University of Rochester MD class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkb06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thought I would start up a thread for students matriculating this August at Rochester.

I'm very excited to start school and would love to meet some other people who have chosen U of R.

Ps i'm also a Rochester native if anyone has questions about the area.

Look forward to talking to you all!

Melanie

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. Thought I would start up a thread for students matriculating this August at Rochester.

I'm very excited to start school and would love to meet some other people who have chosen U of R.

Ps i'm also a Rochester native if anyone has questions about the area.

Look forward to talking to you all!

Melanie

What are the best things about living in Rochester?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really great restaurants of all varieties, lots of sporting activities and events, music, theater, bars, 4 distinct seasons, cheap and nice housing, great parks, friendly people, big enough city where you won't get bored but small enough so you don't feel swallowed whole, good festivals in the spring and summer, close to Buffalo, Syracuse, and the finger lakes for a get away.

Really great restaurants of all varieties, lots of sporting activities and events, music, theater, bars, 4 distinct seasons, cheap and nice housing, great parks, friendly people, big enough city where you won't get bored but small enough so you don't feel swallowed whole, good festivals in the spring and summer, close to Buffalo, Syracuse, and the finger lakes for a get away.

Nice, thanks! :)

Woot Woot! Roch class of 2016 :) Also a Rochester native.

I'm thinking of living in the white coat ghetto? Where are others thinking of?

Hey! Me too, I'm thinking white coat ghetto. So close, nice houses, and cheap.

Hi everybody. Congrats on the acceptances! I'm a current third year and would be happy to answer any questions, etc, that people have.

Rochester is a great place and I've really enjoyed my time here both in school and out.:thumbup:

Hi everybody. Congrats on the acceptances! I'm a current third year and would be happy to answer any questions, etc, that people have.

Rochester is a great place and I've really enjoyed my time here both in school and out.:thumbup:

Thanks for the congratulations and for being willing to answer questions! If think of some, I'll be sure to ask :)

Yep, thinking of the white coat ghetto, too.

Class of 2016 as well here, from Washington DC. How bas is the weather up there really? My friends in Ithaca at Cornell during college always had a ton of complaints, but I figure we won't be outside that much anyway haha.

Class of 2016 as well here, from Washington DC. How bas is the weather up there really? My friends in Ithaca at Cornell during college always had a ton of complaints, but I figure we won't be outside that much anyway haha.

I'm from Rochester (and coincidentally went to school in Ithaca). You will have 4 distinct seasons. It will definitely be snowy and cold in the winter, but spring is generally nice starting around april, the summers are warm/ hot, and the fall is cooler and the trees are beautiful.

If you aren't from here it might be an adjustment, but I think it is a great place to be, especially if you like variety.

Hello! I too am interested in off campus housing and have been browsing through some of the offerings on the school's listings here

http://www.rochester.edu/reslife/offcampus/#

the website is kinda glitchy and I am thinking very few actually advertise on the site. From what I can tell most houses have a couple bedrooms that go for around $500 which I think is pretty good, a lot cheaper than the offerings at the Goler house. Also I would hate to be living alone and would much rather share a place with some other first years.

Also to the current student, what is the best way to search for housing? Craigslist? Can we walk around at second look? Any advice?

Thanks

(also my apologies if this was posted in a weird spot or anything, this is my first time using a forum)