University of Michigan Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxboi33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received an interview for Umich. Couple of questions about it.

1. Can anyone who has had an interview there tell me what the setup is like?

2. I have a relatively early interview. It's on October 7th. What does this mean in terms of "chances of getting in?". I've heard from people that the earlier the interview the better the chances of getting in. It never really made sense to me though. Could someone explain this to me?

Members don't see this ad.

Just received an interview for Umich. Couple of questions about it.

1. Can anyone who has had an interview there tell me what the setup is like?

2. I have a relatively early interview. It's on October 7th. What does this mean in terms of "chances of getting in?". I've heard from people that the earlier the interview the better the chances of getting in. It never really made sense to me though. Could someone explain this to me?

I always wondered if it wasn't just the case that the more competitive applicants got earlier interviews and as a result were more likely to get in (until December 1st that is). But I don't know much about it.

As far as the interview goes, I have heard that it is sort of like speed dating. There are roughly 7 stations that you have a set amount of time at. Each station has an adcom guy who asks you different types of questions. I haven't interviewed there though.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the people who got interview invites to University of Michigan:

When was your mailing date?
Did you get the invite via E-mail or phone call?

Good luck on the interview

Imagine about 30 people entering a lab room. There are 4 rows of benches with 8 stations, 8 scenarios, and 8 interviewers. You get 10 minutes to read it and talk. Timer goes off. Next station.

To the people who got interview invites to University of Michigan:

When was your mailing date?
Did you get the invite via E-mail or phone call?

Good luck on the interview

1. 7/29 mailing date
2. E-mail

Your chances are better the earlier you interview because they have a rolling admissions process. This means that if they interview 100 people and decide 60 are worth admissions offers, the next cycle they will only be looking for 40 offers out of 100. If 20 of those total 100 offers turn it down, the next cycle they will only be looking for 20 out of 100 to offer admissions to. Etc. They will have offered 100 invites out of 300 but your best odds are in the first cycle when they have all of their spots to fill. Hope that clears it up a little.

Question: is the interview format MMI + personal 1-on-1 interview? Or is it only MMI?

Your chances are better the earlier you interview because they have a rolling admissions process. This means that if they interview 100 people and decide 60 are worth admissions offers, the next cycle they will only be looking for 40 offers out of 100. If 20 of those total 100 offers turn it down, the next cycle they will only be looking for 20 out of 100 to offer admissions to. Etc. They will have offered 100 invites out of 300 but your best odds are in the first cycle when they have all of their spots to fill. Hope that clears it up a little.

thanks spartan. Do you know how many people they interview for in-state? Also, how much of an advantage does in-state have? I would assume a lot more than OOS, but I feel like I would get a better feel for my chances if I were to know how many in-state students they interviewed. This application cycle and all of the unknown's is probably taking years off of my life. Can't wait until all of this is over.

U of M is not a school that necessarily favors in state applicants. Theyaccept approximately 60% in state, but they have already leveled the playingfield by the time you get to interviews as they arrange the interview invitesin such a way that it is already about 60% in state and 40% OOS. So essentiallyyour chances are the same by the time you get to interviews.

I believe it is all MMI. 10 interviews based mostly in case scenarios. Theyare relatively relaxed but that depends greatly on how you handle pressuresituations...it is an interview after all I wouldn't stress about it toomuch...there's nothing you can really do about it until you get there and thenjust be yourself. Good luck!

U of M is not a school that necessarily favors in state applicants. Theyaccept approximately 60% in state, but they have already leveled the playingfield by the time you get to interviews as they arrange the interview invitesin such a way that it is already about 60% in state and 40% OOS. So essentiallyyour chances are the same by the time you get to interviews.

I believe it is all MMI. 10 interviews based mostly in case scenarios. Theyare relatively relaxed but that depends greatly on how you handle pressuresituations...it is an interview after all I wouldn't stress about it toomuch...there's nothing you can really do about it until you get there and thenjust be yourself. Good luck!

So you mean if you get an interview at MICH, you have a great chance of being accepted??

im so nervous, when they emailed me they said i had an october 7th interview then i confirmed and they said that day was full so they moved it to october 28th but i have another interview so i had to call and now im scheduled for november 4th. I wonder if the difference between an october 7th interview and a november 4th interview is going to hurt my chances!

I just want to know my chances as an in-state candidate. I looked up the number of interviewees for in-state under the ADEA manual and it said NR. Preferably a percentage. This entire process is very agonizing. Can't wait until it's over.

I just want to know my chances as an in-state candidate. I looked up the number of interviewees for in-state under the ADEA manual and it said NR. Preferably a percentage. This entire process is very agonizing. Can't wait until it's over.

Talking to Pattie in Admissions...and this was honestly the best piece of information I came upon during the whole application process...
105 seats -----> roughly 2500 applicants
63 in-state -----> roughly 300 applicants
42 OOS --------> roughly 2200 applicants

so basically a 20% shot for instate just based off of applications, not even the actual number they interview from those applications.

Reactions: 1 user
good luck guys! UofM is an awesome school.

Hey everyone - are all the stations MMI format? Or do we also get traditional questions like "why dentistry, why Mich, tell me about yourself," etc?

I just don't want to get too bogged down with these ethical dilemmas that I totally forget about the standard questions lol. Thanks!

Hey everyone - are all the stations MMI format? Or do we also get traditional questions like "why dentistry, why Mich, tell me about yourself," etc?

I just don't want to get too bogged down with these ethical dilemmas that I totally forget about the standard questions lol. Thanks!

I'd like to bump this. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Thanks!

I'd like to bump this. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Thanks!

There is one station dedicated to your application. Sometimes after a station, you have extra time left and your interviewer might as you 'why dentistry' or any kind of question. But everything else is purely MMI.