University of South Florida One year masters medical science 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncarolinagirl89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will anyone be attending USF's one year masters in medical science program for fall 2013? If so, what were your stats? I'm in the process of applying and would like to see where I stand.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how full the class is so far? I'm afraid I'm too late :(

Members don't see this ad :)
heard this class is 250 students! you all should be ok to still apply

I actually just finished sending in my application.

Accepted, I'm wondering if anyone reading this has? How are you going about finding housing? The FB page is not up yet and I am getting antsy as I haven't heard anything since my acceptance.

I should hear back this Friday. when did you get accepted and when did you apply? As far as housing, im looking at off campus student housing that's furnished. I thinking on the Province (if I get accepted). I haven't heard of many ppl who have gotten accepted for this fall.

i'm not sure about a group but https://www.facebook.com/UsfComMsInMedicalSciencesPhdPrograms2013

Is a page that people accepted into the program have been looking into.

I just graduated from USF this spring, there is a ton of housing options around campus just depends on your price range. Most of its furnished a couple places aren't.

Province is good its south side of campus, anything on 42nd street, by the golf course, or 50th street is good. Try not to find a place west of Bruce b downs except fro maybe campus lodge but that's only if you have a car. Tampa palms area is nice just a little bit of a drive ( a lot better since they finished the construction though). Good luck and congrats to everyone accepted

Anybody hear any reviews of the program for the 2012-2013 class? I've seen what people have had to say for the year before and before that, but nothing about this year and the alleged "changes" they've made.

Also, anyone have any numbers regarding acceptances after finishing the program?

Hey Asm0309, would you happen to know if Providence is pet friendly? The website doesn't mention it, so I'm assuming no...but hoping they just didnt list it since it looks like a great place :xf:

Asm0309, what are some apartments that are in the $500-800 range that is furnished and utilities included in rent such as cable and internet?

I just emailed admissions today for a status update and the admissions officer said that my secondary app is complete and they'll be reviewing apps in the next weeks and notify applicants. She said they review on a rolling basis. I'm just a little worried because if admissions has time to mark my app complete, and since they are on a rolling basis, wouldn't they know by now if I am accepted or not? Should I be worried?

Does anyone know why the deadline has been extended to July 1?

Ogmora, reading other forums, I'm not sure the numbers regarding acceptances after finishing the program, but from what I read, it seems better to do a glide year after the program so med school admissions can see the MS grade on the transcript. There was one forum where not many ppl got accepted to medical school. But I think that was b/c those students applied during the MS program hoping not to do a glide year, so med school admissions weren't able to see their MS grades.

does this program have high linkage? and next year matriculation?

No linkage, and with 200+ people in the program only a small percentage get in the USF COM.

Still trying to find better stats regarding matriculation in general.

Members don't see this ad :)

IMS has a better linkage to USF-COM (90%) than this one. From what I hear, most students end up going to DO schools. That's why I decided not to go there. With a class of ~250 people, it's difficult to get into USF-COM and very few from the program get an interview.

From what I hear, most students end up going to DO schools.

Where did you hear that? I imagine most will go DO because of lower MCAT scores (hence why they took the post-bacc, hoping to counter balance with MS degree.) But with a decent MCAT and a high gGPA, why wouldn't just as many go MD? I'm guessing it's because many don't succeed in the program?

What program did/are you going to?

Last edited:
Asm0309, what are some apartments that are in the $500-800 range that is furnished and utilities included in rent such as cable and internet?

Most of the standard apartments around should fall under this range and still be furnished. Province, Avalon heights, Montechello, On 50. These are just a few there are plenty more, if you have a chance to visit go down 42nd street, thats where most the off campus under grads live. 50th street has several complexes at decent prices, Province is probably as far south from the campus as you would want to go.

When looking around campus closer is better. 42nd street offers a loop thats on a bull runner ( school bus loop) follow that loop and your good, 50th street or a little further east is fine. Try to avoid anything past Busch ave, in the south direction and keep east of Bruce B Downs.

The only two areas that are outside the direct vicinity of the campus that i would recommend are either Campus Lodge, or the Tampa Bay Palms area ( this one has a bit longer of a drive but if you can find a deal its great.)

Sorry if thats too much info, the neighborhood has packets of areas you don't want to find yourself in. If you get stuck call the Marshall Student Center 813-974-3180 they can usually rattle off a few more places as well.

Hey Asm0309, would you happen to know if Providence is pet friendly? The website doesn't mention it, so I'm assuming no...but hoping they just didnt list it since it looks like a great place

If your looking for unfurnished Cambridge woods allows pets, Campus Lodge is furnished and is pet friendly, Oak Ramble, and i think Eagles Point are also pet friendly or they used to be.

Asm0309, Thanks for your help! Do you recommend working while doing the program? If so, how many hours would you recommend?

I applied May 31. It's now June 16. Does anyone know the timeline of hearing back from admissions about acceptances? I'm really worried since they extended the deadline to July 1. I'm worried the reason they extended it was b/c there wasn't enough competitive applicants initially so they are extending it to give more ppl the chance to apply. but then again, I could be wrong and just overreacting. Anyone have any input?

Asm0309, Thanks for your help! Do you recommend working while doing the program? If so, how many hours would you recommend?

I applied May 31. It's now June 16. Does anyone know the timeline of hearing back from admissions about acceptances? I'm really worried since they extended the deadline to July 1. I'm worried the reason they extended it was b/c there wasn't enough competitive applicants initially so they are extending it to give more ppl the chance to apply. but then again, I could be wrong and just overreacting. Anyone have any input?

I sent my application in on the 30th of May and received an acceptance within 5 days.
I was informed that the class is little over half full. Good luck!

Do you recommend working while doing the program?

... I'm worried the reason they extended it was b/c there wasn't enough competitive applicants initially so they are extending it to give more ppl the chance to apply. but then again, I could be wrong and just overreacting. Anyone have any input?

I sent mine in early April and didn't hear back until late May. Don't stress yourself out too much, from what I hear there are plenty of spots in the program and they don't all get filled up.

I think they extended it to allow for people to finish their spring semester and decide what they were going to do for the next school year. A lot of the schools up north finish classes into June whereas schools in FL can finish in early May. Don't know for sure if thats why, but it's another theory to add to the list.

I plan on working part-time, hopefully something clinical/healthcare, but with 12-15 credits, 4 days a week, I think I can afford a few hours here and there...maybe up to 20ish.

This is what their email said about working

All classes are held in the Morsani College of Medicine Auditorium. Classes are Monday-Thursday from 2-5pm and Friday’s are optional Question and Answer/Recitation from 2-5pm. Although classes are only for 3 hours a day, please be prepared to make graduate school a full-time commitment. Many of our current students are still involved with health care related extracurricular activities (shadowing, volunteering, community service, etc) but it is NOT recommended that students work while in the program. The graduate program is equivalent in level of difficulty to a first-year medical school curriculum. Our average graduate student spends around 50 hours a week between studying and attending class. All classes are video recorded.

So i would say its doable to work and manage everything else just depends on your study habits and where you find a job.

Same here. I heard by email within about a week of sending my app in.

Where did you hear that? I imagine most will go DO because of lower MCAT scores (hence why they took the post-bacc, hoping to counter balance with MS degree.) But with a decent MCAT and a high gGPA, why wouldn't just as many go MD? I'm guessing it's because many don't succeed in the program?

What program did/are you going to?

From reading past posts. I meant though in relation to USF-COM, not other schools. However if you get a near 4.0 and a decent MCAT, I'm sure you'll nab a few interviews, though the program itself is quite competitive.

I am attending Barry's, but I have my own reasons.

From reading past posts. I meant though in relation to USF-COM, not other schools. However if you get a near 4.0 and a decent MCAT, I'm sure you'll nab a few interviews, though the program itself is quite competitive.

I am attending Barry's, but I have my own reasons.

ahh ok. I know with 200+ people it can't be compared to those with 15-20, but if you can excel in it, I don't see why it wouldn't make you a much more competitive applicant.

Barry's program looks really good and from what I've see it has a great reputation with medical schools. Good luck!

Does anyone know the stats of people who have been accepted? I'm just looking to see where I stand. I have a gpa right below 3.0 and my gre was exactly one point below their minimum. hopefully they won't reject me for being exactly one point below. I have good ECs. CNA for 5 year, volunteer experiences throughout south America, and teaching assistant in college. Does anyone think I have a chance? I have heard of ppl getting accepted with lower than 3.0 gpas, according to other forums.

I emailed admissions to get a status update and they responded that my app is completed and let me know in a few weeks. I guess I'm not totally rejected. I'm just anxious to get a response since others have heard back within a week of sending their app.

I guess I'll stop stressing then lol!

alsooo.......I really really want to attend USF.....would it be a good idea to send a letter of interest before getting an email of whether i'm rejected or accepted. According to past forums, they say its a good idea. To those who have been in the program, what do you think?

ncarolinagirl89, I'm in the same position as you. I applied around the same time as you and haven't heard back yet, but that is most likely due to my MCAT scores which haven't been released yet. Just two more days! Then I'll be sending them in ASAP.

what are competitive stats to get into this program and is it too late? Someone on top said class is only half full.

alsooo.......I really really want to attend USF.....would it be a good idea to send a letter of interest before getting an email of whether i'm rejected or accepted. According to past forums, they say its a good idea. To those who have been in the program, what do you think?

I was thinking about doing the same thing. But, I wouldn't even know where to start.

I I am think we, the people who haven't heard back, are in the same boat. I sent my primary application in April and my secondary app wasn't done until early may. So don't lose faith let's cross fingers until we find out. Although, it kinda stresses me out but I am trying to keep my head cool. :)

I I am think we, the people who haven't heard back, are in the same boat. I sent my primary application in April and my secondary app wasn't done until early may. So don't lose faith let's cross fingers until we find out. Although, it kinda stresses me out but I am trying to keep my head cool. :)

I'm about to decline my acceptance so hopefully you will get it :) The key is to constantly bombard them with emails and calls and talk to Emily Barton (she's an admissions officer).

Thank you Technorino, I think ncarolinagirl, jolie fleur and I may have a chance to get in :) we can still keep our fingers crossed! :)

Thank you Technorino, I think ncarolinagirl, jolie fleur and I may have a chance to get in :) we can still keep our fingers crossed! :)

Definitely. Their class was not even half way full when I was accepted first week of June. Good luck! Go noles!

Definitely. Their class was not even half way full when I was accepted first week of June.
JolieFleur and ncarolinagirl89 there is still hope to get into the USF program! Technorino...GO GATORS! :laugh:

I just turned my application in yesterday. Right now there are still about 40-50 open seats.

How do you know about this?:eek:

Nobody told me that. This is based off my own guess.

That may be on the high end. But the classes this fall have between 45-65 open seats as of right now. So realistically, its probably less than that but they are definitely still accepting people.

EMAIL: Emily Barton to find out how many spots are available. Simple.

I'm about to decline my acceptance so hopefully you will get it :) The key is to constantly bombard them with emails and calls and talk to Emily Barton (she's an admissions officer).

Technorino, when you say to constantly bombard them with emails/calls, what would you suggest to say to Emily? I mean, I have already emailed her asking for a status update on my application. If I continue to email her about my status, I feel that would be really annoying for her. Without sounding annoying, what would you suggest? Do you think it would be wise to email a letter of interest? Thanks for your help!

If anyone has been waiting more than a few weeks I would suggest emailing to find out your status. I sent in my app and got accepted in 3 days.

If anyone has been waiting more than a few weeks I would suggest emailing to find out your status. I sent in my app and got accepted in 3 days.
Thanks for the info....is it ok if you share your stats with us?

Technorino, when you say to constantly bombard them with emails/calls, what would you suggest to say to Emily? I mean, I have already emailed her asking for a status update on my application. If I continue to email her about my status, I feel that would be really annoying for her. Without sounding annoying, what would you suggest? Do you think it would be wise to email a letter of interest? Thanks for your help!
Have you heard back from USF?

I called admissions today because I'm going on week 6 of waiting... And the woman I spoke to told me that because of the extended deadline, decisions will still be going out through the end of the month. I'm driving myself crazy waiting, I didn't think I'd have to wait another month!

Have you heard back from USF?

I haven't heard back yet unfortunately. I emailed Emily Barton in the beginning of the week and she stated that they are in the process of finalizing the class and since it is rolling admissions, there is no set timeline of when to hear back.

I am going stir crazy just waiting tho. Coming from NC, I hope I hear soon so I can get an apartment ready and get FAFSA started.

Same here, I got the same email! I feel it is unfair that they extended the deadline and give the later applicants priority based on stats. I waited 8 weeks and still got nothing.

Same here, I got the same email! I feel it is unfair that they extended the deadline and give the later applicants priority based on stats. I waited 8 weeks and still got nothing.

Steelwill, I just sent you a private message. Hope you got it!

I feel left out :/
I never received an email....

I feel left out :/
I never received an email....

JolieFleur, What email did you end up receiving? The only reason I got an email about them finalizing the class was because I emailed them first asking about a status update and when I should hear back.