University of Mississippi Medical Center Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread

This is my first time applying actually, I'm still finishing up my degree. I guess I'm super lucky, not complaining though. How about you? Btw how is your stats looking?

Members don't see this ad.

First time? very nice! (but I'm not surprised, I just checked out your dat review) Everyone in my group had interviewed at least once before. This was my first interview, second time applying.

My overall GPA is low, from my first two years of college.. skewed priorities, etc.. but Im trending up strongly and my science gpa is decent. My DAT was ok, AA19/PAT25. I took it in 2011 so I am banking on getting in so I don't have to sit for it again because it expires next year.

From what I hear if you have a DAT like yours they can't say no to you. congrats again

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that interviewed already receive their rejection letter yet??

I'm going to write about my experience of applying to dental school and getting accepted. I hope my experience can answer a few questions for fellow and future applicants.
I first applied on Oct. 15th 2010 at the beginning of my senior year of undergrad, I had a very good GPA but a low DAT ( don't ask please ;) ). I didn't get interviewed, but I wasn't surprised because of how late I applied + my low DAT. In March 2011 I received a rejection letter. I went back in March of 2011 after I found out I wasn't accepted and spoke with Dr. Duncan per the invitation to do so on the rejection letter. He told me to retake the DAT and to consider doing a masters program. He recommended Mississippi College's medical sciences master's program. I retook the DAT on July 15, 2011 and improved my scores in all areas (nothing to brag about though). I got my next application submitted around Sept. 1, 2011 or so. (Still very late). However, I did get called in for an interview for Nov. 17th 2011. I was hopeful because I had an overall great feeling about how my interviews went. Nevertheless, I received the same rejection letter around March 2012. At this point I had a steady job. I unfortunately worked a lot and ended up letting the 2012 application cycle pass me by without an attempt to apply (looking back, I wish I would have). I worked through December 2012 and made plans and set up to begin the masters program at MC in January 2013. In the spring of 2013 I made an appointment with Dr. O'Reilly (the new dean of admissions and student affairs) to discuss my stats and things that would improve my chances of acceptance. She said my undergraduate GPA was great and that my DAT was fine and asked me why I was doing a master's. I was shocked and replied that Dr. Duncan had spoken highly of it. She said all masters programs are equal in her view, and that it didn't matter if it was from MC, USM, MSU, etc. She told me that I needed to focus on getting my application in early. I considered dropping the program after my first semester because of what she said about my grades and DAT. I decided to stay in and finish it out despite the high cost. So I'm still at MC (great program, BTW) I got my application submitted on July 1, 2013. I received a call 2 weeks later inviting me in for an interview on August 15th. The interview went well I felt. I got a call late at night on the 29th from Dr. O'Reilly to congratulate me on being accepted! I guess I got a little hopeful (as most people would) about the possibility of being able to drop the masters program after learning about my acceptance to dental school, so I asked Dr. O'Reilly if I could do that. She thought about it, then asked me if I had listed any courses on my application under future coursework. I said I had. So she told me that I needed to finish them. No biggy though. I'm just glad I got in!! And plus, I like how much I'm learning in these courses here.

Reactions: 2 users
This was actually my third year to interview.

I wish more UMC dental applicants used sdn.
Does anyone know if UMC has conducted any more interviews (other than the 15th and 22nd of august)? or if they have any scheduled?

One of my friends interviewed 2 or 3 week ago, not exactly sure. Also, another friend is scheduled for an interview early October.

I got accepted yesterday!! There is still hope and good luck to everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the interview process like. Hard questions or pretty laid back. What is the consensus.

I thought it was laid back. Most of the interviewers have been in our shoes and will tell you that. They will do what they can to make you comfortable. I didn't feel like any of the people I interviewed with were trying to shake me up or make me nervous. All were down to earth and easy to talk with. What does everyone else think?

Hello all,
I had a question about this school is it based mostly on research? Or clinical based?!

Does anyone know when they'll be calling again about acceptances?

Edit: Just re-read the thread and saw that there was an NDA on applicants. Removed my post so no one is tempted to break that. Thanks all for the advice and I cannot wait for my interview!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I also got an interview for next Thursday the 17th!!!! I am completely freaking out and in all honesty just honored to have this opportunity. Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. I hope we all get in!!!!!

Hello,

I received an invite yesterday from Dr O'Reilly to be a part of the 2018 graduating class (my mom thought it meant thats when I would start lol). My name is Clint and I interviewed in like mid September, not sure if I interviewed with any of you. Mostly, I just wanted to say good luck to everybody applying. To those that have been given a seat, what are your plans? I'm considering traveling.

So for those who are accepted.... Are any of you from out of state and moved to MS? How long have you lived there prior to acceptance? I'm at MC working on my masters at the moment and Just trying to get some input! Thanks!

Hello,

I received an invite yesterday from Dr O'Reilly to be a part of the 2018 graduating class (my mom thought it meant thats when I would start lol). My name is Clint and I interviewed in like mid September, not sure if I interviewed with any of you. Mostly, I just wanted to say good luck to everybody applying. To those that have been given a seat, what are your plans? I'm considering traveling.

Congrats Clint, we should start a Facebook page or something for the class of 2018. Anyway, I'm just going to be working, saving up some money, putting on some muscle, definitely taking a few vacations, and looking over biochem and gross anatomy. Most people tell me not to study for them prior to Dental school, but what harm could it do?
Congrats again and good luck.

So for those who are accepted.... Are any of you from out of state and moved to MS? How long have you lived there prior to acceptance? I'm at MC working on my masters at the moment and Just trying to get some input! Thanks!

Hi M, from my understanding, you must be a Mississippi resident in order to get accepted. No one from out of state has gotten in before. I guess your question should be how long it takes to gain Mississippian residency. That's an interesting question that I'd love to know. Let us know if you find out.
Good luck.

Yeah, you must be a resident. The best thing to do would be to get an MS driver's license. If you have family here, you might could use their address. The program at MC is at least a year long so that should be sufficient time to establish residency. Although I believe the minimum is 6 months.

Congrats Clint, we should start a Facebook page or something for the class of 2018. Anyway, I'm just going to be working, saving up some money, putting on some muscle, definitely taking a few vacations, and looking over biochem and gross anatomy. Most people tell me not to study for them prior to Dental school, but what harm could it do?
Congrats again and good luck.

Hey, I started a FB group called UMMC Dental School Class of 2018. Thanks for the idea! Congrats as well.

I started to establish residence Jan 13'... I'm curious to find out how long they require to get accepted. Legally, one must be a resident for one year prior to matriculation, which I would be if accepted this cycle..... However, they may not accept me (I figured it was a long shot, hoping to get in on the second try as I have strong family ties here). So, for those whom are accepted, is anyone not a native Mississippian? If so, how long did it take to become a "resident" in the eyes of UMMC?

Thanks everyone for their input. Congratulations to those who are accepted and good luck to everyone else!

I was accepted last week as well! I found the group on fb but couldn't see how to add myself?

The dental school at UMMC requires you to live in Ms for 1 year

I just got my acceptance call from Dr. O'Reilly at 8:35 tonight! Congratulations to everyone else who has gotten in, and good luck to those waiting to hear!

Has anyone who has been accepted been notified that they will receive a scholarship? I'm just curious when they tell those who will be getting some scholarship money.

There's scholarship available? Awesome. How do they determine who gets it? High DAT, GPA? Disadvantage?

There's scholarship available? Awesome. How do they determine who gets it? High DAT, GPA? Disadvantage?
I'm not sure how it works, but I've definitely heard of individuals receiving scholarships to UMC.

Aw! This was definitely me about a year ago. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! It's an exciting thing :). I don't really know any one here, but I'm currently a D1 at UMMC SOD...so if any one has questions about anything don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Aw! This was definitely me about a year ago. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! It's an exciting thing :). I don't really know any one here, but I'm currently a D1 at UMMC SOD...so if any one has questions about anything don't hesitate to ask.
Hi Keisha, thanks for taking your time to answer questions. Could you please find out about the scholarship thing that we mentioned above? How do they determine who gets it? Or does it even exist?
Thanks a bunch, and how are classes so far? Is it a lot worse than undergrad? Do you have a lot of free time?
Thanks again.

Hi!

But, I certainly don't mind going by Ms. Becky Smith's office and the financial aid office to find out more about scholarships that may be available for our new incoming class as well as when they will be available.
Our schedules have been pretty busy (mostly just because for a lot of days we are in class from 8 to 5).So, I just don't get as much free time as I used to.
The sciences like biochem, histology, and physiology aren't too bad for me. The only time I had a tough time was in a class called morph and occlusion. It was just a lot of information! But if I compare it to undergrad, the main differences are the amount of time I have to spend in lectures now versus then and how often we have exams (which for me is a lot more often than I did in undergrad)
On the bright side though, each D1 gets put into a group with a D2, D3, and D4. The D2s usually pass down some really good notes, old exams, etc.
Sorry for such a long post :) I hope to get back on here soon with more specific details about scholarships! ..and to answer any other questions.

So has anyone from the November 14th interview group gotten accepted? Just curious!

I talked to Mrs. Becky Smith a few weeks ago and she said that all applicants will know where they stand (accepted, rejected, or wait list) by the first week of December. Good luck to everybody!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got accepted last week! Congrats to all who got accepted and good luck everyone :)

Hi Keisha King, I know your post is last year, but can you still answer my question?
I am very concern about my 15 on DAT biology section.
Here is my stat:
oGPA: 3.78
scienceGPA: 3.82
DAT: 19 AA, 18 TS, 18 PAT (20 QR, 17 RC, 15 BIO, 19 GEN CHEM, 24 O-CHEM)
Shadowing: 4 different dentists - 100 hours
Leadership: 4 positions
Research: 257 hours
Volunteering: 5 organizations - 865 hours

Do you think I have a good chance of acceptance without retake the DAT?
Thank you so much!

For those who got accepted into UMMC, could you guys please post ur stats such as GPA and DAT (any section below a 17)?
It would definitely do us prospective dental student a favor! THANK YOU!

Hi Keisha King, I know your post is last year, but can you still answer my question?
I am very concern about my 15 on DAT biology section.
Here is my stat:
oGPA: 3.78
scienceGPA: 3.82
DAT: 19 AA, 18 TS, 18 PAT (20 QR, 17 RC, 15 BIO, 19 GEN CHEM, 24 O-CHEM)
Shadowing: 4 different dentists - 100 hours
Leadership: 4 positions
Research: 257 hours
Volunteering: 5 organizations - 865 hours

Do you think I have a good chance of acceptance without retake the DAT?
Thank you so much!

Hey!
I personally think your chances of acceptance to UMMC SOD are good! Here's why. Your DAT scores are better than mine were in a few categories. My DAT Stats upon acceptance were: PAT : 18, Quantitative Reasoning: 16, Reading Comprehension: 23 , Biology:18 , General chemistry: 15, Organic Chem: 19, Total Science: 17, Academic Average:18
Oh and my college stats: science GPA: 3.64, overall GPA: 3.52

In addition to that, your science GPA is great!! ...as well as your overall GPA! Then you're also shadowing which is really good for you. When they interviewed me they asked if I shadowed any dentists. Also, I would say your research experience is a plus, along with your leadership positions and volunteering!
So with all of this being said, I personally feel that you have a really good chance of getting selected for an interview; and if you do well in interview, a good chance being accepted. As I have been told by our dean of admissions and upperclassmen, they take everything into consideration (GPA, DAT, leadership, shadowing, etc). So I wouldn't stress about your current DAT scores. But that's just my opinion. Plus, if you were looking to submit your application at the earliest date, Monday June 2nd, then there's really no time to retest. However, if you weren't and you just absolutely wanted to retake the DAT to improve in any section then there would still be time as the application runs from June 2 to October 31. Sorry for my really long response. I hope this helps :)! Best of luck to you!!!

Hey!
I personally think your chances of acceptance to UMMC SOD are good! Here's why. Your DAT scores are better than mine were in a few categories. My DAT Stats upon acceptance were: PAT : 18, Quantitative Reasoning: 16, Reading Comprehension: 23 , Biology:18 , General chemistry: 15, Organic Chem: 19, Total Science: 17, Academic Average:18
Oh and my college stats: science GPA: 3.64, overall GPA: 3.52

In addition to that, your science GPA is great!! ...as well as your overall GPA! Then you're also shadowing which is really good for you. When they interviewed me they asked if I shadowed any dentists. Also, I would say your research experience is a plus, along with your leadership positions and volunteering!
So with all of this being said, I personally feel that you have a really good chance of getting selected for an interview; and if you do well in interview, a good chance being accepted. As I have been told by our dean of admissions and upperclassmen, they take everything into consideration (GPA, DAT, leadership, shadowing, etc). So I wouldn't stress about your current DAT scores. But that's just my opinion. Plus, if you were looking to submit your application at the earliest date, Monday June 2nd, then there's really no time to retest. However, if you weren't and you just absolutely wanted to retake the DAT to improve in any section then there would still be time as the application runs from June 2 to October 31. Sorry for my really long response. I hope this helps :)! Best of luck to you!!!
Thank you so much!
Your answer is very informative! I really am appreciate your respond. :)

Hey guys,
Do y'all have any tip and advice to prepare the interview?
Thank you!

If you don't do well on one interview, just forget about it and move on to the next one. I kinda messed up 2 of them but got in anyway. The interview is not everything. Your stats are more important in my opinion. Some interviewers asked very easy questions, but some quite hard. DO expect some tough questions if you have Dr. Gilbert or Dr. Taylor. Best of luck !!!

If you don't do well on one interview, just forget about it and move on to the next one. I kinda messed up 2 of them but got in anyway. The interview is not everything. Your stats are more important in my opinion. Some interviewers asked very easy questions, but some quite hard. DO expect some tough questions if you have Dr. Gilbert or Dr. Taylor. Best of luck !!!
Thank you so much!!!

So has anyone received interview dates? If so for when and how did they contact you? Good luck everyone!!!

So has anyone received interview dates? If so for when and how did they contact you? Good luck everyone!!!

Check here, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-of-2019-interview-acceptance-thread.1074954/

14 people have interviews for July 24 (7 at 8am and 7 at 10am). Last year they had interviews on consecutive Thursdays and the next Thursday was used to review the applicants they interviewed. However, it wasn't known how many weeks were between the "rounds" of interviews. Hope this helps.