University of South Florida Application Thread (2011-2012 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received the acceptance phone call on Thursday! I will definitely be attending this fall! Go BULLS!

Yep, I plan on attending in the fall! Go Bulls!

Good stuff guys! Perhaps I will meet you both in the fall!

Class of 2016 where you at?? I'm sure there are more of you out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Today is friday. Has anybody on waiting list heard from them ?

Has anybody from alternate list heard from them yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody have any news on that alternate list?

I was put on the alternate list for almost a month now and have not heard anything about my ranking. The only other email I got was from Jackie about USF COP is working on the ranking but that was more than 2 weeks ago.
Should I call or email Jackie for my ranking?

I am in the exact same position.
I did email them couple times , but they keep saying "we are hoping to get an email out soon"

I was put on the alternate list for almost a month now and have not heard anything about my ranking. The only other email I got was from Jackie about USF COP is working on the ranking but that was more than 2 weeks ago.
Should I call or email Jackie for my ranking?

I am in the exact same position.
I did email them couple times , but they keep saying "we are hoping to get an email out soon"

Did they say why it's taking them this long?

They are not saying a word.
I interviewed on February 29th.
First they said the results will be out by March 15th.
Then they changed it to March 30th.
I checked their website and they had added another interview day on March 16th.
Once I was placed on alternate list, the email said that I would be contacted every friday and receive updates on my ranking on the list.
3 weeks passed and I did not get any updates.
I emailed them on April 17th asking about that alternate list and Mrs, Grosser replied "you should hear by the end of this week".
A week has passed and I am still waiting to hear.
I wonder if something is going wrong :confused:
I have been posting on this thread many times asking people to share informations they might have but unfortunately nobody is cooperating.
Did they say why it's taking them this long?

It's bc we don't have the information your looking for. Maybe the class is full. I know it's an annoying process having to wait but you just have to be patient.

It's bc we don't have the information your looking for. Maybe the class is full. I know it's an annoying process having to wait but you just have to be patient.

Since you got accepted so you did not receive the email from Jackie saying something like this: people from the alternate list will get their ranking and she will email the alternate list every Friday for the status update.
I am one of the people on that alternate list that put my time, efforts, and money to come to the interview so expect something from them afterward.

People decline their acceptence offers (even from best schools around the nation)simply because they get offers from multiple schools.
How would you say this class filled up right away and nobody declined their offer?
In my interview day,Mrs Grosser mentioned last year they fitted all people from alternate list into the class eventually.
They were planning to have 50 students in that class but ended up with 53.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly.
I mean why would they talk about contacting us EVERY FRIDAY on the first place and then totally ignor everything they said ?:confused:

Since you got accepted so you did not receive the email from Jackie saying something like this: people from the alternate list will get their ranking and she will email the alternate list every Friday for the status update.
I am one of the people on that alternate list that put my time, efforts, and money to come to the interview so expect something from them afterward.

Does anybody know how many people has been placed in the alternated list ??

For some reason, I emailed them to withdraw and didn't even come in for an interview. But I got on their alternative list #25. Confused?!?

For some reason, I emailed them to withdraw and didn't even come in for an interview. But I got on their alternative list #25. Confused?!?

you gotta be kidding. I wonder if anybody actually came to the interview and ranked higher than you.

I went to their interview from California.
Did very well.
Already been accepted to another school.
But ranked # 52 here.
Only because florida residents are their priority.
Then they ask about DISCRIMINATIN in their interview .:eek::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:
you gotta be kidding. I wonder if anybody actually came to the interview and ranked higher than you.

Did very well.
But ranked # 52 here.
Then they ask about DISCRIMINATIN in their interview .:eek::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

If this is true then it's very unprofessional of them. But there is no confirmation to bj022004's claim. I also going to the more reputable school.

I was really confused about the email also and found it a big turn off that I received that email. I was disturbed because I was SO close to booking my $1000 trip to Florida to do my interview. So even after not doing the interview, how could I land on their alternative list?

I was really confused about the email also and found it a big turn off that I received that email. I was disturbed because I was SO close to booking my $1000 trip to Florida to do my interview. So even after not doing the interview, how could I land on their alternative list?

So what is the status of your alternate? Did they contact or offer you a seat? I would like to have some concrete confirmation that I can talk with them about.

I'm still in the same position I'm guessing since I haven't received an email from them since. However, it doesn't matter if they offer me a position or not because I will reject. I got accepted to a different school already.

I'm still in the same position I'm guessing since I haven't received an email from them since. However, it doesn't matter if they offer me a position or not because I will reject. I got accepted to a different school already.

I just want proof that you got put on the alternate list even though you did not go to the interview. Because I had to pay close to $700 for the trip and got put on the list too. I dont know if this has to do with Mrs. Rodriguez-Snapp went of maternity leave or not. But I want to get to the bottom of this when I have all the proofs.

Let me tell you one more interesting story,
I also received two letters confirming my interview date on two different days.
I just thought they made a little mistake and called them and had them fix it.
I never knew they would make even worse mistakes later on.
I did spend about $600 on this school just to get to the bottom of their alternate list.
I am going to back you up if you need it.
I just want proof that you got put on the alternate list even though you did not go to the interview. Because I had to pay close to $700 for the trip and got put on the list too. I dont know if this has to do with Mrs. Rodriguez-Snapp went of maternity leave or not. But I want to get to the bottom of this when I have all the proofs.

What proof can I prove you? There's no way I can prove that I didn't spend money to go to the interview. Even if I sent you the email they sent me with my alternative position, it doesn't say much....

What proof can I prove you? There's no way I can prove that I didn't spend money to go to the interview. Even if I sent you the email they sent me with my alternative position, it doesn't say much....

When you declined your interview, did you email or call them? If you emailed them, that email and the email of your alternate list would be more than enough.

Waaaay back when I was going through the process, I got an interview at a place I had not filled out the supplimental application (I was accepted at my first choice before I got around to it). I was pretty stunned - I thought it was pretty crappy of them to offer an interview to a person who had not even gone through the whole process. Being put on the alternate list is even worse. :thumbdown:

I did email them to withdraw my application. They even emailed back and asked me what school I got into.

I know what they're doing is wrong but I really don't want to be the one ratting them out. I don't feel comfortable enough providing you the email/proof. Sorry.

You should look into a different school if it still doesn't make you satisfied/comfortable.

I did email them to withdraw my application. They even emailed back and asked me what school I got into.

I know what they're doing is wrong but I really don't want to be the one ratting them out. I don't feel comfortable enough providing you the email/proof. Sorry.

You should look into a different school if it still doesn't make you satisfied/comfortable.

I already got my seat with a accelerated program. But think of the big picture. with those proofs I can firmly show them what they did wrong and improve it for future students.
Look at moj101 situation, he/she spent money, time, effort, the whole process. And got put on the alternate list with ranking lower than a person did not gone through the whole process. Put yourself in moj101's situation. This is not ratting. it's just making things right.
Let just say this is similar to some moral dilema questions pharmacy school ask their candidates during interviews. So let see what is your response.

I just received an email from USF saying they have called up to #34 from waitlist.
You must have been accepted as well.
Luckyyyyyyyy you.:p

guess they realized the mistake they made before accepting me or looked at my withdrawal email again because I didn't get another email.

congrats to everyone who got in!

Or may be they are just calling their friends and family for acceptence without looking at any lists.:sleep:
guess they realized the mistake they made before accepting me or looked at my withdrawal email again because I didn't get another email.

It would be better if they realized it on their own rather than reading this thread or was informed.
Hopefully this will not happen again, eh?

It would be awsome if they actually read this thread :D
It would be better if they realized it on their own rather than reading this thread or was informed.
Hopefully this will not happen again, eh?

It is important for us to communicate with applicants as soon as we have a change in status. This year, we unexpectedly had a delay in the ability to rank our alternates. Admissions is not an exact science. Interview dates are added and/or dropped based on how the class is filling up. It is not possible to communicate status on the alternate list until all applicants have been interviewed and acceptance
decisions have been made. Then, alternates are ranked (which takes time, based on availability of individuals) and we can communicate the ranking with applicants. We recognize that it is difficult to wait, especially after waiting longer than you were told and next year, we will change how we inform applicants of their status on the alternate-list so that we are able to deliver with the timeframes initially communicated. We will ensure that applicants understand that we will communicate weekly “once alternates have been ranked”. We apologize for not being able to communicate rankings sooner.

Moj101 – Hello Mojdeh :
“Originally Posted by megabucks10 - Maybe the class is full”.

Moj101 – “People decline their acceptence offers (even from best schools around the nation) simply because they get offers from multiple schools. How would you say this class filled up right away and nobody declined their offer?”
Applicants often “double-deposit” holding seats at two schools. This DOES fill up the class prematurely, and we have to wait for applicants to withdraw before accepting the next alternate on the list.
Moj101 – “I mean why would they talk about contacting us EVERY FRIDAY on the first place and then totally ignor everything they said”
As stated previously, once the alternates were ranked, we did communicate status updates every Friday. It is the ranking that takes time, and not many schools offer this courtesy to applicants.
Moj101 – “I went to their interview from California. Did very well. Already been accepted to another school. But ranked # 52 here. Only because Florida residents are their priority. Then they ask about DISCRIMINATIN in their interview”
Actually, the admissions committee gives absolutely no consideration to Florida residents over out-of-state residents in the file review process. If you contact us to professionally ask these questions rather than posting inaccurate information, we would be happy to answer them. We end up with a high number of in-state students because out-of-state tuition is much higher and out-of-state applicants typically end up going to an institution in their state of their own choosing, not ours. We accept the most qualified well-rounded applicants in a given candidate pool…period.

You were ranked #52 on the alternate list because of concerns with your interview among other concerns. As indicated during the presentation on interview day, if not accepted, we would be happy to provide you with feedback to help you with personal growth. Just give us a call.

We have one of the most diverse student populations among pharmacy schools in the country. This is something of which we are very proud, therefore, during our interview we ask a question to assess your understanding of diversity because it is important that our students have a sense of cultural competency, as this will be important as future pharmacists.

We did get to your number on the alternate list and would have offered admission. However, as you are aware, our advertised requirements were not met in order for us to offer matriculation.
Bj022004 – Hello Jennifer:
Bj022004 – “For some reason, I emailed them to withdraw and didn't even come in for an interview. But I got on their alternative list #25. Confused?!?”
It is not our policy to accept students or put them on an alternate list without an interview – as a matter of fact, it is strictly prohibited. Additionally, admissions interviews are required for every applicant to pharmacy school as mandated by ACPE accreditation standards. Therefore, you can imagine our concern when we read this. We really wish you would have utilized direct professional communication to bring your concern forward back in May. We can only resolve concerns if we are aware. While we attempt to implement policies and procedures to eliminate mistakes, occasionally, they do occur. We do not read these forums regularly. However, after reading the forum today, we were able to do a bit of investigating. It turns out that there are two applicants with your exact name that applied to our college this year. The letter you received was intended for another applicant. This was a simple yet significant oversight and we are sorry. Now that we are aware, we are able to put policies into place that will help to avoid this occurence in the future. We never realized until today that this mistake was made. We are grateful to have read this forum, otherwise we would have never known.
EliteRX
I hope this added information helps to clarify. Of course, we would be happy to speak with you directly to address any concerns that remain.

Did very well.
But ranked # 52 here.

Please see response in the thread

I already got my seat with a accelerated program. But think of the big picture. with those proofs I can firmly show them what they did wrong and improve it for future students.
Look at moj101 situation, he/she spent money, time, effort, the whole process. And got put on the alternate list with ranking lower than a person did not gone through the whole process. Put yourself in moj101's situation. This is not ratting. it's just making things right.
Let just say this is similar to some moral dilema questions pharmacy school ask their candidates during interviews. So let see what is your response.

Please see response in the thread

Thank you for the clarification,
yet I have received another email today, 5 months after being interviewd, saying that I do not qualify for an interview this year.:eek:

August 3, 2012

Dear Mojdeh
Thank you for your application and interest in the Doctor of Pharmacy program at the University of South Florida, College of Pharmacy.

Upon review of your academic record and/or application portfolio by our School's Admissions Committee it was determined that you would not be offered an interview this year. You either did not meet one or more of our minimum requirements established for admission or there was a lack of evidence in your portfolio to predict successful completion of the program.

The admissions committee likes to see a strong recent history of academic success with full academic semesters of science courses. If you are interested in receiving advising to best position your application for next year, please contact Ms. Jackie Grosser at [email protected].

Thank you again for your interest in the College of Pharmacy at the University of South Florida.

Sincerely,
download

Heather Petrelli, MA
Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Assessment

It is important for us to communicate with applicants as soon as we have a change in status. This year, we unexpectedly had a delay in the ability to rank our alternates. Admissions is not an exact science. Interview dates are added and/or dropped based on how the class is filling up. It is not possible to communicate status on the alternate list until all applicants have been interviewed and acceptance
decisions have been made. Then, alternates are ranked (which takes time, based on availability of individuals) and we can communicate the ranking with applicants. We recognize that it is difficult to wait, especially after waiting longer than you were told and next year, we will change how we inform applicants of their status on the alternate-list so that we are able to deliver with the timeframes initially communicated. We will ensure that applicants understand that we will communicate weekly "once alternates have been ranked". We apologize for not being able to communicate rankings sooner.

Moj101 – Hello Mojdeh :
"Originally Posted by megabucks10 - Maybe the class is full".

Moj101 – "People decline their acceptence offers (even from best schools around the nation) simply because they get offers from multiple schools. How would you say this class filled up right away and nobody declined their offer?"
Applicants often "double-deposit" holding seats at two schools. This DOES fill up the class prematurely, and we have to wait for applicants to withdraw before accepting the next alternate on the list.
Moj101 – "I mean why would they talk about contacting us EVERY FRIDAY on the first place and then totally ignor everything they said"
As stated previously, once the alternates were ranked, we did communicate status updates every Friday. It is the ranking that takes time, and not many schools offer this courtesy to applicants.
Moj101 – "I went to their interview from California. Did very well. Already been accepted to another school. But ranked # 52 here. Only because Florida residents are their priority. Then they ask about DISCRIMINATIN in their interview"
Actually, the admissions committee gives absolutely no consideration to Florida residents over out-of-state residents in the file review process. If you contact us to professionally ask these questions rather than posting inaccurate information, we would be happy to answer them. We end up with a high number of in-state students because out-of-state tuition is much higher and out-of-state applicants typically end up going to an institution in their state of their own choosing, not ours. We accept the most qualified well-rounded applicants in a given candidate pool…period.

You were ranked #52 on the alternate list because of concerns with your interview among other concerns. As indicated during the presentation on interview day, if not accepted, we would be happy to provide you with feedback to help you with personal growth. Just give us a call.

We have one of the most diverse student populations among pharmacy schools in the country. This is something of which we are very proud, therefore, during our interview we ask a question to assess your understanding of diversity because it is important that our students have a sense of cultural competency, as this will be important as future pharmacists.

We did get to your number on the alternate list and would have offered admission. However, as you are aware, our advertised requirements were not met in order for us to offer matriculation.
Bj022004 – Hello Jennifer:
Bj022004 – "For some reason, I emailed them to withdraw and didn't even come in for an interview. But I got on their alternative list #25. Confused?!?"
It is not our policy to accept students or put them on an alternate list without an interview – as a matter of fact, it is strictly prohibited. Additionally, admissions interviews are required for every applicant to pharmacy school as mandated by ACPE accreditation standards. Therefore, you can imagine our concern when we read this. We really wish you would have utilized direct professional communication to bring your concern forward back in May. We can only resolve concerns if we are aware. While we attempt to implement policies and procedures to eliminate mistakes, occasionally, they do occur. We do not read these forums regularly. However, after reading the forum today, we were able to do a bit of investigating. It turns out that there are two applicants with your exact name that applied to our college this year. The letter you received was intended for another applicant. This was a simple yet significant oversight and we are sorry. Now that we are aware, we are able to put policies into place that will help to avoid this occurence in the future. We never realized until today that this mistake was made. We are grateful to have read this forum, otherwise we would have never known.
EliteRX
I hope this added information helps to clarify. Of course, we would be happy to speak with you directly to address any concerns that remain.