucess, I'm green with envy :laugh:

Ashanti
Ashanti,

I was just *really* positive during my interviews. It wasn't hard, since at Michigan you will be treated very well by the (3) interviewers. Beyond exuding a positive feeling and being enthusiastic, there not much more I think you need to do.

I'm nervous about U of M as well. I have an interview there the same day. Are you SURE you don't have any other words of wisdom?

On a lighter note, being superstitious, I purchased my 9 month old daughter a cheerleader unform for U Mich that I spotted in Kmart, despite my broken bank account. Somehow, that made me feel better. Perhaps it's because I get this image of her cheering me on.

Members don't see this ad :)
novemberrainne said:
I'm nervous about U of M as well. I have an interview there the same day. Are you SURE you don't have any other words of wisdom?

On a lighter note, being superstitious, I purchased my 9 month old daughter a cheerleader unform for U Mich that I spotted in Kmart, despite my broken bank account. Somehow, that made me feel better. Perhaps it's because I get this image of her cheering me on.

Bring a picture of her in the outfit to show the interviewers. It could be a good discussion topic. Plus, who doesn't like a cute baby?

Ashanti Rock said:
Hello All,

Ashanti

First of all congratulations on your interview!!! I don't know what else I can tell you but enjoy yourself. Yeah the group is large and that could be kind of intimidating but get to know people. The students are friendly and the director is friendly too. Talk to him as well. Just exude class, confidence and composure. Have fun!!!

My best advice: If you're really enthusiastic about UMich, be able to articulate why. They want students who are genuinely excited about their school.
Also, take the opportunity to get to know the other interviewees. I met some pretty fantastic people while I was there.

Enjoy your interview. GO BLUE!

Chopianista said:
Also, take the opportunity to get to know the other interviewees. I met some pretty fantastic people while I was there.
This is a good point. Talk with the other interviewees. I know it sounds obvious, but if you are a person who is shy or nervous, it may not come naturally in an interview cohort of 50 people. But if you do start talking, you'll become more relaxed and you'll get yourself ready to do the interview talking later on. Also, it's a good way to learn more about the school; you'll be surprised at how much the other interviewees know, especially the ones who go to UMich undergrad.

Also, look over your extracurricular activities and remind yourself why you are enthusiastic about them; it will come across in the interview. And one final thing to keep in mind is what you think makes a good doctor: I like doctors who are excited about something, and who try to relate their interests to mine. During your interview, show how and why you're excited about what you like, and also try to emphasize the things that allow you to relate to your interviewer. I always spend some time asking my interviewers about themselves, because it helps me talk about things that they can also discuss in a similar depth.

I've done quite a few interviews, and I'd honestly say my Michigan interviews were the easiest. The interviewers were extremely positive and had thoroughly read my application. Their questions came straight from the app and were not tricky. It felt much more like they were trying to convince me to come to Michigan rather than trying to test me in any way. Good luck.

Thanks guys for all your great responses! I'm definately looking forward to my interview.

princessd3 said:
First of all congratulations on your interview!!! I don't know what else I can tell you but enjoy yourself. Yeah the group is large and that could be kind of intimidating but get to know people. The students are friendly and the director is friendly too. Talk to him as well. Just exude class, confidence and composure. Have fun!!!

ditto! just have a blast...the place is so full of energy, and mr. ruiz, the admissions director, really wants you to love it there. so if you already do, just make sure to let everyone (interviewers, admissions staff) know it! the big group is kind of weird at first, but you get split in half so it's 20 ppl...not too weird. then your tour is in an even smaller group, so it's definitely manageable! definitely just be yourself and have a great time! it's such a wonderful place :)

Thanks everyone! I'm so nervous about this one that I've been having nightmares.

Ashanti Rock said:
Hello All,

Ashanti

Well, how did everything go?

princessd3 said:
Well, how did everything go?

Hey Princess,

Wow! I feel special, thanks for asking! I think it went really well. Everyone was absolutely right! It was definately no stress, and the school, students, etc. were all amazing! I'm still waiting to find out if I got in or not. I guess we'll know by Dec. 14th :eek:. I'll keep you posted. Are you definately going to Michigan or are there other schools you're considering?

~Ashanti

Ashanti Rock said:
Hey Princess,

Wow! I feel special, thanks for asking! I think it went really well. Everyone was absolutely right! It was definately no stress, and the school, students, etc. were all amazing! I'm still waiting to find out if I got in or not. I guess we'll know by Dec. 14th :eek:. I'll keep you posted. Are you definately going to Michigan or are there other schools you're considering?

~Ashanti

I really, really, really like Michigan but the financial aspect is really important to. So I am not 100%. I think it is a great school though. Is it your top choice?

princessd3 said:
I really, really, really like Michigan but the financial aspect is really important to. So I am not 100%. I think it is a great school though. Is it your top choice?

I hear you on that! We were told that this year they have a million dollars in scholarship money for the incoming class, so hopefully some of that will be getting flashed our way! I would also like to go there, but I think I'm not going to be definately sure until I compare financial aid packets in the spring. Oops I guess I'm getting a step ahead of myself.....I still need to get in :laugh:

My interview went well, too. They sent me the acceptance video this Sunday! I don't know how they accepted me so quickly. Has anyone else had this experience? The adcom couldn't have possibly met in two days. LizzyM, do you have any insight if you're around? The weirdest thing is that this was my fourth interview and my first acceptance. The other schools take too long! I will definitely be attending U Mich next year. I love the curriculum and the people there.

Ashanti Rock, I looked for you that day to no avail. That group was just HUGE! I hope everything goes well for you.

novemberrainne said:
My interview went well, too. They sent me the acceptance video this Sunday! I don't know how they accepted me so quickly. Has anyone else had this experience? The adcom couldn't have possibly met in two days. LizzyM, do you have any insight if you're around? The weirdest thing is that this was my fourth interview and my first acceptance. The other schools take too long! I will definitely be attending U Mich next year. I love the curriculum and the people there.

Ashanti Rock, I looked for you that day to no avail. That group was just HUGE! I hope everything goes well for you.

I had a similar experience. My interview was on a Friday and I received the acceptance email the next day! I'm still baffled as to how they made the decision so quickly... I'm not complaining, though! Weeks later, I'm still completely elated!
:D

novemberrainne said:

Thanks Novemberrainne. Congratulations, you must have absolutely rocked your interview! I would definately love to go to UMICH, but i think that I won't find out until dec. 14th. Good luck with the rest of your interviews!

Ashanti

I sure hope they'll have acceptances left for the later interviewees. :(

novemberrainne said:
They sent me the acceptance video this Sunday! I don't know how they accepted me so quickly. Has anyone else had this experience? The adcom couldn't have possibly met in two days.
I interviewes on 10/14. Some of the people interviewed on that day received the midnight (10/15) email. I'd been home for only 4 hours before learning of my acceptance! :eek: :) Other 10/14 interviewees waited a couple of weeks to find out.

I never heard this straight out, but I think the committee discusses some/many applicants that afternoon. I think it depends on how quickly your interviewers submit your interview feedback and the timing of the committee meetings. I do not think a delay is an indication that they like a candidate any less than another...

If you're still waiting, good luck! :luck: and GO BLUE!!!

happydays said:
I sure hope they'll have acceptances left for the later interviewees. :(
Don't worry. They save some. There is only a slightly greater chance of acceptance for the (very) early interviewees than the later ones. :thumbup:

When I toured there last year, my M1 guide had interviewed on the very last day of interviews the preceding spring.