University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

has everyone interviewed already? anyone interviewing in the next week or so?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 2/15 and just got my acceptance via e-mail! :D
The letter is dated 2/17. I totally did not expect them to get back to me so quickly!
Good luck to all those who are waiting! Hopefully, there's some good news coming your way :luck:

i got in too! Ohio State University or UW? anyone have a suggestion?

I interviewed on 2/15 and just got my acceptance via e-mail! :D
The letter is dated 2/17. I totally did not expect them to get back to me so quickly!
Good luck to all those who are waiting! Hopefully, there's some good news coming your way :luck:

Congrats Bruin0289!! I had my interview on 2/14 and just got my acceptance via e-mail too! I definitely did not expect it because they said it would take about 2-3 weeks! What a pleasant surprise! :D

Good luck to every one that will be having their interview soon and all those that are waiting!! :)

Congrats Bruin0289!! I had my interview on 2/14 and just got my acceptance via e-mail too! I definitely did not expect it because they said it would take about 2-3 weeks! What a pleasant surprise! :D

Good luck to every one that will be having their interview soon and all those that are waiting!! :)

I just got my too! Congrats everyone who has been accepted so far, looking forward to meeting you! Good luck to everyone else!

for those who interviewed/got accepted, how long was your interview?

for those who interviewed/got accepted, how long was your interview?

I think mines went at least 45 minutes. 3 people interview you and they each get approximately 15 minutes to ask you questions and then they switch off. At least that's how it went for me.

When do you guys receive interview invites after your application is complete?

It took about 3 to 4 weeks to hear back for an interview after everything was turned in but it only took two days to receive my acceptance after I interviewed.

First time posting!

I just got offered an interview today (via e-mail) for either Feb 28 or March 17. I chose March 17 for my number 1 choice since I have an important exam on Feb 28. :eek:

I'm just worried that the date is kind of late.. Anyone interviewing in March?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some good apartments around campus? I'm looking for something in the 500-650 range, obviously toward the lower end if feasible. Also, do most grad students live on or off campus? Once all my paper work goes through I will be spending a lot more time actually looking up apartments on my own, however, I figured SDN is a good place to start.

Nahnus,

I would say its all up to you and how you want to prioritize your life. If you are worried about spots not being open if you wait until March, I am sure that will not be the case because UW interviews students through April. However, it never hurts to take the earliest possible interview date. I would check with your professor to see if you can get the date moved, it's likely he/she would be rather accommodating to someone who has an interview for graduate school.

What are some good apartments around campus? I'm looking for something in the 500-650 range, obviously toward the lower end if feasible. Also, do most grad students live on or off campus? Once all my paper work goes through I will be spending a lot more time actually looking up apartments on my own, however, I figured SDN is a good place to start.

Coming from a perspective from an undergraduate here at UW...

I would consider looking for apartments closer to UW Medical Center - Roosevelt. There's a shuttle that goes between Roosevelt and the main medical center, which is next to the health science building, which is where you will do the bulk of your pharmacy work. Otherwise, it may be a 15-20 minute walk from here...which isn't too bad.

If you want to live relatively close to campus, anywhere from 7th Ave NE-9th Ave NE and NE 40th street-NE 45th street is probably where you will get the best deals. There are other gems out there but you'll have to dig deep at the right time to find them.

Right now I pay $500 a month for rent with 2 other roommates on 8th & 43rd, which is a few streets away from Roosevelt. Honestly, you end up getting what you pay for. My room can barely hold my bed and a desk and it's really cramped. But I do most of my studying at coffee places or libraries so it isn't that big of a deal to me, I use my apartment mainly to sleep and make food.

Most apartment complexes start looking to sign pre-leases for autumn right around the time spring quarter starts, which is towards the end of March. I would definitely look to consider finding apartments during that time.

Also, there are a bunch of other places that you may find cheaper housing options if you are willing to commute/bus. Greenwood, Ravenna, Ballard, just to name a few.

Hope that was helpful?

Last edited:
im trying to see if there's a relationship between the length of the interview and acceptance haha. idk if it's a good indication if the interview went long or a bad indication if the interview went short

Mine lasted 35 minutes and I was accepted.

My interview lasted 30 minutes and I was accepted

Accepted!! :love:
Interviewed on 2/23...anyone heard back?
Good luck everyone :)

Accepted!! :love:
Interviewed on 2/23...anyone heard back?
Good luck everyone :)

I also interviewed on 2/23 in the afternoon session and got the acceptance email from them yesterday! :love:
are you definitely attending uw? i am so torn between uw and minnesota, both amazing programs. i thought i was set on minnesota but after my interview at uw, im starting to rethink my decision/ argh.

revieved my acceptance email today at 1030am!!!! interviewed this past tuesday march 1st! stoked to hear from them so soon since they said it would be 10-15 days!

Interviewed 2/28, got my acceptance letter this morning. Awesome!

Now I have to decide between UW or UIC... and I'm waiting on UCSF letters too. It's gonna be a really tough decision between the three.

By the way, PharmCAS says the deposit for UW is only 100 dollars? That's really nice!

I also interviewed on 2/23 in the afternoon session and got the acceptance email from them yesterday! :love:
are you definitely attending uw? i am so torn between uw and minnesota, both amazing programs. i thought i was set on minnesota but after my interview at uw, im starting to rethink my decision/ argh.

Yea...this is my first choice. Are you?

for those who got accepted, do you guys know how long does it take for the school to look at the background check. i got a email from the background check company a week ago but didn't hear from UWSOP.

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted already :)

I interviewed on 2/14 and haven't heard back yet =\

So I looked at the PharmCAS info on UW. 107:159 accepted to interviewed ratio. How accurate is this? I'm pretty grateful for an interview invite b/c quite honestly, on paper, my academics are somewhat mediocre; and I'm an OOS candidate. I think b/c I'm extremely wellrounded and my essays were stellar, I was invited for an interview.

Can someone please be candid w/ me and tell me if UW is a school that takes all qualities of the applicant into account when making decisions or does PCAT/GPA make up ~90% of the decision?

So I looked at the PharmCAS info on UW. 107:159 accepted to interviewed ratio. How accurate is this? I'm pretty grateful for an interview invite b/c quite honestly, on paper, my academics are somewhat mediocre; and I'm an OOS candidate. I think b/c I'm extremely wellrounded and my essays were stellar, I was invited for an interview.

Can someone please be candid w/ me and tell me if UW is a school that takes all qualities of the applicant into account when making decisions or does PCAT/GPA make up ~90% of the decision?

I am also an OOS candidate and interviewed on 2/14. I received my acceptance e-mail about 5 days afterwards, but am still deciding where I want to go.

I was trying to figure out how competitive it is to be admitted into the program and saw on their website that there are only 600 applicants each year. That seems like a really low number to me, and I wonder if I read it wrong.

My GPA is not stellar, but I did well on the PCAT and had a lot of extracurricular activities.

Especially after seeing your post, I am also wondering how they choose their applicants.

for those who got accepted, do you guys know how long does it take for the school to look at the background check. i got a email from the background check company a week ago but didn't hear from UWSOP.

Wondering the same thing. I faxed the school my acceptance of their admission offer and mailed in the papers they wanted from me (according to the email) and sent in my background check stuff. I guess i'm feeling anxious to receive their admission packet with the actual letter of acceptance through the mail :)

Do you guys all have 4-10 credits for biochemistry course? I only have 3 credits of biochemistry, and my undergraduate college doesn't offer a biochemistry II course. So, it is not possible for me to complete the prereq before spring 2011. I received an email from UW saying that my application won't be processed further because of the missing 1 credit prereq

Do you guys all have 4-10 credits for biochemistry course? I only have 3 credits of biochemistry, and my undergraduate college doesn't offer a biochemistry II course. So, it is not possible for me to complete the prereq before spring 2011. I received an email from UW saying that my application won't be processed further because of the missing 1 credit prereq

After turning in my supplemental app on Jan 5th, they emailed my on a couple weeks later on the 27th to say i was missing some biochem classes (i only took the 1st section of UCLA's biochem series while an undergrad). i had NO IDEA that i needed the other biochem classes to even qualify for admission. Luckily i had just started taking the second section as a pre-req for another pharm school at the time so i played dumb and told them i was planning on taking the 3rd section all along hah. So lucky for me UCLA extension is offering the classes otherwise i'd be screwed too.

while at their interview, the current students were saying how the P1 curriculum for next year will have 1 Biochem class as opposed to their current setup of having 3 biochem classes (1 per quarter) in the P1 year. so i guess to make up for it they made it a prereq to have a comprehensive biochem background.

are there any neighboring colleges to you that may offer an biochem equivalent course? if you run it by UW maybe they'll allow it. hopefully it works out for you!

They did the same thing with a Calc I class I had. They said my class didn't meet their reqs? It's Calc I for pete's sake, how the heck do they not line up? There was "requirement" list on their site and my class met all of them anyways. It was even 4 credits!

Thanks for the runaround UW.

Seriously..UW is the only school that requires me to attach a detailed course description for each class..other schools don't care that much..I hope they will allow people to take summer class to fulfill the prereq requirement..

Do you end up taking more calculus class?

Did anyone else get accepted after having a nerve-wrecking interview? 45 min interview split between 3 interviewers; ~15 mins/each... WTH. I felt like I was speed dating, I was talking so freaking fast! There was no way I could cover all the points I want to cover in 15 mins. I... am.. nervous.

And these were not get to know you questions that I was used to... I had nothing but in depth ethical/situational questions. Maybe it was just who I interviewed with.

But anyways... yeah. Did anyone get offered a seat who thought they're interview went awry?

Did anyone else get accepted after having a nerve-wrecking interview? 45 min interview split between 3 interviewers; ~15 mins/each... WTH. I felt like I was speed dating, I was talking so freaking fast! There was no way I could cover all the points I want to cover in 15 mins. I... am.. nervous.

And these were not get to know you questions that I was used to... I had nothing but in depth ethical/situational questions. Maybe it was just who I interviewed with.

But anyways... yeah. Did anyone get offered a seat who thought they're interview went awry?

Yup!!

I felt that my interview was really intense and didn't go as well as I had hoped. I kept replaying it over in my head and thought there were things that I could have added but forgot to, as well as thing that I probably shouldn't have said. Along with a below average GPA and PCAT composite, I thought I was doomed.

But I got accepted, so there's still hope!! Maybe being an in-state resident gave me a boost, or my "personality" during the interview. OR I just over-thought everything in my head afterwards haha.

Yup!!

I felt that my interview was really intense and didn't go as well as I had hoped. I kept replaying it over in my head and thought there were things that I could have added but forgot to, as well as thing that I probably shouldn't have said. Along with a below average GPA and PCAT composite, I thought I was doomed.

But I got accepted, so there's still hope!! Maybe being an in-state resident gave me a boost, or my "personality" during the interview. OR I just over-thought everything in my head afterwards haha.

Wow this is great to hear... UW turned into my #1 after a little more research into the program. I'm still on edge though! Wish me luck! I'm an OOS'er!

Just got the email! I'm in! Woooooo!

Just got the email! I'm in! Woooooo!

congrats dude! hah that's funny you got the email after your last few posts. they probably just sensed your especially anxious & hopeful vibe to get accepted to UW haha

I certainly did. I got a mixture of both get to know you questions and situational/talk me through this situation question. I even blanked on a question, one of the interviewers asked me to explain the mechanism of action of a certain kind of drug. I absolutely knew the answer to this because I studied it as an undergrad, but I was so nervous that I couldn't remember. Also had a few situational questions about how I would give explanations to patients keeping in mind that the average patient has a science background similar to that of a 7th grader.

I also had to talk really fast to the point that my throat dried up and I started coughing and one of the interviewers had to hand me a bottle of water. Needless to say, I thought I was doomed and I was honestly expecting to get rejected; but two weeks later, I got the acceptance letter.

Just e-mailed them to withdraw my acceptance! Hope that opens up another spot :) Good luck! :luck:

Anyone else heard?? :luck:
No one post here for a while so I gotta push the thread to the first page :)
I heard that accept/waitlist/deny are sending out this month :xf:
Good luck to people who haven't head :)