University of Rochester Interview Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After recieving an interview from the University of Rochester you must answer two essay questions. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what one of the questions is asking

"What interests do you hope to continue or develop as you pursue your medical education at Rochester?"

I would think this is something along the lines of, what do you want to do with your MD (ie what specialty do you want to go into) but the next question specifically asks "Currently, knowing you may change your mind, what medical career pathway (academic, private practice, specialty area) are you considering, and what factors have contributed to your choice?"

I can write the second essay but am having trouble with what they are asking in the first essay.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume they're looking for something about continuing research if you've done research in the past, or working in a clinic if volunteering was a big activity for you, but I might be wrong.

i would guess interests that are outside of academics...i'd talk about continuing work with habitat for humanity or something like that

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess would be research/volunteering while in medical school

Lol, all these responses assume there IS a correct response! >) What interests you? Personally, I've always been very involved with computer technology...working with, building, keeping up with the latest technology in, screwing up, and fixing computers has always been my number one hobby...thus one of the things I'd talk about in a question like that is that I hope to be able to have the time to continue this hobby even with the physical/mental/time demands of medical school and medical practice. I would defiantly talk about research if that truly is one of your personal interests, but if it’s just a professional goal then I wouldn’t include it in “What interests do you…..” Also, I would include volunteering…but I would want to develop from delivering ice and fetching supplies to maybe serving aboard in a developing country providing free medical services as a doctor. That fits the question perfectly, and it truly is an interest of mine.

yeah, the 1st question is getting at your interests outside of medicine. Rochester is very interested in developing clinicians with well-rounded interests, in the hopes that the students will continue to pursue these interests during and after medical school.

Good luck on your interview!

Hey for Rochesters....

How long did it take to get an interview after submitting the secondary?

Thanks muchas!

PG