Program-Specific Info / Q's UNIVERSITY of Minnesota--twin cities and university of wisconsin la crosse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot_pedi10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I will graduate undergraduate on may 2017. I am applying to masters ot program at University of Minnesota--twin cities and University of Wisconsin--lacrosse. I know they look for an exceptional GPA, but other that that, what makes a candidate stand out from the rest? Is Minnesota--twin cities classes all hybrid? If anyone got accepted to any of these two schools or applied there, let me know how the application process is and how to get in. Also, my graduation date is may 5th. Will I be able to move to WI from TN in time for classes to start May 23rd? Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I will graduate undergraduate on may 2017. I am applying to masters ot program at University of Minnesota--twin cities and University of Wisconsin--lacrosse. I know they look for an exceptional GPA, but other that that, what makes a candidate stand out from the rest? Is Minnesota--twin cities classes all hybrid? If anyone got accepted to any of these two schools or applied there, let me know how the application process is and how to get in. Also, my graduation date is may 5th. Will I be able to move to WI from TN in time for classes to start May 23rd? Thanks for your help

Hello, I was accepted to The University of Minnesota OT Program for fall 2016. Something that I think the program is looking into as it reviews the applicant pool is diversity. Given your unique background, how can you contribute to the profession and to the program?

Oh, thought I'd mention the program curriculum for Twin Cities is hybrid.

It also helps to write a strong personal statement and I recommend another person reads over it to make sure your points and thesis are clear. Having strong LOR is important too.

In terms of the application process, i applied last year through OTCAS in August and I didn't hear back back till March of the next year. I do recommend you finish your application as early as possible so as to give yourself time for OTCAS verification and any sudden surprises in the application process.

Also, receive your observation hours from many different sites which will show not only do you have a strong interest in the profession but it will also help you think about what population you might be interested in working with as a future OT. Although, to be fair, i am not 100% sure what population I want to focus. Also when you observe ask questions and write down your experiences (which will help when you have to write your personal statement).

Finally, don't give up. Getting into an OT program is difficult these days and the application process is stressful. However, if you know you want to be an Occupational Therapist and you have the background to back it up, i think you have a good chance.