University of Washington Prelim Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermie1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for a preliminary position at U. Washington and received a "provisional" preliminary medicine interview invitation. Can someone interpret what this means? My sense is that if I get a categorical interview for my main residency then they would want to interview me, but I'm not sure if this means that they would also want to interview me even without a categorical interview. Thoughts?

"Thank you for your application to the University of Washington Internal Medicine Residency Program. Based on a review of the materials supporting your application, I would like to extend a provisional invitation to visit our program and interview with me or one of our program faculty.

If you are invited to interview by a University of Washington residency program for an advanced position, and would like to be considered for a preliminary track position in our Internal Medicine program, please contact our office to schedule an interview (206-543-3605). Our team will work with you to schedule a visit following your advanced interview day, or if you will be in Seattle early enough, the afternoon before your advanced program interview."

Members don't see this ad.

I think your interpretation is correct. Vanderbilt I guess is the same way.

Yea, that means they will only interview you if you get an interview offer from UW for an advanced position. A "categorical" porogram means it INCLUDES the first year. An advanced program only includes years 2 through X, and you have to find a prelim/TY position, be it at that hospital or elsewhere.