University of MIchigan Pre-Med or bs/dds at Detroit Mercy?

taechris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently got accepted to Detroit Mercy's 7 year bs/dds. I'm really happy that I was accepted but now I have a dilemma... I was planning on majoring in biomedical engineering at Michigan with pre-med prereqs and then onto med school at Michigan... Personally, I'd be fine being a dentist or a doctor, however I do want to be a doctor more. The fact that Detroit Mercy is guaranteed is super tempting though (as long as I don't slip in grades)! Anyways, please give me your input on what you would do if you were in my situation... Reasoning would be nice so I can think over them when making the decision in April/May.

P.S. For anybody that wants to know my stats.... here you go:
ACT: 34
GPA: UW: 3.7 W: 4.3

Members don't see this ad.

Congratz! That's pretty cool. But, you should do some shadowing and find out what you really want to do. You say you could do either, but you never know. If you want to be a doctor, then become a doctor; there shouldn't be a one or the other.

Mercy. Michigan does not like to rebrand their students onto medical school at all. I've known 3.8+ undergrads and a valedictorian who michigan wouldn't accept to med school because they took their undergrad there already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I recently got accepted to Detroit Mercy's 7 year bs/dds. I'm really happy that I was accepted but now I have a dilemma... I was planning on majoring in biomedical engineering at Michigan with pre-med prereqs and then onto med school at Michigan... Personally, I'd be fine being a dentist or a doctor, however I do want to be a doctor more. The fact that Detroit Mercy is guaranteed is super tempting though (as long as I don't slip in grades)! Anyways, please give me your input on what you would do if you were in my situation... Reasoning would be nice so I can think over them when making the decision in April/May.

From what I've heard, umich is notoriously difficult to get accepted to med school. You have aspirations for a more difficult major, which is sort of a red flag. If you want to be a pre med, I don't suggest going to Ann Arbor. And plus, dentistry and medical school are totally different. Ask yourself what you want out of your life and career. You can't go wrong but for Pre-Med I don't suggest UMich. Maybe another easier school... Unless you don't mind waiting and extra year or two if you don't get accepted to medical school.

I think you should just go to med school. With stats like yours, if you don't slip up you'll probably get in somewhere.