University of Toronto Plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tharcspyder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Leaving high school soon, I am very interested in pursuing Plastics. Reconstructive trauma surgery interests me the most, and University of Toronto seems like an adequate fit. Of course, I would take an undergraduate in Biology and eventually, move into the Department of Surgery. If anyone knows any information on the courses related to surgical sciences at U of T, it would be very helpful. THANKS!

Just some back story behind me, I am a student in Toronto taking the IB program.
Courses:

Hl Biology
Hl Economics
Hl English Language and Literature

Sl Chemistry
Sl Spanish
Sl Math (not studies)

Please tell me if these courses will be acceptable for applying for these programs at universities that offer surgical science programs.

Thanks everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your questions are probably better suited for the pre-med thread.

Hi everyone,

Leaving high school soon, I am very interested in pursuing Plastics. Reconstructive trauma surgery interests me the most, and University of Toronto seems like an adequate fit. Of course, I would take an undergraduate in Biology and eventually, move into the Department of Surgery. If anyone knows any information on the courses related to surgical sciences at U of T, it would be very helpful. THANKS!

Just some back story behind me, I am a student in Toronto taking the IB program.
Courses:

Hl Biology
Hl Economics
Hl English Language and Literature

Sl Chemistry
Sl Spanish
Sl Math (not studies)

Please tell me if these courses will be acceptable for applying for these programs at universities that offer surgical science programs.

Thanks everyone!!!

As far as I know, there are no 'surgical sciences' courses for undergraduate students at U of T. I could be wrong but I do not think 'surgical science' courses even exist at all. Surgery is a hands-on field and thus can only be learned by seeing then doing under supervision - which takes place in surgical residencies after the completion of medical school. The closest I think an individual can get to surgery as an undergraduate is:

1) Gross anatomy courses
2) Arts courses on the history, culture, etc. of medicine (covers surgical advancements)
3) Finding a research mentor in the (plastic) surgery departments -- I suggest this one*
4) Shadowing (plastic) surgeons -- even this may be a stretch as I don't think you can step in an OR

If your passion is in the field of Plastic Surgery, I suggest you focus on getting into medical school first. If your goal is U of T undergraduate -> U of T Medicine -> U of T Plastic Surgery Residency, here are my tips:

1) Learn U of T medical school's admissions system
1a) Make sure you take a full course load every year
1b) Take advantage of the grade-forgiveness
1c) Take course requirements
2) Take an EASY major
3) Take the absolute EASIEST courses you can possibly take as an undergraduate (RUN away from any courses with the reputation of being difficult)
4) Learn that *GPA IS KING* - Aim for a 3.9-4.0 weighted GPA. Put EVERYTHING on hold or abandon them to acheive this (forget ECs, research, MCAT and LORs).

Real Talk: Not to be a dream killer, but most people give up on medicine due to the difficult/competitive medical school admissions process in Canada. The rare few that do get into medical school often do not get into their first choice school. This is the same case with residency after medical school. Just keep this in mind before you attend undergrad.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, it really provided insight for the future.